Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Near Zero CJ Sales?
    True, I have the links in just select spots on certain sites, but still something doesn't seem logical. All of a sudden this month...

15K impressions
    652 clickthroughs
    1 sale = commission $3.42

It's getting very tempting to just turn them into straight content sites, and pull all affiliate links except for what's pulling sales through some LinkShare merchants.

with those stats.....they should have been turned into Adsense sites a long time ago. Or you need to modify the sites to presell better.....if virtually no one of 652 people bought what you were selling you need to definitely do something different.

It seems to be getting worse. I wonder what Christmas is going to be like? I just received an email from one of CJ's merchants who is going over to affiliate traction.Anyone hear of them?

Sounds like just another CJ day......

Webworker -- that was your 666 post how appropriate!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Keep your merchant links and perhaps decrease their presence but adsense-u-lize your pages. Use ads with backgrounds that match your background. Create channels to keep track.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    with those stats.....they should have been turned into Adsense sites a long time ago. Or you need to modify the sites to presell better.....if virtually no one of 652 people bought what you were selling you need to definitely do something different.
    Those aren't the issues at all (and I wouldn't run pages without Adsense unless it's a well proven merchant). None of the CJ clicks sold - that's the issue.

The issue isn't in the pre-sell - the sales are coming in left and right for Linkshare merchants (particularly one) for the pages pulling traffic. It's ONLY CJ that's the problem and I think I've found a big cause of it.

On pages doing a LOT for the holidays now, the LS links are converting beyond expectation - BUT when I checked the links to CJ merchant on the very_same_pages, the products were no longer there - holiday products, mind you, with links put up not long ago. So even though clicks were recorded, obviously a page with "product not available" will kill it for anything further - or simply isn't getting credit for sales if visitors do buy.

Not a clue, and it's a pain to have to constantly check each page mid-season for current seasonal merchandise. I don't need the headache and the waste of my traffic, I simply pulled the CJ merchant links off and replaced with more products/links for the one at LS doing well for me.

Added:

If, as per this post, it's product specific, then for products pulled by the merchant there can be a problem

http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=24

ABW Ambassador
    Or you need to modify the sites to presell better.....
    OK, tell me if modifying to presell is what's needed. Just a small sampling of a few:

22 clicks/1 sale
    8 clicks/1 sale
    42/1
    369/12
    2/1
    21/1
    (and those are the ones known to have parasites)

115 clicks/2 sales
    40/1
    71/3
    30/4
    27/1
    39/2
    (those might have cooties, but I'm not worried.)

These do worry me, though:

166 clicks/0 sales (same stuff sold at other merchants)
    104/0 (ebates & upromise that I know of - same stuff sold by other merchants)
    141/0 - 14% CTR (same stuff sold by other merchants)
    101/0 - 14% CTR - the chat window monster

if virtually no one of 652 people bought what you were selling you need to definitely do something different.
    We don't know for sure if anyone out of those 652 bought something from those CJ merchants, though some have been coming in for other stuff since little by little. But imho that's a red flag alert - especially compared to merchant performance at LS and LS's reporting. And that's mostly stuff that's selling like hotcakes from other merchants from the same pages - 'tis the season.

If those click-to-sales figures I posted above are really bad (that's with 10-15% CTR) then I really do need to take a hard look at what I'm doing or maybe go flip burgers. Just how bad are they for a clickthrough to sales ratio? I thought those merchants were fine to promote with those sales conversion figures. Am I missing something someplace?
    Last edited by webworker; November 28th, 2005 at 02:36 AM.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    True, I have the links in just select spots on certain sites, but still something doesn't seem logical. All of a sudden this month...

15K impressions
    652 clickthroughs
    1 sale = commission $3.42

It's getting very tempting to just turn them into straight content sites, and pull all affiliate links except for what's pulling sales through some LinkShare merchants.
    If it'll make you feel any better, these are my CJ stats for November:

Sales 36
    Leads 24
    Clicks 8,964
    Impressions 190,355

Compared to the clicks, sales are dismal. I've gotten used to it ... :-(
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    It is ONLY for CJ merchants, Rexanne - and now according to this thread that's running it looks like it isn't exactly an individual problem

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...7&page=1&pp=25

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    It is ONLY for CJ merchants, Rexanne - and now according to this thread that's running it looks like it isn't exactly an individual problem

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...7&page=1&pp=25
    Arghhh . frustrating, annoying and all around maddening.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I checked the figures this afternoon.

CJ
    2555 impressions
    159 clicks
    1 sale

BUT - that one sale is for a Mom 'n Pop merchant who's a pretty steady performer for a specifically searched_for product, and isn't sophisticated enough to be involved with parasites, she doesn't even know enough to do product links. I just swipe her images for where I promote her products.

So my good merchant - 98 impressions, 14 clicks = 1 sale

That leaves me with, for CJ
    2,457 impressions
    145 clicks
    0 sales

Compare with figures I pulled up at LS this afternoon:

2,368 impressions
    152 clicks
    10 sales / $749.58

#1 - 65 impressions/5 clicks/1 sale
    #2 - 95 impressions/14 clicks/1 sale
    #3 - 895 impressions/56 clicks/8 sales/60 items sold/

Sales for merchant #3 - $655.10

That's more like it - and if those clickthroughs and conversions are "bad" and it's nothing to do with merchants or network, maybe I need to change how I do things, but I'm afraid I'd need some figures to convince me.

It isn't just aggravating and/or frustrating, it's enlightening. Maybe it's time to pull out the merchant roto-rooter and clean out the sludge from pages. Actually, I'm starting more and more to believe Webmasters Mike & Charlie, and starting to seriously wonder if it's maybe the "Attack of the Adwhores."

It is ONLY for CJ merchants
    I have the reverse problem (well HAD until I removed the links) CJ has always been good for me, but I've always had problems with LS, clicks and no sales.

I think it's down to the merchant and how they integrate with your site when the visitor leaves, not the products you promote. There are too many variables to blame one cause. My rule of thumb is 500 clicks for a merchant and no or dismal sales and it's time to scrap them or drastically change how they are presented. Dump 'em and move on.

These numbers would of had me out of the whole category a long time ago. I am also seeing a lot of wasted impressions that could of gone to adsense but that is just me.

Are you running encripted links at cj. I was and I have been changing them out and I am having a great month with my parasite free merchants there.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

CJ and Linkshare
    I am new to this board and need advice on my websites, which I understand, I cannot list, so am not sure how I can get specific advise. I am a member of linkshare and cj.com and others and have some common problems I see posted from other members such as dwindling sales.
    One specific question I have is about cookies. Linkshare posted a short
    statement about setting your computer to allow cookies and I noticed that since all the pop up blockers and virus scan blockers are common to most computers, that's about when sales dwindled - spring of 2004 or 2003.
    I retired several years ago and made enough money but now my income is scary and in the danger zone.

I originally specialized in selling angels, then went onto swimwear with a different website, went on to include ethnic and themed gifts on the angel website and on the swimwear site, went onto to mens and kids and clothing and now I think I just have too much.
    It is easy to include everything from linkshare and cj (everything that is relevent to your own website), but I lost focus.

How can I get some members of this forum to give me specific advice.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmartin
    How can I get some members of this forum to give me specific advice.
    Ask specific questions.

Regarding your site, use the site review forum.

Welcome to ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Are you running encripted links at cj
    Yes, all encrypted and I'll swap those out when I go through while weeding out merchants. But even some steady performers have altogether stopped, with the sales going to LS merchants instead - which is what seems so wierd, because CJ has been fine for certain merchants up until recently.

Yep, all links open in new windows and Adsense is on all pages so that gets impressions and more than enough clicks to compensate. But the weeding is going on, I just dumped a bunch at LS with little/no return days or non-performers and more to go if I don't hear back from the AMs. Then a major CJ purge is next. It's definitely time to streamline.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All the pertinent posts in this thread point out the need for learning which merchnats convert. Do not expect fellow affiliates to clue you into this all important piece of information. Those merchants who honestly publish their sites average conversion ratio, and take the heat to prove it, will garner in a lot more quality affiliate referral traffic.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I think this is going to be a very lean Christmas for a lot of us. I'm getting sales throughout all networks but the products that visitors are buying are real cheapies, which makes for chump change when it comes to commissions! I see this trend even with my best converting merchants. Unless this is just the lull before the storm, I have a feeling that a lot of people are reluctant to spend big money on gifts this holiday season.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon

These numbers would of had me out of the whole category a long time ago. I am also seeing a lot of wasted impressions that could of gone to adsense but that is just me.

Are you running encripted links at cj. I was and I have been changing them out and I am having a great month with my parasite free merchants there.
    I thought all CJ links were encrypted?

No jack you have to check that little box when doing links to encrypt them. I stopped doing that as well as open in a new window. I dont want the visitor to have my site open at all.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Anyone know ho this applies to datafeed links?

Links in datafeeds are not encrypted.

Links have to be encrypted one-by-one, by manual selection, while logged in to the CJ interface.

OMG, who's gonna go through that hassle ROFL

People who build individual pages optimized for specific products for pinpoint SE rankings and maximum concentration of sales conversions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast