Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Anger Management Class..........
    Well, I failed my anger management this last weekend...... went out for a stroll on the family woods, 42 acres stashed back in the middle of nowhere, in Green Country, Indiana...... and came upon a deer stand someone had put up on our property. Is that nervy or what? We have 'no hunting' signs posted. Not only were they hunting on the land, the stand was about 20' high, metal, screwed into OUR tree at the top, with this winch gizmo securing it as well. Oh, and there were beer cans at the base of the tree.

I started out kinda ticked off, just disassembling the thing with the notion of leaving it by the side of the road with a nasty note, but halfway through taking it apart, I cut my hand wide open on a particularly rough part.

So, then I took out my hatchet. The ladder was metal, you see, but, alas, the stand itself was not.

I took the bottom half of the stand , and left the top, along with a variety of pieces that used to be a fairly nice stand, scattered about the tree.

Got my tetnus shot yesterday, curse his soul.

A fellow should be able to walk through his own woodland peacefully, though, without worrying about gettin' his @ss shot off by some vagrant hunter.

( end rant )
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I'm sure all the deer are happy to hear this too

I suggest putting up a very very large electrified fence (without a warning sign) with tons of razor wire on the top around the perimeter of your property.

If there is one thing I cannot stand, it's someone not respecting someone else's property. Having had 6 cars in my family stolen (5 right from our property.. and my family lives in a good neighborhood two blocks from the police station!), I have very little sympathy for trespassers and thieves.

I can understand you failing anger management. I would too in that situation.

-M
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    We live almost next door to a hunting club. Our next door neighbor's property abuts theirs. Those clowns had the nerve to build an archery blind in a tree on our neighbor's property. What's so spectacularly dumb about the maneuver is that the neighbor on the other side of their house is a...

You ready? I love this...
    State Trooper!
    Even better, the neighbor next to the state trooper is a...
    lawyer in the state Attorney General's office!
    Can you say, "BUSTED?"

ABW Ambassador
    Damn that sucks... just be glad they weren't there while you were taking a walk, otherwise it might have ended quickly...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Placing a mated pair of Wolverines on your land will work more wonders then even a few bad dogs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Placing a mated pair of Wolverines on your land will work more wonders then even a few bad dogs.
    Ooh! I like that idea.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Affiliate Manager
    Well the worse thing about it is if you do something that causes personal injury to the people that trespass on your land is that they can probably actually sue you and win. Even if they got drunk in their deer stand and fell out and broke their neck you could get sued... ain't the law great?

So I wouldn't recommend setting any traps

When I was younger I remember my grandfather in Norther Michigan complaining (to the Sheriff) about the same thing on his 10 acre property. I guess the hunters didn't realize that someone lived there full time and not just summer time.

I would of wired it with electricity so when he returned and sat on it
    BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    .....heck after they've hunted down and eaten all the deer, they'll be nothing to shoot at anyway!!!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Rhea- I do believe that's pretty high on the 'stupid' list, lol, ticking off a state trooper neighbor.

Glad I'm not going to be around when the guy finds what's left of his stand. I expect he won't wanna shake my hand, though he's probably going to be looking around, expecting to be ambushed by some axe weilding nut. We have a run down old barn not too far away, if he's in a vengeful mood, I expect I'll find that barn either shot full of holes or burned down ( which would be a good thing, actually ) ......
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

In order to get any enforcement of trespass violatons in Colorado we have to gate and fence the property with "No Tresspassing" signs posted 50 feet apart. The most probable result would be hours spend patching the fence and removing dead deer from it.

My daughter has a fenced place in Montana that is home to four Rotwiellers. The sign on the gate reads "These dogs can get to this gate in 4 seconds. How fast are you?"
    Last edited by erninator; November 15th, 2005 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ~Ernie

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    @ Elbow -- Sucks that someone would do that. But, I'm glad you didn't end up running into some armed hothead!

Even so I think I would have chopped the thing up, too. The gall of that guy!

The sign on the gate reads "These dogs can get to this gate in 4 seconds. How fast are you?"
    Ha ha I love it!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    In order to get any enforcement of trespass violatons in Colorado we have to gate and fence the property with "No Tresspassing" signs posted 50 feet apart. The most probable result would be hours spend patching the fence and removing dead deer from it.

My daughter has a fenced place in Montana that is home to four Rotwiellers. The sign on the gate reads "These dogs can get to this gate in 4 seconds. How fast are you?"
    Real scary would be to footnote the Rotweillers sign with... The 4 Rotweillers were gutted by a pair of resident Wolverines. They'll eat the crap out of your pants as desert.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I don't blame you Elbow. I think the part that would fire me up the most was the damage to the tree...

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I would of wired it with electricity so when he returned and sat on it
    BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Ditto zzzzzzzzzzzzzzit zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzapppo

One of the best deterrents that you can post ( it works well!) ...
    Post signs "Hunting rights to this property have been leased to "ElbowCreek"? Hunting Club."
    Seems to make them a lot less interested in poaching ... pondering how many guns are already out there

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread