Red face length of affiliate program cookies
    Hi,

We have set our cookie for 5 years. Do those of you participating in afiliate programs prefer a long term cookie? We'd think so. If we have assumed incorrectly please let us know!

Ron Askotzky
    wow-imports

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    A PC only holds the last 300 cookies max, assuming no cookie deletion happens ever. People who shop online regularly (o even only occasionally) will surely exceed 300 LONG before your period expires. So you might as well advertise a 100 year cookie.

Maybe I will, LOL!! Yes, my webmaster told me that basically I was offering a lifetime cookie- meaning the life time it can remain on the computer or until one upgrades.

Ron
    Wow-imports

life time of cookie
    My question basically was whether those running affiliates programs want to get the most of it the program or do they just want to run it for 30/60/90 days. My thought was the more income they can potentially generate the better.

Ron Askotzky
    Wow-imports

ABW Ambassador
    Of course as affiliates, we'll take the longest cookie you want to offer up. Just nowadays they never usually have the advertised life expectancy. Lots of cookie eaters out there. But we'll still take the long cookie.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Trust said.

But, cookies are only part of the equation. Don't forget the importance of high commissions, either!

Ron, welcome on board!

Good question. See the affiliate answer(s) here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=63621

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    A PC only holds the last 300 cookies max, assuming no cookie deletion happens ever. People who shop online regularly (o even only occasionally) will surely exceed 300 LONG before your period expires. So you might as well advertise a 100 year cookie.
    300 is the minimum that RFC 2109 recommends but I'm pretty sure most modern browsers support considerably more than that. I use IE6, and I know I have considerably more than 300 cookies.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Lightbulb cookies?
    BDS sets an example with "lifetime accounts"

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread