Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Are you an Employee?
    I had an interesting conversation with someone at one of the networks the other day. The call was for something completely unrelated but as we talked, the subject came around to the current problems with tracking and parasites. I was trying to make a point, gently, but the person I was talking to immediately became defensive and argumentative. The point I was trying to make was that as an affiliate my business relations with the networks and merchants is dependant on an open association where there is a give and take. That my business is only as good as the relationship I have with a network or merchant. The response I got was surprising to say the least. This person who is also an executive of the company told me that I was an employee rather than a business.

So are all affiliates employees then?

more like independent contractors.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Of course we're not employees. We're independent contractors.

Next time someone says something that incredibly stupid, suggest to them that they ask the head of HR at their company what our status is, and why it is very dangerous for any representative of the company to suggest that we are employees. If we were employees the company would have legal liabilities they don't even want to THINK about.

Hard to believe any executive could be that ignorant.

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Try telling an ad agency that they are an 'employee' of a company they are doing an ad campaign for. I have never heard such rudeness. The day a network gives me full benefits, offers a 401K, and pays me a salary, then they can call me an employee.

You should have 'gently' told him his was a flatulating butthead and referred him here.
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

however . . .
    kinda depends on what state you work in, though. In some states if you receive only one Form 1099 from only one company it could be construed to mean you are that company's employee. So I'm told; can't prove it.

I'm leery of the companies who feel they can micromanage you. Can't do that to independent contractors.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zendozen
    This person who is also an executive of the company told me that I was an employee rather than a business.

So are all affiliates employees then?
    So where's our health coverage and the rest of the package?

What an ass ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Their legal and HR departments would be very upset if they knew that their employees were telling independent contractors that they were employees. If we were employees, they would have to comply with minimum wage laws, withhold taxes, pay unemployment insurance, and do a variety of other things.

We most certainly are not employees.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think the important thing to note here is the mind set inside this network. If you are only an employee then what say do you have in anything they do? What this says to me is you dont affect the operation of the company and you are only an employee

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    So where's our health coverage and the rest of the package?
    That's what I was thinking. I know some of these companies offer great benefits. Not to mention, if we're employees then , yeh, we need to report some of them to the labor board for not paying minimum wage (depending on how well they convert). Although on average I would estimate I earn about $30 an hour doing this stuff, so only the nonconverting merchants are failing to pay minimum wage.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Are you an employee?
    NO!

The NERVE of that idiot!

Their legal and HR departments would be very upset if they knew that their employees were telling independent contractors that they were employees.~Michael Coley
    I think their legal department really ought to know about it, too. Maybe Zendozen should contact Legal @ Network, "just for clarification"
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    When someone from a network says something stupid like that, remind them that they're not even needed for affiliate marketing to work. The networks could disappear and you'll still have merchants and affiliates partnering together making money.

This person who is also an executive of the company told me that I was an employee rather than a business.
    With executives making IGNORANT comments like that, it's easy to see why the networks are so screwed up. Employees indeed...

We are most certainly NOT employees!

Andy

What I find surprising is no one is asking what network.

Feel free to PM me
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

What an idiot! Tell the butthead that you have a friend working as an affiliate for their network who hasn't been sold anything since the last Google update and ask how they should go about getting the unemployeement compensation from them!

Watch them sing a different toon but fast!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    You should have asked him to fire you, so you could collect back pay and unemployment!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    What an idiot! Tell the butthead that you have a friend working as an affiliate for their network who hasn't been sold anything since the last Google update and ask how they should go about getting the unemployeement compensation from them!
    Ha-ha-ha.... This is a good one, Sandra!

Geno

Noun: employee
    1. A worker who is hired to perform a job.
    Noun: marketer
    1. Someone who promotes or exchanges goods or services for money.

Some here, still have jobs, so they must obey their bosses.

Some of us told our last boss "Take this job and shove it, I ain't workin' here no more." I did that many years ago, but I didn't say it, I just left a Johnny Paycheck CD, on their desk and walked away for ever.

ABW Ambassador
    Got the name of the executive who told you that?

Call the HR, tell them what that exec said, give the name of the exec and ask for all the employment benefits that are entitled to their employees. :
    Last edited by womanht; November 8th, 2005 at 10:46 PM. Reason: put icon

It really doesn't matter what network or what executive said this, what matters is that they think this. We as affiliates need more control over what happens with our business. I try to do that with emails to merchants pointing out parasites that steal from us both. I write to anyone in authority that could possibly help us in the fight for fair trade. I try to take a proactive position and follow through.

Calling the company in question would really do no good because one other thing this person also said was we do not run our business based on what is said on Abestweb we do what is best for our company. They will always do what is best for the company and that will never change and that is to expected. But that is also what affiliates must also do.

If there is no organization on our side then nothing will really change.

ABW Ambassador
    So what's the plan? To organize like employees into a union and then they won't call you an employee anymore? And if you get organized all of a sudden they'll listen to you? Not following exactly what you want.

"We as affiliates need more control over what happens with our business."

You're 100% in control of your business. You choose which merchants you partner with. What you can do is ask your merchants to open up on a network you're comfortable with or open up an indy program bypassing the networks. And there are merchants who rather be on a network and for those merchants i'm going to suggest they move on over to Buy.at when they come on over.

ABW Ambassador
    I am in enough control of my business to ignore a stupid statement made by a single merchant. I am in control enough to understand that one person's opinion is not fact nor rule for anyone else, and just because one person foolishly thinks it, does not mean all others do as well. You need to be a little more secure in who you are to not let a simple fool bother you so much.

Chet

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    When someone from a network says something stupid like that, remind them that they're not even needed for affiliate marketing to work. The networks could disappear and you'll still have merchants and affiliates partnering together making money.
    One of my favorite lines when I was working in the "real" world in sales was to remind the book keeper (who would balk at my big commission checks) that she was overhead, I was profit. Shut her up every time.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    There was an AM who phoned and demanded I put up their links prominently on my site. Asking why I had the competitor's links up and not theirs.

I hung up on him, went through my sites to search for any links to that merchant and replaced those links with the competition, logged into my account and deactivated it.

We are not employees. We choose who we work with and how much we work we do to promote each merchant.

I guess some networks just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    One of my favorite lines when I was working in the "real" world in sales was to remind the book keeper (who would balk at my big commission checks) that she was overhead, I was profit. Shut her up every time.
    Exactly. That network exec is an overhead & zendozen, you are the profit.

-nishith

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I used to work for a real estate development company - mostly salesmen and a handful of "overhead" employees. I was the development planner and had to remind my boss that the sales people would have nothing to do if I didn't provide them the inventory. Got "employee of the year" award that year, a raise, 3.2 acres of prime real estate and many other perks.

As far as AM goes, I run my own business and choose the merchant/network I work with. I hire 'em and fire 'em.
    ~Ernie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast