Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Help!
    This is probably the wrong place to post but I'm pulling my hair out. My son (who is 10) somehow managed to download somethings that my removal software can't get rid of! This is terrible stuff and I've kept him off the computer because of the adult pops that keep appearing.

When I try to remove it, Spybot tells me that it can't do it because it is actively running, even when I restart and run the removal tool at startup, it still can't do it.

Any advice please?
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Download MS Anti Spyware...
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

from this post:::
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=66027

It detected and removed stuff that I couldn't get rid of either...

Crap, tried but my son's computer is running ME and this app only supports 2000 and XP...any other suggestions? I have that damn SmitFraud virus...and a few others....
    Susan Arts
    Moxy Media

Try booting up in safe mode and run your anit-virus and anti-spyware, then reboot normally. Been a long time since I had ME so I'm not sure if you have a command prompt. If the above doesn't work, last time I checked datafellows.com had a DOS anti-virus you could load on a floppy and boot into a command prompt and run it.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    SmitFraud virus
    Anti-spyware programs don't fix virii. You'll need an anti-virus tool to kill it (or go the geek route and search out manual removal instructions to follow)...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I concur with running the anti-virus programs in Safe Mode.

That's the only way I've been able to get rid of some of the latest malware that runs multiple copies of itself at once. Kill one copy and the other one(s) detect it and regenerate it. In Safe Mode they don't run so all the copies can be eliminated.

On my PC, a Dell, hitting F8 repeatedly on bootup will give you boot options, one of which is to start up in Safe Mode.

The only program I've found that kills most of those things is Spyware Doctor. PC magazine recently rated it as the best. I used to use AdAware but it missed too many things. I also use a program called "Trojan Horse Detector & Remover".

After running those two in Safe Mode I then run Norton (also in Safe Mode) but it never finds anything -- the other two have already found them all.

-- Mike
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

I ended up downloading panda (is that a spyware and antivirus program in one...please say yes!), installed it and then restarted per the instructions. The next thing that happened was that I lost all my drivers...

Half hour later, fixed that, ran the program (which by the time I started was bedtime for my son, so I just let it run until this morning) and this morning, after restarting the machine again, it appeared to be fine, but then the damn dialogue box showed up telling me something .dll was %^$SD&% up! Not sure if that is still linked to the SmitFraud virus or not but, I'm about driven to drink over this.

I'll try the safe mode thing tonight when I get home again....and if that works, then I have to move onto my daughter's machine and do it bloody well all over again.
    Susan Arts
    Moxy Media

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O
    The only program I've found that kills most of those things is Spyware Doctor. PC magazine recently rated it as the best. I used to use AdAware but it missed too many things. I also use a program called "Trojan Horse Detector & Remover".

After running those two in Safe Mode I then run Norton (also in Safe Mode) but it never finds anything -- the other two have already found them all.

-- Mike
    I agree. A woman I know has those evil genius kids too downloading crapware from everywhere and the ONLY thing I found, because it was so highly recommended, is Spyware Doctor. I had tried all my old tricks for about 6 hours before I had to go look for another solution and SD took it all out in about 15 minutes . . .

IF any of the Anti-Majors out there were any freakin good the crap wouldn't be loading or getting anywhere near the innerds of our puters. I've tried them all and they are all fairly useless when it comes to defending against virii . . .

By the way, MS Antispyware is BETA and is now called MS Defender . . . I'm scoping it out now for my box . . .

I don't know how to train my kids to stop this from happening...perhaps watching me bang my head on the keyboard, weeping like a baby will somehow get to them....

Last year I had set them up with only certain rights, but the to and fros of me having to provide them with permission to download things etc. was just running me ragged...so I thought I'd have them take some responsibility...waaaaaaaaaaaaa, now I'm paying the price for it.

Susan Arts
    Moxy Media

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I don't know how to train my kids to stop this from happening
    My 11-year old goes to CartoonNetwork and Nick

Every 5 minutes something pops up that says "Click agree to download such and such"

or something similar

What I do is tell him always say NO to whatever is asked - no exceptions ever

If a game doesn't run because he clicked NO to installing the latest version of Flash... then so be it... DADDY will do it later

Quote Originally Posted by Susan_ShareResults
    Half hour later, fixed that, ran the program (which by the time I started was bedtime for my son, so I just let it run until this morning) and this morning, after restarting the machine again, it appeared to be fine, but then the damn dialogue box showed up telling me something .dll was %^$SD&% up!
    Try unregistering the .dll file. Find the name and location of it, then go to a command prompt, go to the location of that file, type regsvr32 /u blah.dll.

*blah.dll being the file you want to unregister.

The press CTRL-ALT-DEL and select Task Manager, then highlight and click END TASK for all programs that is running under your username.

Run Spybot again after that. Download the latest version if you're having ver 1.3 or 1.4.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread