Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    48 million web users run spyware that deletes cookies
    http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=16712

48 million web users run spyware that deletes cookies, study says

More than 48 million Internet users—about 32% of online consumers—are running anti-spyware that deletes third-party tracking cookies, with nearly 38 million using aggressive anti-spyware that deletes nearly 75% of cookies, according to a new report from JupiterResearch.

“Cookie deletion and blocking has become a burning issue,” said David Schatsky, senior vice president of research.

Companies that move to first-party cookies from third-party cookies typically see a 10% to 15% increase in unique visitors, Jupiter found. In addition, those companies experienced a 13% to 30% increase in repeat visitors and 10% to 30% more visitors attributed to specific marketing campaigns.

Jupiter recommends that site operators move from third-party to first-party cookies. It also suggests that technology vendors lobby anti-spyware vendors to remove their third-party cookies from their blacklists.

JupiterResearch tested the effectiveness of anti-spyware applications at 12 popular media and shopping destinations.

Whew... Not a very optimistic study conclusion for the affiliate marketing...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Here's a bow shot for the Adware/Spyware folks and their pool of sheister affiliate installers.

Published: Wednesday 16 November 2005

A group of internet companies is set to announce a new program to certify downloads so consumers can get friendly and non-invasive software.

The "Trusted Download Program" is backed by AOL, CA, CNET Networks, Verizon and Yahoo!. The program is set to begin early next year in a trial version, when the internet partners will get access to a list of applications certified by TRUSTe, according to a statement from the group.

Fran Maier, executive director and president of TRUSTe, said in the statement: "With consumers downloading more and more software, it's vital to give people real control over what they will allow on their computers." The official announcement of the initiative is scheduled for Wednesday morning at an event here.

Spyware and adware have become widely despised for sneaky distribution tactics, unauthorised data gathering, the eating-up of computer processing power and other annoyances. Although adware makers say there are legitimate uses for their programs, an entire anti-spyware market has been spawned to combat the often unwanted software.

The Trusted Download Program won't blacklist adware or spyware. Instead, to be certified, makers of the software have to clearly communicate what their product does. The user then has to consent prior to download and again when installing the software.

For example, software that displays advertisements or tracks user behaviour must disclose what type of ads will be displayed and what information will be tracked, according to the statement. The disclosure must also include which user settings may be altered, and must obtain consent for the download, the statement said.

Furthermore, easy instructions to uninstall the software must be provided and displayed ads must be labelled with the name of the ad-serving software.

A 'whitelist' of approved applications will be provided to the program sponsors, who can use it to make decisions about advertising, partnering or distributing software, according to the statement. TRUSTe already certifies and monitors website privacy and email practices.

Joris Evers writes for CNET News.com
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"Jupiter recommends that site operators move from third-party to first-party cookies."

That is one factor to consider while choosing in-house vs network programs.

I read about a similar study, forget where, that said many users "thought" they were deleting cookies because it was a feature of some other program they had. The feature was optional and very few had it turned on, so their cookies were not being deleted like they thought.

These studies do show a dangerous trend for our biz, though, and I wish the anti spyware companies were a little more careful with their actions. By deleting cookies, they can claim to do a better job of cleaning up.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Here's a bow shot for the Adware/Spyware folks and their pool of sheister affiliate installers.

Published: Wednesday 16 November 2005

A group of internet companies is set to announce a new program to certify downloads so consumers can get friendly and non-invasive software.

The "Trusted Download Program" is backed by AOL, CA, CNET Networks, Verizon and Yahoo!. The program is set to begin early next year in a trial version, when the internet partners will get access to a list of applications certified by TRUSTe, according to a statement from the group.

Fran Maier, executive director and president of TRUSTe, said in the statement: "With consumers downloading more and more software, it's vital to give people real control over what they will allow on their computers." The official announcement of the initiative is scheduled for Wednesday morning at an event here.

Spyware and adware have become widely despised for sneaky distribution tactics, unauthorised data gathering, the eating-up of computer processing power and other annoyances. Although adware makers say there are legitimate uses for their programs, an entire anti-spyware market has been spawned to combat the often unwanted software.

The Trusted Download Program won't blacklist adware or spyware. Instead, to be certified, makers of the software have to clearly communicate what their product does. The user then has to consent prior to download and again when installing the software.

For example, software that displays advertisements or tracks user behaviour must disclose what type of ads will be displayed and what information will be tracked, according to the statement. The disclosure must also include which user settings may be altered, and must obtain consent for the download, the statement said.

Furthermore, easy instructions to uninstall the software must be provided and displayed ads must be labelled with the name of the ad-serving software.

A 'whitelist' of approved applications will be provided to the program sponsors, who can use it to make decisions about advertising, partnering or distributing software, according to the statement. TRUSTe already certifies and monitors website privacy and email practices.

Joris Evers writes for CNET News.com
    One problem... MANY of the crapware players I see everyday already have TRUSTe's seal of approval - one of their existing one's - so I don't trust them to certify ANYTHING.

eBates, ezula, iwon, weatherbug, whenu, etc...

TRUSTe has already proven they'll write the weakest certs around - it's just a game to them - anything for a buck.

Ben exposed them a long time ago!
    http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/ns8/

ABW Ambassador
    Merchants and networks just need to use another way to track sales.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by nish
    "Jupiter recommends that site operators move from third-party to first-party cookies."

That is one factor to consider while choosing in-house vs network programs.
    Linkshare is also based on Merchant or "first-party" cookies.

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    Cookies are currently the best way to track sales, but there should be non-cookie-based backup solution that determines leaks and tracks them, as well.

Lucky for midPhase affiliates we also do IP tracking as well as cookies (and just incase the cookie survives the spyware, it will last for 365 days!)

Sorry, shameless plug ;-]

Why any affiliate wouldn't push SunBelts CounterSpy (50% commission) or the MS ant-spy program over others, that whack network cookies, amazes me. SpyBot and Adaware both whack network cookies. ShareaSale, or another network, should work out a deal for a OEM version of a good detect/remove program.... that leaves the network cookies intact, Develop a visitor detect script, hooked to a courtesy online scan/remove feature, and let affiliates and network merchants kill the BHOs on alerted traffic. Nice PR move.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Don't promote Anti Spyware Apps. Just Promote one.

The reason they delete cookies is because incase the person has spyware they don't want the spyware bastards to make a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    The reason they delete cookies is because incase the person has spyware they don't want the spyware bastards to make a dime.
    They delete cookies because the public is misinformed about cookies.

Consumer's think cookies are bad and are evil little programs - they are neither.

Anti-spyware companies have to sell to consumer expectations, even when those expectations are wrong.

So you are saying Spyware App makers who enable the deletion of Cookies by default aren't aware what they are used for and think their a security risk? If that is the case why do they just delete the Ad cookies?

Find one app that deletes all your cookies by default I don't know of one and I have used many.

I think the spyware apps delete cookies to add the perception of more value. Look at the results next time you scan, subtract the cookies and see how few results you get. If someone buys it and runs a scan and their PC is clean, they may feel they didn't need the spyware remover. But, show them 200 cookie items you just removed and they think they spent their money well. I doubt the spyware app makers are ignorant of cookie and their use, it's likely just don't know the real damage their doing to site owners. Or, that they just don't care.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Greg - Yes, exactly - and the "value" is in the eye of the misinformed public.

Pure play scare marketing with the added fact that 70% of the advertised Anti-Spyware/Adware programs are bogus. Many written or put out there by the Spyware/Adware companies, and their shanky distributors.

One thing for certain is the playing field for the BHO sleazeballs is getting narrower. The P2P distribution is trailing off with the close of some big manes there. They you have Yahoo giving up paying the likes of 180Solutions, Gator/Claria and Whenu for draining their Overture accounts for no value. .. Aol and MSN join Yahoo to throw down the gauntlet to the antics of the BHO searchbar hijackers... http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...67.htm?chan=db

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Why any affiliate wouldn't push SunBelts CounterSpy (50% commission) or the MS ant-spy program over others, that whack network cookies, amazes me. SpyBot and Adaware both whack network cookies. ShareaSale, or another network, should work out a deal for a OEM version of a good detect/remove program.... that leaves the network cookies intact, Develop a visitor detect script, hooked to a courtesy online scan/remove feature, and let affiliates and network merchants kill the BHOs on alerted traffic. Nice PR move.
    Because they [Sunbelt] have no idea how to identify the real ones ... Ben offered, thank you, but the fudging boy has no idea even what a performics link looks like ... much less the rest of the real tracking cookies, but we are the a55e5.

I said white label this shoot [sunbelt] a long time ago but no one listens to me --- don't worry I'm used to it.... it's your money.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Sami B - Uncommon Goods
    Cookies are currently the best way to track sales, but there should be non-cookie-based backup solution that determines leaks and tracks them, as well.
    I agree with Sami 10000-fold. Without tracking fore-and-aft we don't stand a chance.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    And why is the public misinformed? Who participated the cookie is bad mentality? Or they just meeting consumers expectations or is it what came first the chicken or the egg? The antispyware Industry is a multi billion dollar one. Can you even get a free version of Adaware now on their site?

The 32% by Jupiter sounds like realistic numbers. It's close to the 40% I've been hearing from within the AM Industry (nothing published of course) for cookie blocking/washing and ad blocking.

I did a test of several antispyware apps for cookie detection against several affiliate cookies for Andy's course that had to be cancelled. I'll throw out what I found here.

I tested for the following Network cookie being detected: CJ (4 different cookies), LS, PFX, VC, MYAP, SAS, DirectLeads, LinkMo, WebSponsor, EMarketers, Incentaclick, AzoogleAds (2 cookies), QuinnStreet (2 cookies), AllPosters and Amazon.

I tested the following antispyware applications for detecting the above cookies: Adaware, Aluria, CounterSpy, McAfee, PestPatrol, Spybot, SpyDoctor, SpySweeper and TrendMicro.

The results:

Adaware detected: CJ (3 cookies), LS, VC

Counterspy detected: CJ (1 cookie but it was the one responsible for tracking), VC, WebSponsor

McAfee detected: LS (4 detections for LS even though there is only one LS cookie), VC (2 detections even though there is only one VC cookie)

PestPatrol: CJ (2 cookies), LS, VC, PFX

Spybot: Didn't detect any. This has not been my past experience with SpyBot and surprised me.

SpyDoctor: CJ (3 cookies), VC, LS, PFX, DirectLeads

SpySweeper: CJ (3 cookies), LS, WebSponsors, AzoogleAds (1 cookie)

TrendMicro: CJ (3 cookies), LS, VC, WebSponsor (detected 2 cookies but there was only one), AzoogleAds (1 cookie)

Aluria found 'bad' things on my computer but would not tell you exactly what it was they found. You have to pay to find out and clean your system.

And what was really ironic was that some of these apps were dropping ad cookies themselves when I scanned that ones in later tests picked up. Duh. Yeah they are really concerned about third party ad cookies being a 'threat'.

basic question: Do all networks use cookies exclusively for tracking? I was pretty sure about CJ but thought LS used cookies only for return days and the link referal for tracking. Wasn't that their patent they were touting a few years ago? The referal would be the weak link {sorry} then wouldn't it?

Do any networks use any other methods?

Smile
    My Safe Haven Sales Network model is the only bullet proof way to assure cookie tracking cannot be interferred with by any 3rd party. Doing so would violate existing Federal and State Laws. Any other network solution can lead to reporting breakdowns or manipulations. Only way a merchant can negate sales reporting is to turn off their cart function... Now detecting and removing the SHN cookie by some Anti- alarmist marketing outfit would result in some immediate cease & desist orders.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellie aka Ms. B
    And why is the public misinformed? Who participated the cookie is bad mentality? Or they just meeting consumers expectations or is it what came first the chicken or the egg? The antispyware Industry is a multi billion dollar one. Can you even get a free version of Adaware now on their site?
    Hey Kellie,

Was the LS cookie detected the "linksynergy" cookie? Or was it the merchant dropped cookie?

Kellie - could you please tell each network / tracking org that you tested which anti-spyware companies are whacking their cookies? The network has a financial interest in getting the anti-spyware orgs to fix the situation. You stand to gain a consulting fee (pitch - want to increase sales all over the place by asking someone else to straighten out their act). Affs everywhere stand to gain more comms (so merchants get more motivated promoting affs behind them). And the anti-spyware orgs stand to gain affiliates and networks who want to promote their products.

You hold the key (from your testing) and you have the reputation to make this offer be heard in all the right places.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast