no cookies .... no see my site
    Is there any way to stop people from using my site if they don't accept cookies?

I don't see any sense in sending sales to merchants if I am not getting comission from them.

What I would like to do is if they are not accepting cookies just let them view a page that tells them why they are not being allowed on my site.

Can anybody help me with this please?
    Last edited by MichaelColey; November 17th, 2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Normally a shopping cart checks for this cookie-on function.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    Is there any way to stop people from using my site if they do accept cookies?

I don't see any sense in sending sales to merchants if I am not getting comission from them.

What I would like to do is if they are not accepting cookies just let them view a page that tells them why they are not being allowed on my site.

Can anybody help me with this please?
    Good idea. We need a programmer. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I'm loving the direction of this. I had a similar idea about a year ago but when I asked another community for help they were all over me for asking without specifying a price I was willing to pay. I was given the idea that about $1500 was an average starting point for anyone in that community to begin building the software. Also alluding to there being no total in that initial figure either. At that time I did a gurgle on google and found bunches of links for programmers but didn't see anything along those lines of controlling site-on/site-off options . . . things may have changed . . . I like the idea though . . . maybe we can start a pool for developing costs. Seems to me that there are a LOT of programs that need to be built to defend the affiliate way.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Gordon, I've been to sites that blocked access if cookies weren't on so yes it can be done. I think it's done with javascript. Check a place like hotscripts.

Just a few lines of php or javascript. You try to set a test cookie, reload the page (or the invisible image), and see if it "took".
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Somebody! Teach us the "few lines"! I'm sure everyone here who has affiliate website(s) would appreciate it greatly...

Tim

Thank you InfoTim!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't want this behavior to affect bots (like Googlebot). Otherwise, all they'll index is your "you must have cookies enabled" page.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I would NOT do that...

I would redirect them to a page with PPC ads on them...
    Other wise most people will just back out and you lose any opportunity to make money... if they have cookies disabled there is probably a reason that they have it set that way... they are not going to take the time to turn cookies on for a few seconds on your site.. ( I wouldn't )

send non-cookie visitors to a page you can make money on with or without cookies...!!

AND...
    as MichaelColey said it could mess your SERPs up bigtime...

Just My Opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    I would NOT do that...

Other wise most people will just back out and you lose any opportunity to make money... if they have cookies disabled there is probably a reason that they have it set that way... they are not going to take the time to turn cookies on for a few seconds on your site.. ( I wouldn't )

send non-cookie visitors to a page you can make money on with or without cookies...!!

AND...

Just My Opinion....
    Hmm ... good info and warning. Thanks Michael and Mike!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    If you have a php site maybe put it on your redirect page?

The other thing is to consider is that if you are issuing the test cookie, then those folks who have first party cookies on but third party cookies (the network cookie) off would go through anyway? Someone who has actually seen the code for the cookie check might be able to say if that is correct or not. But that set up is probably more common than all cookies off which makes using the Network a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    Somebody! Teach us the "few lines"! I'm sure everyone here who has affiliate website(s) would appreciate it greatly...
    OK GENO!

Here's your code

http://techpatterns.com/downloads/ja...ck_cookies.php
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Good point Kellie! Testing for third party cookies is more difficult, but possible. If I get a chance I'll write it up, but it might not be until tomorrow.
    Tim

Affiliate Manager
    If you have a php site maybe put it on your redirect page?
    Not a bad idea... It would probably be better that way instead of putting it on all of your pages. This way SE Bots and people can surf your web pages with no problems. When the visitor clicks the buy button on your site, that is linked to a redirect script with the cookie checker in it, it can then either redirect to the merchants site or show your customized message if no cookies are being accepted.

I been doing some testing on my dynamic template for On Track Lighting. With your cookies turned off you should still be able to browse the site with no problems until you click the buy buttons for any of the products.

http://www.lightaffiliates.com/otl/

Quote Originally Posted by Chet_B
    Not a bad idea... It would probably be better that way instead of putting it on all of your pages. This way SE Bots and people can surf your web pages with no problems. When the visitor clicks the buy button on your site, that is linked to a redirect script with the cookie checker in it, it can then either redirect to the merchants site or show your customized message if no cookies are being accepted.

I been doing some testing on my dynamic template for On Track Lighting. With your cookies turned off you should still be able to browse the site with no problems until you click the buy buttons for any of the products.

http://www.lightaffiliates.com/otl/
    So affiliates should be able to redirect if a visitor clicks an aff link but does not have cookies installed ... I love it. :-) Only problem would be for the shoppers who are ready to purchase NOW. That would be a big deterrent and affs and merchants would lose revenue. I think the stats for buying on the initial visit (or click) are highest, with cookie sales lagging pretty far behind. I'm sure cookies make affs plenty of money but the initial click purchase is the highest. If someone knows different, please enlighten us. I assume these figures by trying to analyze my network and merchant stats so I could be way off.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    I would NOT do that...

AND...

Just My Opinion....
    Best reply so far..... (I think.)

Is there any way to stop people from using my site if they don't accept cookies?
    Yes!, There are More than one way!

But you won't get the rope from me, I am not Dr. Kevorkian!

Sal.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread