Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Low read rate on emails to affiliates. Hot to reach affiliates?
    Hi,
    I have heard and read many times that the most important thing in affiliate programs is relationship. The realitonship between the affiliates and the company/aff manager.

I have been trying to better this relationship, listen to affiliates and respond to their needs. But the affiliate participation has been minimum.
    When I send emails talking about the new promotions, new banners, etc. The read rate is only 16%. So I wonder how many actually take action and update their links.

In every email I also ask affiliates for feedback, on how we can improve the program, etc... This last time I got only 1 feedback email.

I was wondering, should I send the email blast again to those who didn't open the first time around?

What else can I do?

We have a pretty good program with 3 month EPC of $10 and 7 day EPC of $11.

Thanks a lot

How did you conclude that your read rate is only 16%?
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

16% sounds sky-high to me.

I doubt that I read 16% of the promo emails I receive. That would probably suck up two hours of my day.

Keep in mind that affiliates get carpet-bombed with this stuff.

Affiliate Manager
    How did you conclude that your read rate is only 16%?
    I took the number of emails read and divided by the number of emails sent. Simple math.

Try "branding" your emails..one for affiliate updates..sent once a month.."Name -newsletter and promotion update" or something to that effect. This will help active affiliates to tell the difference at a glance from "join our program" type emails.

If your emails provide help...you'll have interested affiliates looking forward to them in a short time ;-)

I would focus on building personal relationships with your top 100 affiliates. They probably give you about 90% of your sales anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    CJ commission INCREASE
    That was the title I used in a mailing sent 11/11
    20% read rate so far.
    It will go higher as time goes by.

Mike Mackin
    affmgr@autom.net

I too am constantly asking the affiliates in my program for feedback via my newsletter (as well as one on one), but I feel like my requests fall on deaf ears. I just want to strengthen my current relationships and also remove any gates that a good affiliate might see to joining my program. I don't agree that only working with the top 100 affilaites is the right thing to do. Although they are bringing in most of my revenue, what if they close up shop and no longer send me traffic? And doesn't it make sense to help all affiliates (who want help) to improve their performance, doesn't everyone win when that happens?
    I have been accused in the past of being one of those lefty tree huggers, but part of why I am in this business is because when affiliate marketing is workign the way it's supposed to work, everybody wins.

Affiliate Manager
    My title was "Free Shipping + Holiday Promotions"

It's hard to understand why affiliates wouldn't even take a peek of the email. We were announcing a Free Shipping offer and Holidayzed Banner and text links. What better than that for Holiday season?

Do you guys think I could wait a couple of weeks and send it again with a different subject. Like a friendly reminder?

"This is a friendly reminder....If you didn't check our Free Shipping offer and new banners......be sure to check it out and update your links....etc...etc..
    "

???

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey Skuba,

Try personalizing the subject lines a little bit. I am not familiar with CJ's merchant interface, so I don't know how you would do this.

For example:

For your top 100 affiliates

Subject Line: 5 new ways to grow your sales

For your Inactives:

Subject Line: $20 bonus for your next sale!

For your newbies:

Subject Line: $5 first sale bonus!

You may not be able to offer bonuses, but offer something of value to those segments of your affiliates.

I actually got and read the email myself, thought it was quite good and the creatives worked also. Thing is that with your program I see the need for other types of creatives also, but that's me.

ABW's open rate has averaged a solid 23% over the past two years so 16% ain't that bad. I also concur with Mike's suggestion of "better" targeting the affs with diff emails.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Skuba,

Good lines, but they could sound like an advertiser looking to recruit too.

Try "NAME -Nov. News, Free shipping & seaonal links"
    or "NAME -Nov. Updates, Free shipping Promo"

Your trying to get your affiliates to look forward to these emails.. as Haiko's sig says...consistency of purpose

Affiliate Manager
    thanks for all feedback.

Interesting idea to keep consistency on the email subject "company - Nov: Free Shipping + Promo" etc...

I could try it. Usually I try to stay away from that because takes prime space of the subject line and, at leat for me, it sounds like it's the same thing over and over... Oh, just another newsletter...

An older manager used to make full blown newsletters in HTML with images. I wonder how affiliates see that. If they like it or not. ???

Also, what do you guys think of a friendly reminder in a couple of weeks?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skuba

It's hard to understand why affiliates wouldn't even take a peek of the email. We were announcing a Free Shipping offer and Holidayzed Banner and text links. What better than that for Holiday season?

Do you guys think I could wait a couple of weeks and send it again with a different subject. Like a friendly reminder?

"This is a friendly reminder....If you didn't check our Free Shipping offer and new banners......be sure to check it out and update your links....etc...etc..
    "

???
    also realize that many affiliates are joined to hundreds of programs to check out code, perhaps test a bit, and then lose interest due to focus / better returns elsewhere.

For instance for me I wouldn't even open an email like that, I just dont' care. Now you send one that says "we have ______ <--- some REAL hot item, not a hot item in some small industry) at ______ price- lowest on the net!" ie "Nike Air Jordans XXIIIXIV for 20% less than retails stores!" or make a claim like that, now you get my attention, as I might decide to throw up a site and gear SEO efforts towards that product only.

I understand the challenge on your end, but many bigger affiliates will maximise their own ROI on time/effort, and when you're getting 10 emails to the blackberry a day only to see "free shipping on orders over $150" when this means absolutely nothing to you or your bottom line, you start to ignore them, OR turn your mail preferences off again (as many were opted out anyway).

Affiliate Manager
    The thing is that the company can't offer anything better than free shipping.

If Affiliates don't read the emails and don't update their links, I wonder if it's worth spending the time it takes to create more than 25 new banners every 6 weeks.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey Skuba,

I don't know what program you run, but I think it's AllPosters based on your other posts.

What Aviators is saying is that more important then another "Free Shipping" promotion, differentiate your email from the others. Let's use the AllPosters as an example.

I think that "Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" is going to be a big hit. So if you are going to have those posters, send out a promotion like:

"HOT: Narnia Posters, Best Quality on the web"

That way they can prepare and be ready.

Constant new banners aren't bad. I don't know about your program, but our text links convert way better. Especially the datafeed. I'd push for resources on those tools. Maybe try to get on GoldenCan (if you're not already) and tout that.

Maybe instead of making 25 generic banners, contact your 25 top affiliates and offer custom banners. Then next time, your next 25 affiliates and so on.

There must be something about "free shipping" in an email because I have an inbox full of them unread.

Mike is on to something with the text links. I havent added a banner to my sites in months. I always open the emails that have "We want to help you make more money" in the subject line. In these emails is ually a hot tip on getting traffic or maybe some keywords etc.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    This is soooo true!!!
    I would like to keep up on this stuff but I would need a full time Staff.
    winning is a habit unfortunately so is losing

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I have heard and read many times that the most important thing in affiliate programs is relationship. The realitonship between the affiliates and the company/aff manager.
    In my case, it's ALL about the relationship

I immediately delete all the "join our wonderful program" emails - if I wanted to promote a merchant, I would already know about them

Then I delete the non-converters. There are merchants who, for whatever reason, don't convert well. When you do the math, it ain't worth your time to even read the email

Then I delete the "way-too-frequent-updaters" who have coupons that expire at the end of the day for example

Then I delete the corporate spinners - haven't said anything new in a year - but I figure their boss mandates they send an email to affiliates to justify their job title

Then I delete the merchant threats emails - the merchants who don't have anything to offer other then telling us what should be in our meta tags, what words we can't say, , all the legal options at their disposal, etc

Which usually leaves me with 1 merchant email to read

Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    We can make a choice. Read merchant e-mails or build pages. Let's see. Which shall it be?

Originally Posted by skuba
    So? Every merchant under the sun has "Free Shipping + Holiday Promotions".

If I put the Holiday promotions on the page, the pages will be out of date in two months.

You think I intend to re-do the pages for 300 merchants two months from now? I don't think so!

If I make pages for your products, I have put my time into your program. I have no intention of re-doing those pages two months from now. I will be working on another merchant, then.

You think I should waste hours and hours reading merchant e-mails because.........???
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You think I should waste hours and hours reading merchant e-mails because.........???
    Mainly to eliminate the huge cloud of "WTFs" surrounding the head of any merchant who keeps hearing people go on and on about "communication" and "the relationship" only to send out a newsletter and get a 5% open rate and about 10% of the newletters bounced back instantly.

Not that I myself do anything to diminish said cloud when I'm on the receiving end of the emails...
    *deletes latest pile of emails*
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager Rob@GoFreelance's Avatar
    Putting the word 'FREE' in the subject line may not have helped. Some ISPs may have flagged the message as spam and trashed it before it even reached the affiliates.
    Rob Palmer
    GoFreelance

Now going crazy on Clickbank...top affiliate makes over $3000.00 per day. Taking the CB Marketplace by storm. <a href="http://www.gofreelance.com/cbaffiliates.html" target="_blank" title="Going Crazy on Clickbank">Click here to get your share of the huge profits...</a>

ABW Ambassador
    Billy Kay said it all
    Have a good DEAL and they will find the merchant and run with them.

No need to do anything else but solve problem, if any.

It's all about making DEALS.

email sent.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Free shipping is not the same for a customer than for an affiliate.

Now if you say: double your conversion rate with free shipping offer, it's another point of view.

Now, I don't move a finger for temporal offers, I work for continue and long term results.
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast