What a cop-out by Ebay.
    Oh they're acknowledging there are problems, but their solution is to redefine what "revenue" is after-the-fact. Nice.

After a month of experience with our new revenue share compensation model, we would like to provide you with important information regarding your Affiliate commissions. We want to acknowledge a couple of issues that we are now aware of relating to limitations in our ability to calculate every possible revenue event for the purposes of Affiliate compensation, and let you know our plans to address this situation.

We are now aware of the following situations which you may observe in your reporting from Commission Junction:

1) Rapid fire bidding – We have not been able to track all Winning Bids occurring as a result of rapid fire bidding. This issue is a result of de-duplication logic in place which prevents duplicate transactions from being posted.
    2) International Listings – Listings originating on international versions of the eBay site are not captured as revenue events for the U.S. Affiliate program.
    3) Delayed Revenue Reporting – In less than 5% of transactions, a fraction of revenue is reported after the close of the auction. Our infrastructure is not currently able to correlate this “trailing” revenue with Affiliate actions.

We believe it is important to openly communicate these issues to our Affiliates in order to acknowledge that we are aware of them and let you know we are working hard to change our infrastructure to capture the above revenue. We will continue to keep you updated on our progress towards implementing a long-term solution. In the meantime, however, we have modified our definition of eBay Revenue to reflect and include only what we are capable of tracking. In the upcoming months, eBay revenue will not include any of the revenue events listed above.

Just as we have done in the past, we intend to make our Affiliates whole for the month of October. We will be working through these calculations over the coming weeks and will post corrections to your accounts during the next payment cycle.

To be clear, our payout structure was originally designed using the same definition of revenue that we report and track today. The scenarios above introduce additional revenue to the revenue-share model, meaning that when we implement the long-term solve, we will likely modify the tiers as well.

Since eBay’s launch of the new revenue share compensation structure, we have seen total payouts increase, and Affiliates are broadly earning more through our program than they ever have in the past. We are extremely proud of how quickly the Affiliate community has been able to adapt to this change and optimize campaigns. We greatly appreciate your patience and loyalty as we work through these tough issues. eBay continues to be extremely supportive of its Affiliate program, and we strive to make decisions in an open and entrepreneurially-minded way. Our intent is to continue to provide a program which allows for Affiliate entrepreneurs to continue to operate and grow profitable businesses by generating demand for the eBay Marketplace.

-Best wishes for ongoing success!
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

I guess my question is where did you get this email ? I have sent several 1,000,000 dollars worth of Pezz traffic their way and I did not get this letter. Puzzling....
    Need eBooks ? [URL=http://www.softebooks.com]We gott'em[/URL]:escape:<br>

I'd also received this, about an hour ago, from CJ's network.

Tuan

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I thought I read it right.
    It's a bizarre thing. We are having a technical problem. It's our fault. We know there is a problem. Instead of fixing it, we are just going to not pay you for what we can't track easily. What is worse is that if there is rapid fire bidding, shouldn't those be the items that sell the highest because people are bidding it up rapidly.

The email should have ended saying, we know there is a problem and tracking is hard, but rest assured we will pay you, just be patient. I mean if they aren't going to pay us, why fix the problem. I hate these take it or leave it attitude of some of the merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    It's a bizarre thing. .....
    The email should have ended saying, we know there is a problem and tracking is hard, but rest assured we will pay you, just be patient. I mean if they aren't going to pay us, why fix the problem. I hate these take it or leave it attitude of some of the merchants.
    Yes, but their money is green..... It takes awhile to get.... but none the less it is green.

On the other hand, that would explain CJ's tracking problems.
    Need eBooks ? [URL=http://www.softebooks.com]We gott'em[/URL]:escape:<br>

Here's my understanding of this email:

a) eBay is acknowledging problems with three tracking scenarios, which seems to cover the issues outlined here and on the eBay board by Tracy et al.

b) eBay is working to account for the incomplete revenue reporting, for October's transactions, and will compensate affiliates accordingly.

c) As of November 1st, the definition for eBay Revenue was revised to include only what eBay/CJ is capable of tracking. This will likely last for a few months, as eBay work on a long-term solve which will accommodate for the three outlined scenarios.

d) Since the current pay out structure is based on the current (incorrect/incomplete) tracking system, a corrected (long-term) system will likely arrive with a modification of the pay out structure.

Tuan

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Quote Originally Posted by TLE
    c) As of November 1st, the definition for eBay Revenue was revised to include only what eBay/CJ is capable of tracking. This will likely last for a few months, as eBay work on a long-term solve which will accommodate for the three outlined scenarios.
    If they are not going to pay us going foward and we will accept it. And no where do they mention trying to fix the problem. Why would they put any effort into fixing the problem?

It seems to me their attitude is, we can't fix it so we are letting you know we are just not going to pay you.

Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    And no where do they mention trying to fix the problem
    "...we are working hard to change our infrastructure to capture the above revenue."

Tuan

What $#@$....eBay's affiliate program is the worst run affiliate program IMHO....

They're setting themselves up for a huge legal fiasco.....

In spite of it all Ebay is still the best thing I have on cj these days. Still, over the last few weeks the % of conversion has went south. Just for comparison, when have any of you began to notice a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    In spite of it all Ebay is still the best thing I have on cj these days. Still, over the last few weeks the % of conversion has went south. Just for comparison, when have any of you began to notice a difference?
    For me, Ebay is on par with last month, perhaps just a hair ahead of last month.

Correction: In fairness after taking a second look mine don't look too far off from last month either....but then again I did not start anything of worthy volume until a couple months ago and I do think at some point around that time the tracking infrastructure was changed? The only thing I can use as a guage is historical network wide EPC, but with people using forced impressions and the like this is a useless end. Years ago, when I did them the first time, the Earnings seen as EPC was better in a big way....but I can't hold that against them as the model has been changed since then. I just wish I have been involved just a bit longer so I can better judge what is going on.

So I guess I can just cross my fingers and hope for the best. Still, at least they are not in denial, and in this business that is nothing but a good thing.

I agree, it's a massive cop-out.

"We realize that we are not compensting you for commissions you have earned. So our response is to redefine what we say we will pay you".

Unfortunately, they have the money, and we want it. Unless we all decide to pull our links -- which isn't going to happen -- they can do this to us.

Hell, they could tomorrow say "we're going to only pay you 90% of what we originally said we would pay you" and people would still keep their links up.

It's clearly not right, but they will get away with it.

Ralph

I'll hand it to Ebay though... this is the first time I've seen a merchant or network come out and candidly state "The answer is that we're going to **** you."

Better than the CJ reacharound...

Quote Originally Posted by dharding
    I'll hand it to Ebay though... this is the first time I've seen a merchant or network come out and candidly state "The answer is that we're going to **** you."

Better than the CJ reacharound...
    Just make sure you have more merchants on your promotion list. So it won't hurt your earnings when you fed up with EBay.

16. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread