Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lurk
    Chitika
    I have been seeing more and more hype about Chitika over the past month (especially when ProBlogger said he trippled his adsense income with it). I have yet to create an account but are others seeing the same results as ProBlogger?

Also, I noticed that its generally an ipod ad or something of that sort. How do they pay? Percentage of sale? PPC?

Thanks!
    Jason

I believe you earn per click, but I'm not sure. Anybody know if they've got a 468x60 size ad? The sizes I've seen don't seem very easy to squeeze into a normal design.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

lurk
    I just created an account with them and here are the sizes available:

468 x 60 Banner
    300 x 250 Medium Rectangle
    250 x 250 Square
    180 x 150 Small Rectangle
    160 x 600 Wide Skyscraper
    120 x 600 Skyscraper
    160 x 160 Small Square
    468 x 180 Blog Banner
    336 x 160 Rectangle

Looks like they do have some of the standard sizes.
    Jason

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I believe you earn per click, but I'm not sure. Anybody know if they've got a 468x60 size ad? The sizes I've seen don't seem very easy to squeeze into a normal design.

- Scott

We're both interested in Chitika, it seems. Something must be drastically, irredeemably wrong.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I just signed up myself after holding out a few weeks to think it over. Since my adsense mentor is doing triple his adsnse take in I caved and hoped on the Chitika Banana Boat.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Hmm been looking this one over but still not sure, adsense does well for me for now...NYfalcon does chitika work well on the martell style content sites?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Chitika pays per click. Sometimes more than Yahoo but always better than Goog. Seems like too little to pay for highly targeted clicks, as they show pictures of the product and a description then lead the customer right to the door of the OTHER site that makes the full pop on the sale. Saves the trouble of designing the layout, though.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Chitika pays per click. Sometimes more than Yahoo but always better than Goog.
    For me, most of the time, Google still pays better than Y! and Chitika. I must have some *****in' good Google keywords. :-)
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Justdoit

The few sites that I have seen the user replaced his adsense with chikita which I think is a huge mistake. I plan on leaving my adsense and adding chitkia as a second box.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Contextual Marketing Goddess
    There has been so much hype about Chitika since they launched their affiliate program that it is difficult to separate useful info from all the hype affiliates are using to get people to sign up

Quote Originally Posted by Jenstar
    There has been so much hype about Chitika since they launched their affiliate program that it is difficult to separate useful info from all the hype affiliates are using to get people to sign up
    I know. Every list I'm on has "strongly recommended" I join. It's the latest marketer's aff program and they are the biggest pushers around. LOL It's a good program I think ... when I get paid I'll really like it. :-)

I think it's usefulness is with specific products. If you want to feature a product but not hassle all the details, they do it but you get paid only per click and that's not at all close to what you'd get paid if you actually sold the product directly through a merchant aff link.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Jen
    I love your blog thanks for all the info. Must of listened to you on SEO rockstars 10 times

Rexanne
    I hold a lot of top 10 in tech keywords that have no affiliate programs that are clean so adding chitika is a no brainer for me.

ABW Ambassador
    That's exactly what's keeping me away, it is SO much like aggressively pushing people into joining MLM programs. I grew to dislike anything to do with MLM intensely after being hounded by a number of people to join up with their programs - and that was way before the net.

It makes me wonder if the people pushing it are actually making anything on it the way it's intended, by running it on sites, or if they're just looking to make money by creating a "downline" by recruiting others - just like in so much of MLM.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    That's exactly what's keeping me away, it is SO much like aggressively pushing people into joining MLM programs. I grew to dislike anything to do with MLM intensely after being hounded by a number of people to join up with their programs - and that was way before the net.

It makes me wonder if the people pushing it are actually making anything on it the way it's intended, by running it on sites, or if they're just looking to make money by creating a "downline" by recruiting others - just like in so much of MLM.
    MLM

I think it seems like an easy sell to publishers and that's why many of the "gurus with newsletters" are pushing it. They're looking to make a buck. If it works for our sites, great but I doubt that 99% of those pushing it now are trying to be 100% altruistic.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I never saw anyone really pushing it or got any emails about it. I must be out of the loop lol

I find myself clicking on them to get more information when I see it on a site. If I am checking them out I am sure others will.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I never saw anyone really pushing it or got any emails about it. I must be out of the loop lol

I find myself clicking on them to get more information when I see it on a site. If I am checking them out I am sure others will.
    That's the best gauge if something is working. If it looks good and offers the buyer a way to go, it's all good. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Well, I have used them for a while, and they work very well on product sites.

*** You should know I'm one of the ones with a review of them on my site with an affiliate link. ***

On my site, I review a few different programs and talk a bit about aff and contextual stuff. (I've been doing this since '98.) Chitika is the ONLY affiliate link on my site. Why? Because I like the product and I like the people. They make me money, and I feel good about partnering with them.

If you're a smart affiliate you know how to join without going through a referral link. Besides, being a commission only program, the "promoters" only make money (10%) if you make money.

I've never been a 2nd tier pimp, and doubt I'll do much more than I have done with this. I have talked with these guys myself extensively. They also responded to the first harsh review on my site by fixing every single thing I complained about. I feel comfortable recommending them, and don't mind doing it through a referral link.

If you're not cool with that, don't click my link. ;-)

I, personally, am more leery of the aff/ad sites that put aff links on every single thing they can, whether they review it, knock it, like it, or whatever. But that's me.

All that said, if you have a product site, you would serve yourself well to give this program a look. (through a referral link or not.)
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

multiple ads
    does anyone put more than one chitika ad on a page?

Quote Originally Posted by joaney
    does anyone put more than one chitika ad on a page?
    It would be easy enough to do. You could create a whole mini mall using Chitika ads but I think it would be more profitable to do that with CPA ads.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

they are ppc program

[SPAM Signature Removed]
    Last edited by MichaelColey; November 16th, 2005 at 10:58 AM. Reason: SPAM Signature Removed

ABW Ambassador
    I have one site where i test these things out and was just approved into Chitika. This morning i just read their blog from yesterday:

"To help filter out so-called “curiosity clicks” that typically do not lead to conversions on the merchants’ side, we updated the eMiniMalls units to drive qualified clicks. Hence, eMiniMalls users will notice a dip in the overall click through rate (and hence the overall revenue).

While we do strongly believe that in the long run everyone will benefit from our efforts to optimize this eMiniMalls (beta) service, we do recognize that in the short term this might lead to potential drops in revenue for some of our publishers. To best compensate for any potential revenue loss, we are issuing a network-wide 10% bonus through the end of November."

http://chitika.com/blog/?p=23

Trying to figure out how this is good for publishers. A dip in click thru rate and a dip in revenue doesn't sound like a good deal. Maybe those already using it can shed some light.

I was just trying one out and picked the keywords they suggested. So i put in cosmetics, fragrance, personal care, clicked Test and got: Apple iPod mini Pink Second Gen. Tried some more, everythings an Ipod.
    Last edited by Trust; November 17th, 2005 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I have one site where i test these things out and was just approved into Chitika. This morning i just read their blog from yesterday:

"To help filter out so-called “curiosity clicks” that typically do not lead to conversions on the merchants’ side, we updated the eMiniMalls units to drive qualified clicks. Hence, eMiniMalls users will notice a dip in the overall click through rate (and hence the overall revenue).

While we do strongly believe that in the long run everyone will benefit from our efforts to optimize this eMiniMalls (beta) service, we do recognize that in the short term this might lead to potential drops in revenue for some of our publishers. To best compensate for any potential revenue loss, we are issuing a network-wide 10% bonus through the end of November."

http://chitika.com/blog/?p=23

Trying to figure out how this is good for publishers. A dip in click thru rate and a dip in revenue doesn't sound like a good deal. Maybe those already using it can shed some light.

I was just trying one out and picked the keywords they suggested. So i put in cosmetics, fragrance, personal care, clicked Test and got: Apple iPod mini Pink Second Gen. Tried some more, everythings an Ipod.
    I use them for electronic products because getting an Amazon link to actually direct to the appropriate page is such a freaking hassle that I don't bother trying anymore. So, my Chitika ads are all to this type of product. I did change the Ipod keywords to get other electronic stuff and got just what I needed. Maybe they don't have the products you were looking for yet and maybe they are focusing on high end merchandise in the beginning ...

I think their deal with creating more targeted clicks is very good for merchants. Affs will benefit in the long run because merchants will do well with their campaign, with less click fraud or less non-converting costly clicks and (hopefully) pay more per click and stay with the program. I think, ultimately, what's good for the merchant is good for affiliates, too. I've noticed a very steep decline in Goog AdSense click prices over the past year which leads me to believe that merchants are not paying high click rates to Goog anymore, due to the fraud and lame clicks they've paid for without the results they want and/or expect. So seems like Chitika is considering the future of it's biz plan carefully. Sure, I don't want to make LESS money but if it means a better program and better revenue down the line, I'm all for it.

Wish they had a forum here ... would make more people stand up and take notice, plus the trust factor would soar which, as a new company, would only benefit them plus probably cut down on customer service inquiries. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Just not working for me for some reason. I try all types of keywords from their list of different categories and all I get is that pink Ipod.

It might be an issue with your javascript. I use them in a few places, feeding a blog entry title as the query and I get some laser-sharp targeting out of them. If the keywords aren't fed in right, it defaults to those iPod ads.
    Tim

FWIW, I don't use the rotating array thing, just a single topic since the places I use these are very focused. My code looks like this:

Code:
    ch_client = ...;
    ch_width = ...;
    ch_height = ...;
    ch_non_contextual = 1;
    ch_nosearch = 1;
    ch_sid = "AMD Athlon 64";
    ch_query = "AMD Athlon 64";
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast