ABW Ambassador
    Wintertime fitness?
    Between now and New Year's is the worst possible time in terms of fat buildup and I want to avoid it.

I dusted off a book I bought in high school about training for bicycle racing. I think it's out of print, I could be wrong.

The book is about 15 years old: they mention East German and Soviet training methods without the word "Former".

The book prescribes a six-hour week for maintaining fitness during the off-season: four one-hour sessions and one two-hour session with a pair of off-days. Very little of it is cycling (unless the weather cooperates), mostly cross-training to keep you from getting bored on an indoor trainer.

I started yesterday, but I'm going to ease into it. Two hours after a week of couch potato activity would be painful.

I stretched before and afterwards for a total of 20 minutes, stretching is considered part of the time in the workout.

I hopped on my wife's treadmill for 30 minutes for one of the interval workouts. 6mph at 6% grade is painful when your activity of choice uses different muscles.

Using 20lb dumbells, I did some bicep curls, tricep extensions, inverse rows, military press and a makeshift bench press on the floor. I need more weight and a bench: 28 benches before boredom. Nowhere near muscule failure.

Then pushups. Same workout as the bench press but at different angles.

I need a pull-up bar, if they still make them. This benefits your ability to yank on the handlebars during sprints or out-of-saddle climbing.

Then I used this ab roller thing my wife picked up a few years ago. Just a pair of spring loaded wheels and handles. Laugh all you want, it's possibly the best piece of workout equipment invented: every muscule from your knees to your shoulders gets a workout. Sneezing is painful.

The adrenaline rush after the shower made it all worth it. I couldn't sit still.

Affiliate Manager
    That sounds like a great workout...I just joined an indoor lacrosse league. Competitive sports work best for me as I find weight training to be a little boring and monotonous.
    Last edited by AdamGEC; November 14th, 2005 at 12:02 PM.

Nice workout indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by weisinator
    The book is about 15 years old: they mention East German and Soviet training methods without the word "Former".
    Frankly, I don't think that even now (15 years later) you'd use the adjective "Former" for "Soviet training methods". If they were invented and perfected in the Soviet Union, they still remain the Soviet training methods.

Geno

I like the light aerobic excersize I get in Karate class. We do the warm up excersizes before stretching. This time of year the best way to get in shape for skiing is to run down a forested hillside at top speed without running into the trees.
    ~Ernie

ABW Ambassador
    Today is an off day. I need it.

Tues: stretch and lift with no run, add second set of reps
    Wed: stretch and 45 minute run
    Thurs: stretch and lift with no run, may add third set
    Friday: off
    Sat: stretch and 45 minute run
    Sun: stretch and hour run with 3 sets of weights. Should give me my two hours of activity as prescribed.

I'll pay more attention to my diet next week. I know I'm not getting enough protien for growth right now.

ABW Ambassador
    "I know I'm not getting enough protien for growth right now."

Reminds me of the days loading up on Swanson canned chicken, was trying for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, back in the days when i was into working out. Couldn't stomach the protein shakes.

ABW Ambassador
    I can handle canned tuna with a bit of mustard, but not the chicken. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGEC
    That sounds like a great workout...I just joined an indoor lacrosse league. Competitive sports work best for me as I find weight training to be a little boring and monotonous.
    Same for me. I play in a couple indoor soccer and basketball leagues during the year to keep active. I do off-season weight lifting and running, but always a lot easier to get myself motivated to do something competitive.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I'm in a couple soccer leagues, and just started getting into adventure races. If you like the outdoors, you should definitely check adventuring racing out. Here's a popular one, www.muddybuddy.com.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyClickTravel
    I'm in a couple soccer leagues, and just started getting into adventure races. If you like the outdoors, you should definitely check adventuring racing out. Here's a popular one, www.muddybuddy.com.

That looks like a lot of fun. Especially the attempts to manuever through the mud. For sure, it would be one hell of a workout!!

It is a killer workout.

Most areas have Adventure Racing (AR) clubs that meet once or twice a week to "practice". Usually this includes about an hour of running and navigation and about an hour of bike riding. You hit pretty much every muscle group.

The race I did in October had biking, running, hiking, canoeing, and climbing. There is a real "community" of AR's, so you are more likely to stick with it for the social aspect. Give it a shot!

Tues: stretch and lift with no run, add second set of reps
    Wed: stretch and 45 minute run
    Thurs: stretch and lift with no run, may add third set
    Friday: off
    Sat: stretch and 45 minute run
    Sun: stretch and hour run with 3 sets of weights. Should give me my two hours of activity as prescribed.
    Just curious about a few things, 1) Lift some days, and cardio others? Why not lift then cardio on the same days?

2) When you lift, how many muscle groups are you doing per day? How much rest are you including before hitting up the same muscle.

Keep us posted on the progress, because sometimes my workout routine seems to stagnate, and a fresh idea can help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Long
    ...Why not lift then cardio on the same days?
    "Lift then cardio"? Wrong sequence. Gotta do: cardio, then lift. Cardio is your warm-up, remember?

Geno

No, no, no, you guys should be doing boxing and kickboxing like me!!! It rocks!!!! The good thing is my guy comes with me so i get to beat the crap out of him and get away with it!!!

I did kickboxing for over 3 years. Started with Karate (shotokan), ended up in kickboxing... That was certainly fun. Comes useful at times.

When I went to a personal trainer (really good one, owned his own gym, was a professional body builder) he recommended the following for weight loss:

5 minute cardio warm up

30 minutes of continuous lifting (e.g. Do a set of curls then a set of leg press with 30 seconds between sets)

20 minutes of cardio, find your optimal heart rate for weight loss (mine was 160) and do whatever it takes to keep your heart rate there for 15 of the 20 minutes (I had to do a 15% incline at 4.5 miles per hour for this). This supposedly would keep your body in the "fat burning mode" for several hours after the workout.

Remember, just as important as the workout (or more) is what you eat.

ABW Ambassador
    I stretched, did a 5 minutes at 4mph on the treadmill, lifted and then finished out with 20 minutes of walking at 4.5mph with different inclines on the 'mill last night.

I do cardio on non-lifting days because I don't want to spend the whole evening working out. I like spending time with my family. I'm going to push it to an hour before the winter is over.

I mostly do my chest, arms and abs when I lift. I'm currently built like a chubby t-rex.

I'm going to set up my indoor trainer next weekend so I can do some sprinting workouts for leg strength and speed.

Pic of indoor trainer:

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I jog every other day provided the temp is above -5deg F.

Also, a snow shovel provides a good workout on the "off" days.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Then I used this ab roller thing my wife picked up a few years ago. Just a pair of spring loaded wheels and handles. Laugh all you want, it's possibly the best piece of workout equipment invented: every muscule from your knees to your shoulders gets a workout. Sneezing is painful.
    They make those without springs too. I had to stop using it at the end of my routine -- I would roll out and get stuck, because my muscles were too tired to roll me back up. Now I do it in the middle and get far fewer laughs from my workout buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyClickTravel
    5 minute cardio warm up

30 minutes of continuous lifting (e.g. Do a set of curls then a set of leg press with 30 seconds between sets)

20 minutes of cardio, find your optimal heart rate for weight loss (mine was 160) and do whatever it takes to keep your heart rate there for 15 of the 20 minutes (I had to do a 15% incline at 4.5 miles per hour for this). This supposedly would keep your body in the "fat burning mode" for several hours after the workout.
    Yahtzee!! I do about 10 w/u, 60 lift, 30 cardio, but with a very conscious diet, and lots of water, the results are awesome!

Affiliate Manager
    I joined an indoor soccer league this year. It's the first time I played in over 8 years.

Only problem, like everything is trying to stay committed to it. Heck of a lot of fun though.

A lot of Soccer Playin' AM's around here. We should get a game going at one of the conventions .

Affiliate Manager
    I'm in....

Soccer match sounds like a good time. I'm down as well.
    [FONT=Georgia]Adam Cieloha
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]vTarget Affiliate Network[/COLOR]
    Earn Great Commissions - [URL=http://www.vtarget.com]Join Today![/URL]
    913-660-1311[/FONT][/SIZE]

Hmmm, 3 players is not enough. Maybe we can recruit from this thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ghlight=soccer

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread