Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How Many Active Sites Do You have?
    This question is just out of curosity. I have two affiliates sites and will be launching a non affiliate site in Jan 2006 (I hope). I have other ideas for sites, but really since I still work full time and have three teens and all that goes with that finding enough time each week for these three can be really hard. So how do you all juggle all this especially the ones that still work a job.
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

I think it's really broken down as follows ...

0.0% - 20% - 1 - 10 sites
    21% - 40% - 11 - 20 sites
    41% - 90% - 21 - 300 sites
    91% -100% - 300+ sites

10% +/-

Did that answer it or begin your real answer ...????
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Three sites? Add a zero and you'll be getting to how many I have (30+)!

especially the ones that still work a job
    Sorry to disappoint ya; none of that j*b stuff for me!

So how do you all juggle all this
    During the last year I automated a bunch of 'em so it only takes 5 minutes/week to import the data and update that batch. Now, I'm going around to each nonautomated site...and finding some that hadn't been touched in TWO years!

Now, that's way longer than even I would advocate ignoring sites for. So, you could say that in the massive juggling act, some balls got dropped. Google will probably think its spider is broken when it starts returning "recently updated" notations for those sites LOL! (Not all the nonautomated sites have been so neglected, but there are a few...)

I will say that a few hours of frustration and a PHP book were a very worthwhile investment. Any other site of mine that lends itself to automation will be switched over. This round of updating shall be the last time I do it manually, for all but my oldest sites. (My oldest sites are mostly single hand-written pages. Might as well keep them, for diversity's sake and the fact that my best spin is on those pages. Although I think the utter lack of updates had negated the uniqueness benefit in the SEs!)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Justwright, if you plan to increase the number of sites, automation is the key.

Haiko, quite surprised & impressed with those high numbers. 300+ is quite a number if its maintained by an individual instead of a company and if they are quality sites.

nishster, those are extrapolated member demographics ... and I'd say it's about on the mark. Most are DB sites obviously, but most aren't "thin".
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    <5

Same as Leader with "balls getting dropped".

I've got 4 or 5 that I concentrate on keeping "up-to-the-minute".

Another 4 or 5 that get updated fairly regularly.

About 90 more that get updated one at a time, two or three per week. At this rate, each of those only gets updated every 6 or 7 months. But that's the way the ball bounces; there are only so many 16-hour shifts in one day.

16-hour shifts
    *runs away screaming*

Not w*rking so much > updating!

Hey the checks are nice. And I hardly lift a finger between June and September while the kids are out of school. It all levels off in the end.

Yeah, but if you don't have enough time left to enjoy the money except for summer vacation, what good is it (figuring that "nice" checks will pay for more than food, shelter, and the associated bills)

I'll get it while I can, so I'll have it when I can't.

I can't say I enjoy putting in so many hours. When you've got kids it's not too hard to get extra motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I think it's really broken down as follows ...

Did that answer it or begin your real answer ...????
    Yes, that brought on more questions. The figures are very impressive.
    LeDonna

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Three sites? Add a zero and you'll be getting to how many I have (30+)!

Sorry to disappoint ya; none of that j*b stuff for me!
    I would love to quit, but I know what the futures hold as far as my partner. The good thing is I do work at home for my job.

During the last year I automated a bunch of 'em so it only takes 5 minutes/week to import the data and update that batch.
    Yes, that is a time saver. I'm still have much learning do to with php, but just with the little I've learned, I can see the time saver.

(Not all the nonautomated sites have been so neglected, but there are a few...)
    Then the questions becomes do the neglected ones bring in income?

I will say that a few hours of frustration and a PHP book were a very worthwhile investment.
    I'm a good friend with frustration when it comes to php, but I trying anyway.

Thanks for your insight.
    LeDonna

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    I've got 4 or 5 that I concentrate on keeping "up-to-the-minute". Another 4 or 5 that get updated fairly regularly.
    Do you use some kind of criteria for which gets worked on first and so on?
    LeDonna

Based on Haiko figures a good majority have over 10 sites. And just guessing based on past reads at least 60% are full timers. So what percentage of your sites are content versus strictly affiliate based? My two sites are strictly affiliate based but I do have a newsletter which I would say generates 60% of the income from both sites.
    LeDonna

The Thin White Duke PreacherMan's Avatar
    I have just one but it is a community with an affiliate store added on. I devote 90% of my effort into this one site so that it is quality and will stay afloat in the search engines and the like.

It is eggs in one basket I know but I don't have the patience to create a multitude of sites that for all I know could be wiped out by the search engines in one foul swoop (i.e. algo update). Then again my one site could just as easily be wiped out as well.
    Keep on learning, keep on earning. :fan:

Do you use some kind of criteria for which gets worked on first and so on
    Those are the few cases where two planets line up into tandem orbit with each other:

Planet 1: All of the top 3 search engines treat the sites favorably: steady traffic.

Planet 2: Good conversion rate for the merchant whose products are featured on those sites.

The rest of the sites just get picked up one at a time, usually at random, but sometimes they get knocked closer to the top of the pile if there is a new merchant that looks attractive for use on a particular site.

It's not unusual for one search engine to like a site while the other two turn their noses up at it.

I have 4 sites.

Each has about 500 unique content pages with at last 800 words per page.

Then I tack on and blend in the affiliate pages, links, adsense, and now Chitika.

I have a biz plan, that contains a schedule, so that each site is updated with content and the affiliate links refreshed as product cycles demands.

I too work a full-time job. That's why I try to stay focused and organized. I would like to be able to cut my hours down to 20 this year. (More time to sell more of Leader's bulbs, then).

Jazz Times

ABW Ambassador
    The Gaming & Adult companies have 50,000 to 100,000+ sites with a STAFF to run them.

I wish I had a STAFF!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I have under 10 but lots of ideas for new sites.

I'm just starting to automate some of them (at least trying to) to free up time for other things, like starting my own merchant program. As for juggling stuff.....kids are grown and gone and all that's left is hubby and I (and a huge dog).

I wish I had staff too!
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    "...some balls got dropped."
    Stop that!

ABW Ambassador
    I have lost count, and lost some of the sites (totally forgotten about them). But i just keep building, going back for some, forgetting others.

Got a check from tiger direct for $130 this month. I thought I had yanked all their links. Guess not... I don't even remember what network they are under. Gonna go look tonight so I can find out what site did that.

I think you find the people who have a variety of sites, and fairly large numbers ***** about google much less than those with a few. There are sites i made years ago, never updated and still make low 3 figures every month and low 4 figures around this time of the year. Who knows what works, or what works one month won't work the next, so I just keep going and guessing.

And this doesn't even count the bulk of my money, sites i partnered up with friends/family. Those still do best, and I do check on them from time to time to make sure they are still working on them. Spreading the wealth will bring back much, much more to you in the long run.

Chet

So what percentage of your sites are content versus strictly affiliate based?
    The huge majority of mine are strictly affiliate based.

And this doesn't even count the bulk of my money, sites i partnered up with friends/family. Those still do best, and I do check on them from time to time to make sure they are still working on them. Spreading the wealth will bring back much, much more to you in the long run.
    IF the aggravation doesn't kill you first!

I wish I had a STAFF!
    I just hired my first employee yesterday. He is the head of my Marketing Division.(has a nice ring to it huh! ) He is also my husband...

I offered him 50% of what he can bring in above my regular earnings.

Right now I have 4 sites.

One is my main bread and butter site, one is a datafeed site that brings in a couple hundred a month but I haven't touched it in over a year. I really don't want to either - the thought of going back and working on it is so unappealing....

Another is a content site that is a dud as far as earnings but brings in traffic to my main site

and yet another is a datafeed site that I just built. We shall see how that goes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast