Promoting a country online
    Hello everyone,

This is a serious thread and might a bit out-there but does anyone have any ideas on how to promote a country, online?

I mean, assuming everything can be done via one main 'country' portal, which can handle travel/holidays, foreign investments, starting a business, etc,
    The goal: increase travel/tourism to this country and to improve the economy (via foreign direct investments, creation of start-ups, invest in stock exchange, etc etc).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to promote a country online?
    The aim is to promote awareness of the country, which will generate information-seeking people, which in turn visit the website.
    So... how do you market a country, online? How do you create a 'buzz' around a country and make people interested in it, for all the right reasons?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated and yeah I do realise it is a bit of an 'out-there' question, but assume someone has been contracted to do such a thing?
    Last edited by Rogi; November 11th, 2005 at 01:11 PM.

Seems to be the most logical place to start would be keywords. See what people are searching for online and use those.

Are you making this an affiliate site or purely informational?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Well.... technically it is an affiliate site, assume it will get paid for the sales it generates.
    But don't think of sales in terms of product sales. Think of it in terms of investors referred, the travel/tourism increase in the country, the improvement in the economy, etc (now assume there are methods put in place for 'tracking').

Letting go the usual affiliate issues (tracking, etc), just assume the purpose of this 'contract' is to promote a country over the internet, which also includes development of a website. But the main aim is to market the country to people who have never heard of it, so that they want to see it, travel there, invest there, or just read up about the country.

Now assume there is a budget of US$8M-$12M.

Rather than looking at keywords, the goal is to generate keywords. To make more people search and learn and go to this country, etc.

Ok, it's a complex thing here, but looking for any suggestions. As an example, someone has suggested "Pitch travel to the country on popular travel sites", etc. Just looking for more and more suggestions (however vague or detailed they may be).

If you want to know which country it is all about, and you think that will help with any suggestions, please PM me.

Once again, any and all suggestions, tips, ideas, etc are greatly appreciated.

If you want to get the word out to travellers, contract a piece to be written by a freelancer in a travel magazine.

Advertise on travel sites.

Contests - giveaways with an all inclusive paid getaway to your country.

Look into advertising on the travel channel

Are those the kind of ideas you are looking for?

-Christopher Morley

Talking
    you'll have to start it as a touristy site or become twelve people.

I have a ton of ideas for this but most of them are centered around attracting tourists to that country. There are many things can be done there because you're trying to reach consumers.

As far as investors go, you can try but, I doubt that you can convince any international investors or big money people to check out a website for investment opportunities in a country. These types of research and actual investement decisions take place a higher place than the innternet.

Don't tell me the country is Nigeria

Yeah Zimmy, that's the stuff I'm after

Herb : There's a team of 10 people on this, spreading thin is ok because a lot of areas need to be covered from Tourism to Investment to business (i.e. startup and expansion, and promoting tax-free zones, etc) and more... in the offline world there are a lot of ways to promote a country, but online, what do you do other than travel sites and press releases/articles?

As for investments, it would be officially Government endorsed by the country but the main focus isn't around the website, it's more about creating popularity of the country.

Sam Bay: No, not Nigeria... It's a European country, on the way to joining the EU.

I know it's not Turkey, so which one is it?

Is there a reason why you would only want to utilize online marketing? Seems as though you are limiting yourself.

Personally speaking, if I hear of something offline (whether it is in print, television etc.), the first thing I do, if I want to know more, is do an online search. I find my answers and more info online but I don't necessarily learn of everything online.

-Christopher Morley

Zimmy, the offline international promotion of the country is also being developed (online and offline marketing are separate teams, who are collaborating on creating the same 'brand' or 'image' of the country) so the focus of the online marketing team is to promote to the hundreds of millions of internet users, who as you have said 'find more info' online. The goal is to make them hear about it, and then want to know more about it, both offline and online.
    But basically the aim is to brand the country and online is a powerful way to do it. Travel sites etc are great ideas, press releases / articles also, but if anyone has any more suggestions please feel free to share. I'm looking for stuff like 'country X should focus more in Y and brand or image itself as Z so that it can take the niche market at Y+Z. To promote in niche Y+Z online, country X can...' (if that makes any sense).

If they hear about a country in whatever way, most likely they are going to go online to read more... So there better be a cool site waiting for them.

Sent ya a PM.

Ebudae

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogi
    but online, what do you do other than travel sites and press releases/articles?
    don't forget the standard site promotion techniques. even a small steady budget for all the SE-specific methods like Adwords.

I think you need to know what this country has to offer ?.
    what is it strong points?
    what kind of infrastructure it has , does it have tourist locations,
    is it cheap to holiday in this place,
    is it cheap to buy property.
    is there still lots of corruption,
    as if you say its about to join the EU, then it must be an EX block country.
    I would guess its eastern European. they have lots of corruption.
    but thats not always a bad thing !.
    trust me !
    it was much easier for my company in cyprus before it joined the EU.
    So... what does it have to offer ??
    once you know this, then market the strong points.
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Pictures - people like pictures - with comments, like an online slideshow.

That'll get people there, that'll give inbound links. Are there some country specific topics you could use as keywords, like say vodka for Russia, tea for England, champagne for France? Have sections of informational stuff, unique content that isn't anywhere else on the web - that's where pictures help.

I think it's a case of using whatever interest generating topics the country has and then have other pages that promote the country in the way that give the message you want to give.

Can we guess where it is? A former Yugoslavian or Baltic state?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    I think you need to know what this country has to offer ?.
    what is it strong points?
    what kind of infrastructure it has , does it have tourist locations,
    is it cheap to holiday in this place,
    is it cheap to buy property.
    is there still lots of corruption,
    as if you say its about to join the EU, then it must be an EX block country.
    I would guess its eastern European. they have lots of corruption.
    but thats not always a bad thing !.
    trust me !
    it was much easier for my company in cyprus before it joined the EU.
    So... what does it have to offer ??
    once you know this, then market the strong points.
    Neil,

You lost me there!

Are you talking about a country, or about ates?

Unless you're an Al Capone descendant, how can you say that "A lots of corruption, it's not always a bad thing"?

Are you related to the Sopranos?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Even though the final decision to invest would very likely involve many high-level discussions, the *idea* of investing in Country X could well start on the site. Investors won't start talking, unless they know there is opportunity there.

The general info on the site could "drop hints" (Country X is looking to overhaul its infrastructure and is currently taking bids in many areas... Country X has developed a taste for Western fast food...) which would let potential investors know which areas are open for expansion, without making the site too dull for average-Joe visitors. Then they may click a link to a section about investment opportunities. Make it so info can be downloaded from that section (PDFs) so a company board member or executive-level manager who happens upon the site can print something out to take back to his/her company to show their colleagues.

As for the tourism, you could probably get some late-night TV spots with that budget, which would show a video clip of possible tourist spots in the Country (while the name of Country X into the viewers' brains in some non-annoying way). Viewers could then call a number...or visit the site for more info.

Rather than looking at keywords, the goal is to generate keywords. To make more people search and learn and go to this country, etc.
    Naw, naw! Not so fast! Keywords don't "generate" themselves. For the SEO part, build on old keywords, to spawn more keywords! BRAND the country as THE solution to (whatever the relevant "old-keyword" suggests).

Meaning: If the country has a beach people may want to visit, try to get a section of the Country X site to come up under "beaches," "beach vacations" and the like. (It's the "answer.") THEN concentrate on getting the people to remember Country X and its particular super-cool beach!
    Thriving city? That's a "shopping tourism" or "shopping vacation" destination.
    And of course, there's the plain old "overseas vacation" or "[general geographic area] tourism" angle.
    Barren desertified wasteland? Perfect for a "rugged" trip.

Once you bring 'em in, then "brand" the particular destination as THE place to take whatever kind of vacation fits the type of country it is.

Use non-SEO methods to "generate" more interest to your specific keywords as well. Advertise (branding banners, etc.) on sites that have traffic for the relevant, but more general, categories. Talk the travel-site owners/editors into writing articles about the place.

Basically, associate Country X with what people are *already* looking for, until they start looking for Country X directly. Be the answer to the people's question of where to go on vacation.

Same principle for anything you want to promote the country for. Basically it's all just branding, same principle as for products.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Neil,

You lost me there!

Are you talking about a country, or about ates?

Unless you're an Al Capone descendant, how can you say that "A lots of corruption, it's not always a bad thing"?

Are you related to the Sopranos?
    Sal, Trust me .
    it was no problem getting my cosmetics through customs before
    they joined the EU.
    i remember when i used to go to airport with 30 pounds,
    all in 5 pound notes.
    every office that needed to stamp my import papers,
    [all six of them] i gave them the papers and 5 pounds to each officer.
    HEY PRESTO !!! stamped.
    now that we have joined the EU. .... FORGET IT
    papers for this, papers for that, more red tape than you can imagine.
    i would much rather pay the 30 pounds..
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Leader : In a word, "Perfect". Thank you for your post, it is very helpful especially in opening our minds to market as 'the solution' to whatever people ALREADY want, rather than creating a want.

Corruption at the lower levels is a negative thing about all countries in this region, but through economic reforms and growth in the economy, the corruption seriously declines and is being fought.
    Any foreign investors or travellers would not deal on the lower levels and any 'corruption' that exists (as it does in every country) would not affect them.
    On the higher levels the country is quite stable and very investor-friendly and visitor-friendly.

As Paul Ward mentioned, countries are especially branded and known for certain things in particular, i.e. france and champagne, Russia and vodka, England and tea. What we need to create is one such conception/image about This country.

The country has beautiful landscapes, rich history, friendly people, delicious traditional food, lots of natural resources, ... there are many things that are very good about the country, but the task of developing an image for 1 major thing is at best, difficult.

Do we focus on history (i.e. use castles) as main promotion point? holiday destination/travel/landscape? the many churches and monasteries in the country? the lifestyle? the food? the drinks? the low cost of everything? the people? .... the most important thing is that image. It is what the country becomes 'known' for primarily.

Promoting the country as the solution for everything and promoting it for 'tourism and travel' and 'shopping' and 'winter alpine-skiing' etc is a great idea but also quite competitive.
    Then assuming promotion of this kind is successfull, this improves brand(country)-awareness and tourism but hasn't helped with building an 'image' of the country (as the 3 above mentioned countries) and hasn't helped with direct foreign investments or companies setting up their Easter european base in this country (yes, it is Eastern european-but the lifestyle within is very much Western-West European) - or do we promote online for 'investment opportunities' etc (a very, very competitive field - not just competing with other countries, but also with Companies who offer 'investment opportunities' etc).

The plan we are building is quite extensive and all your suggestions are and will be incorporated into it, so I am very grateful for the tips ideas and suggestions you're all giving us.

Some examples
    Take a look at these two to get some ideas.

www.belize.com

www.costarica.com

There are lots of others, but these might get you started.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread