View Poll Results: What Do You Think Of BLOGS In Your Search Results?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are the best - the cat's meow!

1 5.56%
  • They are better than other types of web results

2 11.11%
  • They can be good, they can be worthless

8 44.44%
  • They are worthless much of the time

3 16.67%
  • They are worthless most of the time

4 22.22%
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What Do You Think Of Blogs In Your SERP's?
    What do you think of search results that are Blogs? I personally don't care for them too much. I would rather have an informational page with good navigation (although a few blogs offer this). I end up having to sift through more results than I used to in order to find what I want to find.

Are blogs a passing fad?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    A web page is a web page.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    A web page is a web page.
    Today I was searching a phrase and rather than get a page dealing with the topic I wanted information on I got a blog with the text phrase buried deep within a post. In delivering search results, certain blogs function almost like a scraper site.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Blogs = junky results. The biggest problem is, Goofle tends to direct people to the blogs' front page. But, by the time a blog is indexed, the post which caused the ranking is usually well buried, and is often impossible for the searcher to find.

This could easily be solved simply by listing the particular post, rather than the main page. Most (if not all) blogs do have a way to view the posts as single entries, and G and the other SEs should make use of that feature!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'm with TN1 on this one. If it's relevant to the subject at hand, so what?

Complaints about this remind me of the old "go to the back of the bus" for blacks and "No Irish" signs on the doors of business establishments.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    If it's relevant to the subject at hand, so what?
    The problem is, usually the relevant bit is unfindable upon reaching the site.

I have a couple of blogs and a lot of times, my logs are showing that people have to use the on-site search to actually find what they're looking for. SEs aren't doing very well at actually sending the user to the relevant destination.

"No Irish" signs on the doors of business establishments.
    No IRISH?? Geesh people will come up with all kinds of things. When/where was this piece of human weirdness? Nowadays I don't think I could tell if someone was Irish unless s/he blatantly said so...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    For some bizarre and as yet unidentified reason one of my sites gets a lot of hits from blogs in Poland. Since I don't read Polish I have no idea whether the traffic being sent is useful to me or not. Probably not.

Animal Lover
    I like blogs - but that's me...it's kinda like taking a peek into someone's life and times (not all of them are like that - some are just plain spammy looking but others are nice).

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

ABW Ambassador
    When i know the results are a blog, i just click on cached and see the info.

So far what I am seeing confirms what I was thinking before-hand. Blogs have a place if used for what they were intended for, a log. They are a great way of presenting information for ongoing events like current events, a long trip/journey, or any long process where there is interest of what is happening along the way. I see blogs used a lot for static-type content however (probably due to SEO considerations) and that is what I find a bit counter-productive from a searcher's point of view. In fact I just was looking for some information since my last post that was supposedly buried within a blog - it was gone. (I will try your suggestion chetf next time)

For example, if someone wanted to do a site all about 57 Chevys, a well-laid out non-blog site would make it easier for the visitor to find what they needed to find. On the other hand, if someone were chronicling the restoration of a 57 Chevy to "mint" condition, a blog would probably be appropriate and in fact work very well.

It all boils down to constructing web sites with features that work best for the visitor. SEO, although important if you want traffic, should never trump this first consideration.

Blogs are largely a waste of space from my perspective.

If they come up in my stats, it's almost always for a stolen picture, rarely for a proper link.

If I'm searching, then like people have said it's either gone or it's on line no. 787 of 936 on the page.

Even when you find the right place it's usually just somebodys rambling opinion written for the benefit of their ego or at best - for their mates.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread