What's In a Name?
    As kind of a companion thread to "How many active sites do you have?" I would like to know how much thought goes into domain name selection for all those sites?

Is a name unrelated to the site like yahoo.com better at times than one like GreatClocks.com? There is a lot on info on name selection, but I would like to see how the process goes for those with lots of sites.

Also how about tacking a niche to an obviously unrelated domain? Has anyone had success with something like promoting computers at FishBait.net?

For my few sites I hope to get type-ins I'm careful to use only .com with a name that makes sense. I think of a few possibles, then sleep on it.

For traffic from links and search engines I try to use domains that seem to have something to do with the product. I may spend as much as 5 minutes selecting the name.

I haven't had much luck with products that don't match the domain, but I haven't tried very hard with them. Domains are cheap.

But what do I know?
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Well so far with my two sites I use the same first two words and the third word identifies what the site is about. I will probably continue this trend as a way of branding. I also stick with the .com and I do think the name should be related to the content or products.
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

ABW Ambassador
    IMHO, there are several kinds of web sites that affiliates create.

One kind wants to make an impression on the end user so they come back again and again to shop (like a coupon site or shopping engine). For this you need a memorable, easy to type, and EASY TO SPELL name with not more thant two words and no hyphens (imho). Think brandable tshirts, bumber stickers, etc.

Another other kind of site wants people to end up at a merchants site as quickly as possible (like a datafeed shopping site). This could be a keyword domain (JohnsWidgets.com, NYCWidgets.com). Mostly you want something that looks OK in SERPS and does not look spammy so searchers dont get turned off. Stay away from 'Num1Widgets.com, AAAAAWidgets.com, discountdiscountwidgets.com)

I find mini Sites that do a hard sell and are about a single product do well with calls to action. 'learnaboutwidgets.com' 'learntosellwidgets.com' 'protectyourwidgets.com'

Lastly, when thinking of a long name, keep in mind the maximum number of characters you can have as the domain name in an adwords ad in case you want to try some advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by missdonna
    I may spend as much as 5 minutes selecting the name.
    I am just the opposite and tend to think everything to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisk
    IMHO, there are several kinds of web sites that affiliates create.
    I see the wisdom in a flexible approach. My problem is the bright ideas I get seem to be taken by speculators.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread