Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Are most Aff sites equivalent to spam?
    I'm just asking.

Hmmmm.... What makes you ask so?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If had an affiliate program we'd all get rich
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    >I'm just asking.

Want to start a riot!!!

mine aren't

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Hmmmm.... What makes you ask so?

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    F Mike, hey Charlie , for just $49.95 I can sell you a CD with 10,000,000, email names, just make sure that you don't send the same emails to those 10,000,000, email names more than once a day to any of those 10,000,000 recipients, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    why not give the answer more upright.
    I insist a open-to-all manners, so my answer to Electropulse's question is No.
    Although some reveive it may treat it as spam.
    Take it easy.
    A spam can be someone else's meat

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chenyingjing
    Take it easy.
    A spam can be someone else's meat
    Heck... some offers to make that meat larger!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I could be wrong, but from the results that I've recently seen I think google and the other search engines think so?

If the results that appear are totally unrelated to what the searcher is looking for.

If it is relevant to the search but almost all the results show the same merchant.

I think its spam.

As affiliates, we are all spammers whether wittingly or not. It's a question of degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    As affiliates, we are all spammers whether wittingly or not. It's a question of degree.
    How do you mean that? I go WAY outta my way to avoid getting tagged as anything. There was even a period of time I wasn't paying any ppc or submitting and I got email from a few merchants saying they'd yank me cuz my sites were higher than theirs in the SEs. And they also said that their name was being displayed in the search results and they were blaming me. I showed them my pages and meta info and showed them how low in the page their name actually was, and how none of us are actually responsible for how a search engine displays it's results. Some merchants think that just because they do ppc that they're entitled to the whole SE results. It's not my fault how the SEs post me. I'm just better at descriptions and writing about their offering on one page of my site than they are in their entire site.

Sorry for the rant . . . got carried away . . . it'll never happen again . . . I swear . . . really . . .

One man's spam is another's canned ham delicacy, and in the land of the middlemen the one with the cookie is king.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

I guess it would depend on your definition of "most". There are a ton of spam affiliate sites, and slightly less really customer focused, value added ones.

And it seems to scale differently depending on the category of the product thet promote...

Are most Aff sites equivalent to spam?
    lol, depends on who you are asking and who is answering...

Ebudae

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infoTim
    One man's spam is another's canned ham delicacy
    Exactly.

SPAM = Search Positions Above Mine. Any listing which is mine, is automatically Not Spam. (I do try to make my sites not cheesy, unlike how the adsense-spammers' sites are! But that's a matter of site design.)

If it is relevant to the search but almost all the results show the same merchant.
    Then hopefully the search is "bulbs" (and all related terms, too) and the merchant is ME! And, that should be ALL the results, in EVERY engine, not "almost" all of them.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Then hopefully the search is "bulbs" (and all related terms, too) and the merchant is ME! And, that should be ALL the results, in EVERY engine, not "almost" all of them.
    Dream on, girl.......

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy

Dream on, girl.......
    Well, failing that, I'll just take the top 50 of each engine--in a row.
    It's not like Br*ck's or T*lips.com are anything the searchers would want to see, anyway

The answer is, YES, 'most' being the keyword in your question.
    Some people went on defense thinking you meant "spamming the search engines", I think, you meant "spamming the Internet" as a whole.

If you want a steady income doing affiliate marketing, it doesn't make sense to spam search engines. They will kick your sorry ass, sooner or later, as many examples has been seen here or elsewhere.

In SE worlds Yes.

In consumer worlds no.

The conflict exists because the SE's want to maximize consumer experience and results so they make algos, and also want to monetize that level as well as all the other levels of the buying experience.

As such Affs = bad because SE's can't really monetize throughout unless Google buys VCLK ... BTW - that is a long term buy and hold deal for VCLK, but back on subject ...

My same example from years ago ...

Martell XO cognac typed into google results in:

http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRITS/martell.html

I still buy through that link and it still represents true consumer centric affiliate marketing, it's years later and the landscape has changed (google results page) but #1 SERP is still even after update this, that and the other V1, V2, V3.

Think about it.

Is that page spam? why isn't it? and why has it survived? Why haven't you?

This post not to smack anyone with a fish, but to show longevity and what real AM is (my opinion of it - not necessarily yours - don't flame me, let's talk and learn - we've got a proven site and survivor - let's learn).
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

IMO not many people must compete for rankings under the term Martell XO Cognac if that page is #1, considering its lowly PR2.

Only 31,400 other results. I would guesstimate that most of those are merely homepages mentioning it, rather than serious SEOers trying to get ranked under that. Time for a WordTracker check--how many searches for this term?
    *Checks*
    It shows ZERO searches for the term. While there was obviously at least one (YOU), there weren't even enough to hit the WordTracker radar at the time I'm posting this. So, it's definitely not a competitive term.

Snagging a #1 on a noncompetitive term is easy breezin'. Nothing special required, just a minimal amount of keyword targeting.

Other than that, it looks reminscent of pages on my old sites (although not nearly as hard-sell), pages which I still have up--so I can't exactly put it down!

it still represents true consumer centric affiliate marketing,
    I disagree, that's a sales page only it's low-key instead of high; that's just a style difference. And, I think it's anathema to AM and sales in general to have that free leak to Martell's site. That really made my hair stand straight up, even though there's no readily obvious way to buy at Martell.com.

Having a low-key sales pitch is no more "consumer centric" than an obvious sales pitch. It's a style difference. It's still a sales pitch! The only difference there, is that they will appeal to a different audience than a site (like mine) that's more direct about it.

Is that page spam? why isn't it?
    I like how you're assuming it's not! But, the SEs would say it is...
    Personally I would say that it's not, but the "why" is pretty pragmatic: Because, it's a lot like my old pages. So, it just can't be spam!

The real consumer probably doesn't give a flying squirrel one way or the other about SE spam (unless it's so thick that it blocks them from finding what they want) nor do they likely even know the term.

With that particular page, they just would learn to scroll down and click that link at the bottom, if they didn't just go to the merchant site. I can't see the Average Joe wanting to reread the review once they actually tasted the spirits in question.

and why has it survived?
    Lack of serious, skilled-at-SEO, competition!

If a worthwhile amount of people were shown to search for that, it would probably draw enough real competition to whack them out of that listing and it wouldn't be much difficulty to do it...

In any search term with a decent amount of searches, and serious competition, I doubt they'd consistently rule the engine like that.

Take "Jose Cuervo" for example (55 searches/day). Nowhere to be found...
    #12 under the more specific "Jose Cuervo Anejo"...but, only 3 searches/day, for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Lack of serious, skilled-at-SEO, competition!
    Competition is most of it, but I believe SE's (google) are also throwing up extra roadblocks for sites that try ranking for commercial terms. Terms that people buy adwords ads for.

Waiting for more feedback ... I gave some really good fodder there.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    OK, I'll bite.

still represents true consumer centric affiliate marketing
    It's consumer-centric in the sense that the verbiage is appropriate to the product itself and to the price of the product. There's some image management going into it, especially that the link to the company's site adds a bit of class and raison d'etre for priciness by reason of the elegant design that the site the link it's on doesn't have because of its plain vanilla design.

From a search engine's point of view, since bots can't identify "class" or "ambiance," that outbound to the company could easily represent an authoritative outbound that isn't an affiliate link, and the most on-topic possible. There's an equal balance of affiliate and non-affiliate links on the page. That makes it a signal of quality. Taken by itself, that page isn't pretty, but doesn't look spammy or SEO-ish.

Back to links, the site on the whole has a lot of excellent quality inbound links, including an ODP listing. Based on the IBLs (and the fact that they "give away" in context valuable links for free) it gives off signals of being a trusted/trustworthy site.

What's wrong is that while there are two links going off the page, it doesn't link back to any of the other pages on the site that I can find, and doesn't include any common site navigation, so that kind of makes it "orphaned" from the rest of the site.

BUT the bottom line is that the text is written appropriately for the product and the user. Whether the engines can tell that by the algo is doubtful but there are other signals for them to pick up on that it's a quality site.

I think that regular surfers are catching on and avoiding "most" aff sites and they are visiting shopping portals like MS Shopping, Aol instore and shopping.com more and more.

so could it be that the days of throwing up links and carbon copy websites with horrid logos are pretty much ending?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast