How Many is to many competition wise?
    When researching new site ideas how many competitors are to many?

Or if a lot of competitors, if you can do it differently as far as organization or step it up a notch like add another feature, would you still implement the site?
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justwright
    When researching new site ideas how many competitors are to many?

Or if a lot of competitors, if you can do it differently as far as organization or step it up a notch like add another feature, would you still implement the site?
    I think if you have competition, that means what you're selling is in demand which is good in a sense. If you think you can make a better site than what's already out there, go for it. At least you know you will have an audience.

If there is currently no competition, there's probably a good reason for that but you could stumble on a niche no one has thought of or create a site about something you think has potential and see if your instincts are accurate.

I tend not to worry about competition or what everyone else is doing ... I usually hit it accurately, even if no one else has jumped on a specific product because I understand my audience's mindset. If it's not a popular product yet, I'll die trying to make it one. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I'd say 32,100,000+ currently I'm #6 but I was #'s 3, 4 and 5.

It gets hard and tight when your in that league. Everything else should be easier if you work smart and don't scam.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

BTW the lost positioning is adsense payoffs and other goofle issues related, nothing else.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    but you could stumble on a niche no one has thought of or create a site about something you think has potential and see if your instincts are accurate.

This would definitely be a niche and I believe if I take my time and think it through and not rush I can make it work. I know the audience it would appeal to but they are frickle in taste.

Thanks to both of you (Haiko and Rexanne) for your help and insight.
    LeDonna
    Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I'd say 32,100,000+ currently I'm #6 but I was #'s 3, 4 and 5.

It gets hard and tight when your in that league. Everything else should be easier if you work smart and don't scam.
    My competition is slightly narrower. 14,700,000+ to be exact. And I am currently #1.

Competition is good. Helps us work more, and, in the process, achieve more!

Geno

hey geno,

how many of your compeditors are your affiliates

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Best is 0 competition. Be the first. Create something new and have people saying "I wish I would have thought of that".

Next best is to go beyond what any of your competitors currently do. Be the site that people go to as an authority on your subject.

Beyond that, it's just a numbers game. If the online market for the category is $100 million/year, the category typically pays 10%, and there are 10,000 competitors, the "average" site only makes $1,000 per year.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by my2cents
    hey geno,

how many of your compeditors are your affiliates

Joe
    ZERO in the first 50 matches on the keyword I'm talking about here (russian gift)...

I agree with Michael. It's a long-time truth that one is to create his/her own niche and then - the success will inevitably be on his/her side!

Geno

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Just read this on one of the "help" pages of Goog Analytics:

"To a search engine, the best sites consist of many HTML files, each one text rich. If one of your articles mentions a topic for which you have more information, embed links to the extra information like this: "learn about painting with oil-based paint." Then, on the page with the extra information, make sure that you have a <title> tag with the appropriate title, in this case, "Painting with Oil-based Paint". This helps search engines to index your content, which in turn can help give you some visibility."

I've always been big on page titles and text. Even had a visitor who "loves" my site tell me the only "problem" was too much content to read through. LOL - Can't win 'em all but some of my pages are constant in the search engines, no matter what update they do so it must work somewhere.

Here's another tip I think makes sense for converting from Goog Analytics "Conversion University:"

"You may not consider yourself an expert in your field, but you probably know a great deal more than you give yourself credit for. Chances are that visitors will appreciate any advice you care to give. Writing articles related to your business and publishing them on your site can put you in the enviable situation of being perceived as an authority."
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread