chitika
    just signed up with them but I just wanted to know if anyone uses them and are clean?

btw, I learned about them from pirillo's website.

[edit] damn the way I pronounce it, ah never mind.

Still experimenting with them but it's been fairly positive so far.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Just started a trial run a few days ago. Only a handful of clicks so far, but what I see so far seems fairly promising. The the cost-per-click is pretty comparable to, or slightly higher than Adsense for similar items. Clickthrough ratio seems a bit lower though. Still looks to have pretty good potential in some spots.

Was just looking at my reports and they have audited the revenue up until 10-31-2005, looks like they dropped over half what it was compared to unaudited. Just wanted to see what everyone else is seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by qball0213
    Was just looking at my reports and they have audited the revenue up until 10-31-2005, looks like they dropped over half what it was compared to unaudited. Just wanted to see what everyone else is seeing.
    Ouch!! I'm testing them on one site and my earnings per click are fairly decent, but I'm not making as much as AdSense was doing. If they audit half my earnings I'll be doing *far* worse than AdSense. It really depends on your demographic. Mine may not be the best fit, so I'm sure a more accurate demographic would be more suitable and do better.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    I don't promote them and I won't now either after hearing the horror stories I've been hearing during the last few days. Check out this blog entry http://www.jensense.com/archives/200...a_publish.html
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    From the blog I am seeing over 1/2 of the income confiscated after an audit. Sounds like the IRS has been giving them lessons in auditing!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I've been paid by them, but they took my 50% of earnings in their audit. CTR is pathetic, I will drop them soon.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Too many funky things going on with this place. My revenue is dropping, not increasing and they seem to change the rules on a whim. I'm taking them off my sites and not looking back.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I finished removing them completely a couple days ago (still got 1 mystery impression somewhere)... I'm very disappointed with Chitika & that's being nice... If we got anywhere near 100% of the unaudited revenue, I'd stick it out through the hard times. The "curiosity clicks" fiasco hit me hard w/ a loss of around 75%. After that, I made some good tweaks to the code, keywords and placement & seemed to bounce back well. And then out of nowhere, my CTR dropped back to the lowest it had been for no reason whatsoever. That and the claims of 30-80% loss of revenue w/ audits made up my mind. They've been stripped off of my sites & I hope to retain enough after the audit at the end of this month to get a check for November's earnings.

Some people are talking "fraud" & some are playing the "told you so" game because it was still in Beta, but here's my view - it was a live program, open to the public, so it's no longer in Beta. Do the damn testing on your dime w/ a select group of publishers you let in who are willing to lose time and money! I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was "fraud" but I think we deserve a better explanation of "fraudulent clicks" - there are many cases of people using geotargeting, so they wouldn't be getting clicks from unsupported countries, thus eliminating that source of "fraudulent clicking" - but they're coming back w/ huge cuts from the audit. And many members of Chitika also use Adsense on the same sites, so if a visitor is clicking on ads to cause harm to the publisher, it would stand to reason that Google would have caught onto this long ago & taken action.

In any event, all I wanted was to have more baskets for my eggs, but now I'm having to put more of my eggs back in my Adsense basket & look for another option down the line and hope that Smartpricing doesn't hurt me too much...

On a brighter note, I got to keep that one click from the last day of October (I joined Chitika on 10/31/05)

I tried Chitika on one of my sites (about 300 pages) and thought I was doing great. BUT after a recent audit lost 80% of my November earnings.

Chitika only audits at the end of the month, so you really have no idea of how you're doing. They disallow what appear to be fraudulent or just 'curiosity' clicks, but have not defined 'appear'.

They also have redigned they're eminimalls so that it's harder to click through. For examples the images aren't clickable.

All in all, it has been a very bad experience.

Jazz Times

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, that's another thing... based on a couple of factors, one being geotargeting, it's evident that they are able audit clicks almost instantly, but choose not to. Daily stats don't show up until about midday (here in CA)the following day, so that's a whole day they have to audit, but they choose not to. They make us wait until the end of the month and then hit us where it counts. Waiting a day to see if your changes had any positive effects was BS to begin with, but not being able to know if we can keep that revenue until the end of the following month is cause to say, "buh bye!"

They've really blown a great upfront hype - I'll never trust them again.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm glad this thread came up. I was just considering joining that the other day (after forgetting about the beta part). Now I'll stay far away!

Beta or not, it smells mighty fishy to me!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Times
    They disallow what appear to be fraudulent or just 'curiosity' clicks, but have not defined 'appear'.
    Wow! What, other than curiosity, and the fact that the ad is related to something they have an interest in, would make a person click on a contextual ad? I thought that was what contextual advertising was all about!

Sounds to me like they have a cash-flow problem and this was an easy solution.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I'm glad I never ran their ads after I signed up

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Interesting to watch the various iterations of the Original project I Beta Tested when it was called The ImpulseBuy Network. Even had an insta-purchase function with a CyberCash interface. Inktomi bought it and sat on the impulse buy showcases during the .com bomb era. Then out came ePods and now eMiniMalls by Chitika. God I've been on the sidelines of this ecommerce industry too long to not make money at it... vintage 1998... http://www.ecomcity.com/whitepaper.htm
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    I never even considered signing up, it was being pimped too hard by too many hard-core MLM types looking for their second-tier gravy train to roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I never even considered signing up, it was being pimped too hard by too many hard-core MLM types looking for their second-tier gravy train to roll in.
    That it was. Kinda just rewards, huh?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Do you notice some affiliate/advertising forums who still have their webmasters promoting it? Talking about how Chitika will surely fix the problems? **COUGH**

Chet

When Chitika first came out, there wasn't a referral program. It seemed sincere when certain affiliates started to rave about it. But then I noticed that these affiliates were all set to go with their sites recommending Chitika the very same day that the referral program was initiated.

I've only been associated with this industry for about 3 years, so I don't have the experience of sussing out the scams, but this was a lesson well learned.

Jazz Times

ABW Ambassador
    It's just too many hands on the numbers. First them only counting certain clicks and not "curiosity clicks" and then on top of that an audit. A lot of messing around with the numbers.

hey thanks guys, I looked at the numbers and have found that chitika is just taking up space...so I have pulled them.

thanks!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread