An open letter to CJ and Ebay
    The first 4 versions of this were so filled with expletives that I'm glad I didn't post them. Now that my anger is more under control, I can hopefully build a more constructive post.

First, thanks to Tracy for sleuthing the source of the Ebay reversals of transactions occurring on October 10.

As I was working through my anger and reading the various posts and trying to figure out what was going on, a thought occurred to me: "Why did affiliates have to play detective in order to discover that an errant duplicate commission was now being rectified?"

The thing that bothers me the most with both CJ and Ebay is the complete and utter lack of proactive customer service by either company. You are giant black holes of information... where inquiries go, never to be heard of again, and from whence nothing helpful ever emanates.

I don't claim to be a business expert. In fact, I have no formal business training. What I do have is 15+ years of experience on the brick & mortar side of things where customer service is key.

How difficult would it have been for someone at CJ or Ebay to send out a note like the following, in advance, to Ebay affiliates?

Dear Ebay Affiliate,

Due to circumstances beyond our control on October 10, 2005, some commissions were calculated erroneously, resulting in double commissions being applied to your account. We have identified the error and on November 7 we will be posting reversals to rectify the imbalance.

You will be able to identify the affected transactions and reconcile them by clicking on the following link at CJ (please substitute your PID for the XXXXXX):

https://members.cj.com/member/XXXXXX...5&dtType=event

If you need assistance in reading this report, please do not hesitate to call us at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

We apologize for this inconvenience and we are working hard to make sure this does not happen again.

We value your efforts as a member of the CJ-Ebay affiliate partnership!
    It's not rocket science. It's just common sense. It's good customer service.

That's all many of us have ever asked for: some indication that either company actually gives a damn, and has any interest at all in actually helping affiliates. It's the continual deafening silence and unresponsive customer service that is maddening. We, as affiliates, work hard to drive traffic to you, and while that effort is primarily to make our own living, it makes your living as well. The apparent callous disregard for affiliates has, and will continue to, alienate affiliates.

I realize that, as the 800-lb gorillas in your respective fields, you don't have to care. You don't have to make an effort to provide customer service. Whether affiliates are happy or not, or some leave due to poor service, that you will continue to make your money.

OK, so it's not worth the time and effort to assist the bottom 95% of affiliates because it's the top 5% that make your money. You're right. It is entirely your prerogative to not give a damn.

But think about how much better the program and network *could* be if some efforts at proactive customer service were actually made? Wouldn't that benefit everyone?

It is anathema to me how this simple concept apparently does not resonate with either company.

Is it really that tough to understand? How much money or man hours would it actually have cost to send out an email like the one I wrote above? Is that so beyond the pale to your way of doing business that the thought never occurred to anyone?

Are we as affiliates really asking SO much by wanting to be kept in the loop and informed, as opposed to wandering in the dark?

Yes, I (and many others) come here to rant and rave about CJ and/or Ebay. Why? No information is ever forthcoming before the fact. Customer service emails go unanswered for days and sometimes weeks (and many never get responded to at all).

How much consternation and frustration would have been avoided in just this one instance, if someone... ANYONE... would have bothered to just pause and think about how affiliates might be affected.

Apparently no one at Ebay or CJ thinks like this. And that's just sad.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

I'm in agreement with the above post.

And I'd like to say thank goodness ABW is here. If not for ABW, many of us would REALLY be in the dark about CJ and cronies.

Andy

hear hear..
    if not for ABW, Tracy, and others i would be totally in the dark..

thanks guys!

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread