Question Can't PM -- what's the post minimum?
    I tried to PM for the first time today and received a message stating that I need more posts before I'll be allowed to PM.

I've been a lurker for a few years (mostly to keep up to date with Tigerdirect's promos).

Anyway, the msg did not state how many posts I need before I'll be allowed to PM. The rules don't seem to mention them either. And search for "PM" doesn't work because the string is too short.

Thanks for your time and help.

no number will be posted to eliminate people posting useless bits just to get the privilege.
    It will come with time and posts is all you'll get
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

TY Dawg.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I totally understand the need for this kind of measure. I run a board of my own and PM spamming/referral/affiliate links are very common.

I feel though that time should be taken into consideration. My first post was in April of 2002. If my intention was to spam, we'd have had this conversation a long time ago.

I've been a member for 3 and a half years and I'm still considered a "Newbie" and I can't send a PM? That doesn't sound quite right.

The board is based on give and take, 20 posts in 3 years looks like lots o' take and no give. Am I missing merging usernames or something else here?
    Continued Success,

Haiko

The Google-hatesme! Guy
    2006 Winner Lazarus award
    PM Me....
    That clairifies things, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    The board is based on give and take, 20 posts in 3 years looks like lots o' take and no give. Am I missing merging usernames or something else here?

Holy cow, 20 posts is considered "lots of take and no give"?

I'm a newbie here and was wondering why the vast majority of posts are simply inane useless responses with no helpful information.

Now I see.

- Chad

The Google-hatesme! Guy
    PM Me....
    I get it...
    LOL

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by aahh
    LOL

This is why there is no "magic number" of posts....

Participation in this community is important. Lurking is a kind of participation, but participating actively in discussions is more beneficial to all
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The Google-hatesme! Guy
    PM Me....
    Good point
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Participation in this community is important. Lurking is a kind of participation, but participating actively in discussions is more beneficial to all

Good point.

The Google-hatesme! Guy
    PM Me....
    In case you didn't get the point of my dry humor ("lol" and "good point"), requiring a large number of posts will just result in two things:

1) people who are busy (because they know what they are doing) leave

2) people who lots of free time (because they don't know what they are doing) will post useless stuff to get their post count up so they can advertise with their signature.

I'm sure there is good information on this board but it's deeply buried thanks to this policy...

Just my $.02,
    Chad

http and a telephoto
    Chad, you seem to have missed the point. Useless posts don't count towards your "count" to get a sig....

People posting just to get a sig or pm priviledges, what's the point? It seems that if you are doing that, then the pms will be most likely spam and unwelcome. If you need to get in touch with an affiliate manager, most of us have emails and/or instant messenger information in their signatures. So unless you have a need to remain annonymous, you should be able to reach anyone on the board you need to reach until you make enough useful posts to earn a sig and pm-ability

And the "you" I am referring to is any newcomer to the board, not directed at you personally.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    The policy is there so people don't come here to SPAM. I've seen other forums where there is a lot of that, say the affiliate section at Digital Point Forums. Basically a lot of posters just posting there in hopes someone will click on their sigs hoping for some nickels and dimes. Your #2 point fits that place perfectly, check it out and you'll know what I mean. Half the stuff posted there is SPAM.

"I'm sure there is good information on this board but it's deeply buried thanks to this policy..."

No, it's not buried in private messages.

ABW Ambassador
    If they're too busy to post, then they're too busy to use PMs anyway, so it's no loss to them, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by aahh
    In case you didn't get the point of my dry humor ("lol" and "good point"), requiring a large number of posts will just result in two things:

2) people who lots of free time (because they don't know what they are doing) will post useless stuff to get their post count up so they can advertise with their signature.

I'm sure there is good information on this board but it's deeply buried thanks to this policy...

Just my $.02,
    Chad
    Chad,

Simply put if you need to communicate with an AM it is quite obvious how to do that, if your looking to communicate with a particular member post so and they can email you (via the board to protect you) if they wish, however if your looking to PM members ---- people who you don't know and they far from know you, that is spam, ain't no one that damn busy to talk half a second to figure that out.

As for the information that is deeply buried, there is a search function and I will tell you that it does work, shoot if those CA guys could set up that goffle or whatever it's called thingie to search the intermanet and make a buck or two off it, the theory of searching might just catch on. I know I'm a bit optimistic, but someday, one can can hope right?!?!?!?!
    Continued Success,

Haiko

DavidK,

I have banned your account until Haiko or someone else lifts your ban. You have left me no other choice with your multiple nonsense postings that are causing members to send the system report notifications.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    As it was pointed out already, giving PM access at the beginning would only invite spammers to PM you all day long

And to dispel the myth that all the important stuff only happens via PM...

I can't speak for eveyone, but MY PMs fall into one of 4 categories:

1. Poking fun at someone that you don't want to do publically: "Do you believe so-and-so is putting down CJ again! That's all he ever does"

2. Something only remotely related to affiliate marketing: "I see you posted you're going to Miami. Wanna hook up at Disnelyworld on Wednesday"

3. Personal stuff that everyone doesn't need to read. "Thanks for the Tulips and the ballon. I already checked out of the hospital, but the nurses loved 'em" (To the person who sent the tuplips, this counts as my PM)

4. Stuff that is affiliate related, but not worth starting a thread about: "I only need ONE of your millions of products for my niche site. Just letting you know I applied, but don't expect big results"

5. I only PM this to "special" people: "So... what are you wearing?????"

added this one:
    6. Making sure someone you know sees a certain thread "Hey - go to post such-and-such. I merchant is introducing a new weight loss program, and I know you have a site devoted to that" (But if you're a noob, you wouldn't know what sites people have, so having PM priveleges to tell someone about these kinds of posts, would be useless)

Wow Hakio,
    What a spicy bunch of new posters this week. Are we expecting a full moon? LOL!

Anne,

Spicy is definitely the descriptor LOL - it must be something in the water.

-----------

Billy,

5. Levis and a Tshirt and you? ... oops wrong window LOL
    Continued Success,

Haiko

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Anne,

Spicy is definitely the descriptor LOL - it must be something in the water.

-----------

Billy,

5. Levis and a Tshirt and you? ... oops wrong window LOL
    lololololololololololololololol.... sorry, that was too funny....

Special people? lolol...
    Deborah Carney

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread