ABW Ambassador
    How do you improve conversions
    When conversions look poor how do you improve conversions?
    Any ideas?

I'll start.
    What I do is to replace more and more of the links of the nonconverting merchants with the converting ones.

I've found that more options provide a better conversion rate. For example you can have a single product and list 15 prices. Since you're clear about what's going on the customer is less likely to accidentally click an affiliate link. If you coax the user into clicking your link to look at a larger photo or to know the price you'll get much worse conversion rates. Answer all their questions before they click the link.

Now if you just want to improve the sheer number of conversions you can invest in some advertising, create a useful shopping mechanism, address customer questions and concerns and simply help the customer with the purchase process. I read on ABW a while ago that the key to running a successful website is to help the customer solve a problem.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    I try to know who my target audience is as closely as possible, and then try to talk to them in their own language. The stats give huge clues to not only terminology but also to specifics that they're looking for, so then I try to adjust the copy for them and hunt through merchant sites to figure out who's got their specifics and which ones specialize in either the specific products or the type of "look" on a site that's liable to be attractive to them.

I also think it's important that merchants provide creatives that have emotional appeal for the target audience they cater to, it makes it easier to work with them and send them traffic that's targeted to their particular sites.

Hi All,

I'd say, make sure that your merchants are top-notch and can sell: look at their websites and do some pretend shopping; checkout the return policy... Check and see if their site tells you if they have the product in stock... Check and see if the prices are competitive... Check and see how helpful and nice they are and how far they bend to make a customer happy... Check their cart technoligy, is it modern and up to date; how many ways can you make a purchase... Then after doing all this if you would personally buy from them yourself, I say you have a keeper and should promote them.

Hope this Helps, and Love You,
    HumbleFish
    Last edited by HumbleFish; November 9th, 2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: fixed wording: added the word many

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    Hi All,

I'd say, make sure that your merchants are top-notch and can sell: look at their websites and do some pretend shopping; checkout the return policy... Check and see if their site tells you if they have the product in stock... Check and see if the prices are competitive... Check and see how helpful and nice they are and how far they bend to make a customer happy... Check their cart technoligy, is it modern and up to date; how many ways can you make a purchase... Then after doing all this if you would personally buy from them yourself, I say you have a keeper and should promote them.
    And while you're at it, tell your audience why you chose the merchant and list some of the criteria above. Let them know that you have a reason for promoting them and give them a reason to purchase.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

And while you're at it, tell your audience why you chose the merchant and list some of the criteria above. Let them know that you have a reason for promoting them and give them a reason to purchase. Snib
    Nothing beats a good recommendation. If your recommendations are trust worthy, then your customer will depend on you to provide good choices. Sounds like increased conversions to me.

Just look at Ophra's and Martha Stewart's conversion rate. Sweet!!! And you're looking for a fraction of what they make.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Know your customers. Are they shopping for themself or for a gift? This is the most important factor, IMHO. Someone who's shopping for themself is more likely to be focused on buying a specific thing, but might be willing to look at your suggestions for other options. Someone who's shopping for a gift is probably more flexible in what they will consider buying, but price is especially important.

Offer the customer choices. Don't like this one? How about that one? Don't like either one? Why not take a look at these similar products? Depending on what you're marketing, there might be numerous points of similarity you can work with to entice your customer to look at other products. They might be interested in products from the same manufacturer, same size, same color, same theme, same price, same designer, etc. I believe this is especially important when the customer is shopping for a gift.

One one of the sites I use Joomla on, I have a eBay page that lists the latest listings for my category. That never did much good.

Then I started using the Newsflash feature in Joomla to list in that area some items that were fresh auctions and of particular interest to my audience, and the $12.00 pops started rolling in. (As well as the $.27 rev shares )

It's a little manual, since I have to write a 2 line blurb about the item, but if you have some nice niche sites that get heavy traffic, it's worth the effort.

Then I started using the Newsflash feature in Joomla to list in that area some items that were fresh auctions and of particular interest to my audience, and the $12.00 pops started rolling in. (As well as the $.27 rev shares [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] )
    Is Joomla part of eBay's tools? I do the same thing with eBay auctions but haven't heard of Joomla.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Exclamation
    Joomla is a content management system, open source, which some webmasters hate, and others love. Joomla.org
    Last edited by Noth; November 11th, 2005 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Spelling. Not enough coffee yet.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Take a look at everything from the initital product display (affiliates showcase link) to merchants landing page from the shoppers perspective. His/Her perceived value, before they click, can be influenced by the creativity of the affiliate. Most Merchants with a lot of products don't devote the time to each product, or sub-category of products, in their ecatalog. Out do their display efforts, or choose a merchant who's product detail page is exceptional from a buyers viewpoint. Perceived value before the click should be enhanced after the click by the merchant's post sales policies. The landing page should breed trust in the merchant isn't a known enity. Price should be competitive, return policy good, and merchant/Mfgr guarantee disclosed.

So pick out a under promoted good product in any honest merchants arsenal and send targeted traffic to just that item. If it doesn't convert then the sales tracking is broken or the shopper sees negatives you didn't notice at first glance. These could be a merchant first shoving an e-mail signup or friggin survey in front of the shopper rightfully branding the merchant as a info peddler using a product as bait. Pleeeasee... would you agree to show your drivers licence and credit card to some store greeter before you begin shopping. NEVER SHOWCASE A MERCHANT who pops a newsletter or daily deal e-mail signup form on your visitor. They AREN"T merchants in the eyes of shoppers ...they're info peddlers like those mall and in-store survey fine folks...

Perceived value met, or specific niche product sought = conversions.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Good advise All... Thanks.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I like to check my stats and analyze the search strings that got them to my site. Sometimes you can get a better understanding of what surfers are looking for, and refocus the page a bit. It's not enough to market the way you want them to find you, you have to market the way they are EXPECTING to find you.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    "When conversions look poor how do you improve conversions?"

Coupons Let's say you have Lane Bryant stuff on your site. Do you know this weekend only they have a 40% off coupon? 40% off with only 2 days to use it. Conversions jump. Product link with a promotion (coupon or something) probably some of the highest converting traffic you can send a merchant's way.

15 years and counting
    I'm sure you're right Trust. I saw Michael Coley conversion graph at CJ, much better than mine.
    But, I've a different business model.
    I made the calculation of how much I'll make with such ratio. Quite impressive, but the bottom line is to make money with a web site you like.
    Will I make as much money with an other model? I don't know!

Action Jackson - King of the World
    The problem with coupons is that they are very hard to keep up on especially if you have over a hundred merchants on your site.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    The problem with coupons is that they are very hard to keep up on especially if you have over a hundred merchants on your site.
    Automate their uploading!

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread