Strange Contact Info
    I have a contact form on my site where prospective clients can send their contact information to arrange a call or for more information. Someone, or something, just filled in a phone number and email address but no name or website. Doing a search for the phone number they gave showed 57 results and all of the ones I looked were just like the information they gave on my from, but some had more information like the person's name. None of the results had anything in common and some were even in foreign languages. It's almost like someone is passing someone else's contact info all over the web or it's some kind of bot going crazy.

Anyone else get something strange like this? I'm curious as to the purpose of this. If someone was just trying to get some revenge on someone else, I would think they would have provided a name on my contact form. On other sites, they listed the person's name, address and email. The domain in the email is the same but the actual account is different and they're all strange like a few numbers and letters. Just thought this was odd and wondered if anyone had a similar entry.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It sounds like a revenge thing, unless all the queries are for the same niche, in which case it just may be some nut obsessed with checking out responses from ALL the related companies (only a nut would really want to query 57 companies, I would think).

But it really strikes me as someone who wants to see a target deluged in calls and/or emails. I don't know why they missed the name on your form, but the fact that other results do have a name makes me think that maybe their spam program just got messed up.

They're probably hoping to deluge the person in calls, but since the forms demand an email address they put something in. They're probably hoping that when the email addresses don't work, the companies will start calling. Either that, or the target keeps on changing their email address and the form-spammer is just putting in the new ones as they occur.

A lot of contact forms have an area where the person says what their inquiry is about or can type in questions--did they ask any?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

You could be right, Leader. There is a place for text but nothing was entered, only the email address and phone number. On other sites, the person's name and address was listed. None of the other sites seemed to be related ranging from Women owned businesses (this is a man's name), hardcore motorcycle club, some Arabic site, etc. On one site, the contact form was messed up by his post as it has this same contact info embedded into the page's code at the bottom of the page. It looked like he entered the info and it somehow messed up the form and page since it showed his info on the bottom of the page outside of the page's border. Just thought this was strange and interesting. Thanks.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread