Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Question Google - Affiliate Network
    As i see it , it's only a matter of time before Google rolls into this business. It wouldn't take much to make Google Adsense conversion tracking into an effective affiliate tracking system.... My money is on Q3 2006......
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

The data mining they would do with that data is likely already covered by a combined aggregate of search, adsense, adwords, and froogle data. I don't think they have much, if anything, to gain by getting anywhere near affiliate marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    As i see it , it's only a matter of time before Google rolls into this business. It wouldn't take much to make Google Adsense conversion tracking into an effective affiliate tracking system.... My money is on Q3 2006......

Why would they need to do AM? :lost: They are milking us already!

US $100 says no AM related activity unless they buy a network and I'll give you the year - 2006.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Agree with Haiko. They ride on top of AM, why do they need to mix down in it?

The day they do get involved, more than they are already, is the day I fold shop.
    Nobody can tell me they don't get paid from BOTH ends. I just wonder who's the biggest player greasing their palms. Google is already a conflict in my interests . . .

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I'd argue that they are in everything else, so why not , it doesn't preclude them from doing any other form of business nor stop people doing Adsense, certainly i think a buy out would be an interesting direction, but not very google. they seem to prefer building rather than buying

Cool Prediction:
    hmmm . . . wonder how'd they do in a hosting business?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The only hosting Google would do would be for a Amazon type Froogle Cybershop e-commerce cart. Base.Google already has the basics in place using their Froogle keyword/product search function. Google already has had it with the click traps and traffic hijacking antics of affiliates over the years. That white noise will not be allowed into the Froogle equation.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    They ride on top of AM, why do they need to mix down in it?
    Ask it this way, and it'll be even more clear: They already make money from one end of AM, so why not try to get even more?

If they get into the network end, not only will they make even more money from affiliates bidding through Google, but they'll also make money from affiliates bidding through Overture and MSN, affilites that rely on SEO, etc.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me. And if they do, I have no doubt that it'll be the fastest growing affiliate network ever. They'll make LinkShare and CJ look like ClixGalore. Imagine tens of thousands of merchants to choose from, good reporting, and tremendous tools.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    they will get involved, there's too much money and tie ins to pass it up.

that said, i agree with H - G could get in so much faster with an acquisition

and i'd say 2006 timing is also right on the head

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I could see them getting involved..... perhaps offering froogle as an outlet for shopping traffic, with google for researchers and 'content' traffic. Froogle could be a pay to play for merchants, no free traffic, and they would pay a small amount of the income received to affiliates who send traffic to froogle.

I think it would take them more than a year to get that done, though. My bet, 2008 for a Froogle based aff program.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You'll see why Froogle will never need the normal affiliate driven traffic and white noise... http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...+Froogle&hl=en

Now compare with Google results http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Froogle is tied to Adwords only in the top sponsor linked box. Anyone wanting to hawk coupons or incentives best pony up for the top 3 positions. There is no provision for listing promotions within Froogle's product creation utility. It's a sales channel ... not an advertising channel... get it! Smart minds at Google will develop Froogle as a trusted brand and with their analytics program invite high conversion or popular merchants into a future Froogle Premier Mall hosted environment similar to Amazon Stores. ( Google takes % as the ONLY affiliate middleman) The high budget and niche merchants then can use Adwords to drive regular Google traffic to those stores, without the affiliate traffic burdened commissions.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    hmmm . . . wonder how'd they do in a hosting business?
    If they did it, they'd do it not worse than Yahoo, I'm positive.

ABW Ambassador
    I bet you're all wrong Here's something you'll see tho, something i predicted years ago and they took a tiny step in that direction, something they'll do that will make them even bigger, Google portal. They have an option to make it more portal like but I think it's just a matter of time. From Internet Retailer, shows more of what i'm saying. See how Google is different from the others:

Primary Reason for choosing most-used search engine

Yahoo
    It returns the best search results - 33%
    I also spend time on the site checking mail, reading news, or other non-search activities - 52%

Google
    It returns the best search results - 68%
    I also spend time on the site checking mail, reading news, or other non-search activities - 4%

MSN
    It returns the best search results - 8%
    I also spend time on the site checking mail, reading news, or other non-search activities - 63%

AOL
    It returns the best search results - 7%
    I also spend time on the site checking mail, reading news, or other non-search activities - 65%

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread