Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    $1,098.90 Sale
    One of my affiliates just earned a 12% commission on that.... Good job!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Very nice!

Affiliate Manager
    Is it the peak "Tarp" time of the year?

They make perfect Xmas gifts, Chet, right up there with cologne and ties. Errrr....

Nice. Nice. Congratulations to that affiliate (is he/she's reading this)!

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    They make perfect Xmas gifts, Chet, right up there with cologne and ties. Errrr....
    and they're right handy when the cuzzins come callin'

That must be one HUMONGOUS tarp. Either that or everyone they know is gettin' a tarp for Christmas.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    That must be one HUMONGOUS tarp. Either that or everyone they know is gettin' a tarp for Christmas.
    Construction company, in this case, but I sell a large number of tarps, ranging in size from 100x100-160x160 as Baseball Field Covers, Grain Covers, Football Field Covers, etc. The nice thing about this sale, affiliate-wise, is that, since I allow for multiple purchases and track email/phone calls, the company may order directly by email from this point on, which would mean that the affiliate will get a commission repetitively until the customer happens to click through via someone else. They may never order again.....or they may order by email for years.....

ABW Ambassador
    Can you accept credit cards yet or is it still Paypal? I remember that being the only thing holding me back. I think you can use CC thru Paypal? I just checked, still Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    ... track email/phone calls, the company may order directly by email from this point on, which would mean that the affiliate will get a commission repetitively until the customer happens to click through via someone else...
    Cool. How do you know the offline sales (non-cookie) are from what affiliate? Does ShareASale support this somehow with a feature?

Thanks,
    Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Peter,

I'll take that question... my brain doesn't always remember things the way it's supposed to, but from what I recall we helped initiate that service with Shareasale a few years back. It's quite simple, really. Insert a bit of code and out pops the affiliates ID# next to the telephone number. When a customer calls to place an order they are asked for their "Promo Code" (the Promo Code being the affiliate ID#) and there you have it... sales tracked by phone. All "Certified Premier Merchants" with Shareasale are required to track phone sales.

Right now, I physically track it. My site is rather primitive, actually, however, most of the larger sales involve me actually talking with the customer, and tracking their search process down. Once an order is placed by phone or email, I also check the customer for previous orders and link it that way to the affiliate. In this instance, the order went straight through my site, but in others it will require some amount of trust on the affiliate's part. But, then, I am retentatively honest.

@Frank - right, but that is still an online originated sale at least to the point where the customer reaches the merchant site. I was thinking of purely offline where let's say the customer calls up the merchant 6 months later without having gone online at all. Or faxing in an order. Or sending a carrier pigeon

@elbow - Another method I already was aware of is using what some affiliate software calls "lifetime identifier". It means importing the offline sales to the tracking system or elsewhere upstream. The customer name or company name is looked up and the "affiliate of record" gets the credit.

Checking for previous orders manually makes sense. Honest merchants will find a way. I also like your idea of talking to the customer - not just to track how they found you but maybe upsell them too...

Cheers,
    Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread