Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Unhappy What would you do ???
    I was rather upset tonight when I received this email:
    Hi Rick,

If you send me any more mail from Christian this or Christian that or basically any mail at all I'm going to sue you in Washington, DC Federal Court for spamming me with mail I didn't ask for. REMOVE ME FROM ALL YOUR LISTS and F-CK OFF.

Thank you and may Jesus bless you as you've blessed me.

Pxxx Gxxxxx
    Washington, DC
    I blanked out the guy's name.

I do not know who this guy is and I do not do any email marketing or mass mailings. He also is not listed among the 40 or so people I have in my address book. I also run AdAware, Spybot and MS AnitSpyware on my computer on a regular basis so I don't think it could be the result of any program buried in my computer that is sending out junk. It is possible of course that somebody has cloned my email.

Usually spam tries to sell something, but it sounds like the junk this guy is getting is simply pushing religion rather than trying to make a sale. I am thinking about writing him back to assure him that I am not the one sending him this junk and asking him to forward to me the next one he gets so I can see what it is. I might also tell him to try reporting it to the FBI, which I would like to do myself if somebody is faking my email address to send spam.

What would you do in this case?
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

click delete and move on!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagles Mill
    I was rather upset tonight when I received this email:

I do not know who this guy is and I do not do any email marketing or mass mailings. He also is not listed among the 40 or so people I have in my address book. I also run AdAware, Spybot and MS AnitSpyware on my computer on a regular basis so I don't think it could be the result of any program buried in my computer that is sending out junk. It is possible of course that somebody has cloned my email.

I am thinking about writing him back to assure him that I am not the one sending him this junk and asking him to forward to me the next one he gets so I can see what it is. I might also tell him to try reporting it to the FBI, which I would like to do myself if somebody is faking my email address to send spam.

What would you do in this case?
    I get spammed by someone sending mail out as me all the time. Drives me crazy and I'm not infected, either. Makes me wonder how many other people are getting spammed by "me" and getting pissed off about it.

I would most likely reply and let him know it's not you sending the email. Don't know what else you could do unless you are able to see the headers and the ISP, then what? It IS horribly annoying, at best.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Unfortunately this kind of situation is part of the overhead of having a web site. If you do write back to the guy perhaps you could let him know how to use spamcop so he can see that your web site address was spoofed and not the originator of the emails he's been receiving.

Also, it might not hurt to let your site host know that someone may be about to file a bogus complaint about you spamming.

Good luck. Walked in those shoes. They pinch, don't they?

I've gotten similar emails, the kicker was that it was a rogue aff or board masking with my info, same maybe happening to you. I'd say delve deeper and learn who is doing this and take action, because on drip is not an ignore or delete, it's one of 100 who actually bothered to complain and with his tone it sounds extreme, protect your business and good will accordingly.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your responses. After reading them I decided to go ahead and write back to the guy. I told him you can report spam to SPAM@UCE.GOV and that SpamCop might be able to reveal where it is actually coming from. I assured him that I wasn't the one sending it and to please forward to me the next one he gets so I can try and find out where it is coming from. I also asked that if he figures out where it is really coming from to please let me know.

So... we'll see if he replies.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I get returned emails from my sites all the time, addressed to someone I don't know, from some made up email for my domain (like tom @ my aff site's domain name .com)(we have no one named tom hre). And I run virus scanners and everything like that. It is spammers that are blasting tons of spam and spoofing the emails as if they came from my domain. Consmer's do not understand this - I used to write them and explain, but it's really pointless cuz they often become argumentative cuz it sounds like you're lying. So just archive the email and move on.

ABW Ambassador
    Based on what you quoted, i would have just told him to **** off.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Donuts, et al, one thing I did that relieved a lot of the burden of bounced spoofed emails *and* spam mail sent to random addresses at my URLs was to ask my host to make my email addresses virtual. There are one or two email addresses at each URL for which the server will accept email. Everything else gets bounced. Cut waaaaaaaay down on spam.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Donuts, et al, one thing I did that relieved a lot of the burden of bounced spoofed emails *and* spam mail sent to random addresses at my URLs was to ask my host to make my email addresses virtual. There are one or two email addresses at each URL for which the server will accept email. Everything else gets bounced. Cut waaaaaaaay down on spam.
    I did this, too almost a year ago, when email viruses were starting to go crazier than normal. Cut down on 90% of the junk I was receiving but it all seems to be coming back now. I think the harvested" email addresses from our sites is the culprit. Creeps ... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I get stuff sent to me with the wrong email adress on it all the time maybe that's what happend?

Also, your ISP may have some sort of spam bug on it like mine (uglide) where you get all kinds of weird stuff.

You can get a free prog that deletes spam off the server called Quickhead-E at http://www.danere.com/ and don't even let that stuff into your pc (becareful or you can delete something that you want).

And finally what I'd do is: I wouldn't worry about it, if it's important you'll get more.

Love You,
    HumbleFish
    Last edited by HumbleFish; November 14th, 2005 at 11:37 AM. Reason: wording, spelling, add link

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread