As I watch the recent posts about the Winsock hack I see lots of responses from angry people. But as I have seen in the past all the anger and indignation will wane and fall away. Some cute dog contest post will cheer everyone up and it will be business as usual.

I donít see it changing anytime soon because there is no organization among affiliates. It is our nature to be secretive because it would be foolish to shown your hole card. This forum is a great place to learn about problems but it lacks the ability to get more than a couple of people off their ass to do something in response to the threats we face daily from illegal competition.

Some suggestions have been made but it is again only a small core group of people that seem to respond or have a vested interest in getting something done.

If we do not organize there is no point to the angry posts.

How can we unite and in the process help ourselves?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I feel your angst, zen.... yet to do nothing is to give in as well. Donuts is doing an excellent job at motivating members, perhaps this will be enough this time. In a loose confederation such as this, though, I think that, in the end, the weight of responsibility should truly fall on the Merchants themselves for promoting change.

It's the merchants, IMO, that can cause this to happen for a number of reasons:

1. They hold the money purse.
    2. They do not wish to participate in illicit transactions.
    3. They do not wish to pay commissions on non-commissionable transactions.
    4. They abhor bad press.
    5. They love good press - and the media loves a good crusade.
    6. They are more open about their site's existance.

So, perhaps, it is simply our job to serve as watch dogs, or perhaps catalysts of change, since unity seems to be an unreachable goal to sustain.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with Elbow's assessment. I think a well-aimed firing of a Reversal Cannon would disincentivize all these crooks.

They are more open about their site's existance.
    Well, that's pretty much mandatory; you can't get affiliates without telling the affiliates where to sign up! However, affiliates gain nothing by letting other affiliates know where their sites are.

I bet merchants'd be a lot more closed-mouthed on boards that are full of nothing but competing merchants...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread