2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Angry One Merchant not opposed to Spyware- Dell
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07...y_controversy/ ..."Dell has rejected allegations that its PCs come pre-loaded with an intrusive application that spies on users' surfing habits. The equipment manufacturer said there was nothing untoward about My Way Search Assistant despite complaints from customers that the toolbar impairs computer performance, changes browser settings and is difficult to remove.

The inclusion of My Way on Dell's Dimension desktop and Inspiron notebooks has prompted complaints to Dell's support pages, numerous gripes in online bulletin boards and even an accusation that the package is spyware. The latter accusation greatly overstates other assessments of the nuisance level posed by the application.

Anti-spyware firm Sunbelt Software defines My Way components as a "potential privacy risk" that pose a moderate threat to users.... My Way Search Assistant is marketed by developer AskJeeves

"MyWay Speedbar is a search toolbar that installs into Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator, adding search functions and popup blocking. MyWay Search Bar is a toolbar that is added to the major web browsers. While it has some desired features, it does anonymously report your surfing activity when on a Myway or Myway affiliated site, helping their product serve you targeted advertising based on surfing habits of its users. Based on their End User License Agreement, they may also choose to correlate the anonymous surfing habits with your personal profile if you sign up for anything while on their sites," it said.

A Dell spokesperson said concerns about the product were misplaced. "My Way is not a spyware product and it does not monitor user's behaviour. It's a toolbar that displays relevant search results in response to search queries," she said. "You can disable the product using the options menu."

Read all about how the Dell AM's deliver systems pre-loaded with Adware giving the BHO's double your commissions... while stuffing cookies like an Obese child.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

Really?
    Great link donuts. The article clearly shows My Way to be a BHO. This is really surprising.

"You can disable the product using the options menu." - why have it in the first place?

Adware is giving me a vicious temper nowadys. I keep losing focus of the window I am typing. ^%$$ hooliganism i say.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Dell is losing market share now, they've recently lost their spot as the number one personal computer maker to Hewlett-Packard.

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/invest...118_932572.htm
    ~~~~~~~quote~~~~~~~
    Now the two consulting firms mostly agree that HP has a firm lead. IDC published statistics on Jan. 17 showing that Palo Alto-based HP had 18.1% market share during the three months ended December, while Round Rock (Tex.)-based Dell had only 14.7%. By Gartner's count HP had 17.4% market share and Dell takes second place with 13.9%.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They had a big lead and have lost it.

~~~~~~~quote~~~~~~~
    Dell was the only vendor among the top five, which include Lenovo, Acer, and Toshiba, to have fewer computer shipments during the quarter
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~quote~~~~~~~
    "the continued deterioration in PC shipments suggests that Dell's attempts to repair its business are not yet bearing fruit," JP Morgan analyst Bill Shope said
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Instead of bundling MyWay (and denying that it's crapware) and other shitware, they should bundle (for free!) award winning anti-spyware and start advertising themselves as the clean computer company... people are tired of shitware on their pc.

I won't buy from Dell because of the MyWay fiasco. I deeply resent being lied to and cheated and spied upon so that my computer vendor can monetize my use of what I've bought from them by contaminating it.

Read this story from castlecops about how they lied about it:
    http://www.castlecops.com/a6162-The_..._Way_Saga.html

Read this post in the Dell forums on how to remove the MyWay Search Assistant:
    http://www.dellcommunity.com/support...uery.id=188557

In that forum, note lines like this one:
    Type MsiExec.exe /X{78d944d7-a97b-4004-ab0a-b5ad06839940}

Are you freaking kidding me!!!!!!!!!!

Dell, you've made your bed, now LIE in it.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread