Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How do you fight e-mail spam?
    Please share you're methods of fighting e-mail spam.

Thanks,

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    The delete button and email filters...

"The delete button" sounds like dark ages... What filters have you found to be most efficient?

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    I don't spend my time fighting spam, it would be a never ending battle. Spam will be around as long as the internet is around. Outlook Express filters are enough to filter out unwanted emails.

Learn more about using Outlook Express filters to help with spam:
    http://familyinternet.about.com/cs/e...aemailhelp.htm

From your experience, Chet, what % (even approximately) of spam do Outlook filters help you keep out of your inbox?

I don't use outlook express, I use hotmail and I just put them on my junk folder and they automatically goes there.

Chet is right there is no way to avoid them but you can minimize them by putting the spammers email to your junk folder and just delete all of them when you have time.

I just reported one of the spammer to one of the AM and hope that stop one of em! :-)

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    Chet is right there is no way to avoid them...
    I'd have to disagree here. I've found spam blocking solutions (online based; where they require each sender to verify themselves before their e-mail gets processes) quite efficient (I mean, they've blocked 99%+ spam for me). However, there is a bit of inconvenience that comes with being tied with them... That's why I'm asking...

Geno

Anyone tried Qurb ?

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    I'd have to disagree here. I've found spam blocking solutions (online based; where they require each sender to verify themselves before their e-mail gets processes) quite efficient (I mean, they've blocked 99%+ spam for me). However, there is a bit of inconvenience that comes with being tied with them... That's why I'm asking...

Geno
    One problem ( warning) I have seen happen with this is ...
    It takes a response from the sender .... cool if you are dealing only with real people .... but a lot of domains have been allowed to expire/enter_redemption because automated notices were sent out, these systems asked for confirmation ... but it was never seen by anyone -> Hence ya never get the notice.

Best thing I've seen thus far is SpamAssassin on the server. It is almost disappointing to check email now .... 1,000+/day have disappeared

I was getting hundreds of spams per day, and it was growing rapidly. It's probably closer to 1000 per day now.

I attack the spam in several ways.

First, I added server-side DNSBL blocking. If the sender IP Address is on one of about half a dozen blacklists, it automatically gets bounced before it even gets to me. This blocks about 80-90% of spam for me, and the ones I chose almost never block legitimate mail.

Second, I added server-side virus checking. Every email gets checked for viruses and anything with a virus gets deleted. At one point, I was getting several thousand large virus emails per day and it was taking hours to download my email, just to have my PC-based anti-virus software delete them. (Normally, I would only get a few dozen per day.) Now, I never even see them.

Third, I use Cloudmark's SpamNet. It detects probably close to 95% of the remaining spam. Unfortunately, it has a lot of false positives, too. I try to go through my "Spam" folder at least once a week to find anything that wasn't really spam. Fortunately, the "false positives" are usually newsletters, eBay bid notifications, affiliate newsletters, etc. rather than personal emails or one-off emails from visitors to my sites.

Between all that, I probably see less than a dozen spam emails a day.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I think i might be one of the rare people that doesn't really have a spam problem. I have a few hotmail accounts and a gmail account and i get less than 10 spam emails a day. I figured i would get a bunch of it when i used 1 hotmail account specifically for signing up for merchants newsletters from their site, no spam. I also don't put my email on any sites, tell friends and family not to use my email to send me any free greeting cards and stuff like that. Not an issue for me.

how do you fight spam ???
    do you remeber this.
    http://mosnews.com/news/2005/07/25/spammerdead.shtml
    Find us at shareasale.com 12% commission
    Shareasale Merchant 7191
    PLAZAN SKIN CARE As seen on TV . Used by Jennifer Lopez

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    In my personal websites, I post the e-mail address as a un-clickable image file. This is hassle for some visitors, but if it's important enough for me read, they should go trough with it.

In my company e-mail, we have server-based spam filtering software but I still get aplenty. The only fight-back is delete button, there.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    how do you fight spam ???
    do you remeber this.
    http://mosnews.com/news/2005/07/25/spammerdead.shtml
    Neil,

You're a bad boy:
    Vardan Kushnir, notorious for sending spam to each and every citizen of Russia who appeared to have an e-mail, was found dead in his Moscow apartment on Sunday, Interfax reported Monday. He died after suffering repeated blows to the head.
    I think that not even Geno would agree on that punishment to the spammers!

Sal.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    delete button and Outlook spam blocker reduces my intake by about a third although I do need to check it for mail I wanted. Virus emails go straight to the sh*tcan thanks to NOD32, which catches all of them. And I STILL get hundreds if not thousands a day ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Sounds like most end up coming back to the good ole "Delete" button... Interesting...

I use BoxTrapper on my server... it is email verification software...

Boxtrapper sends out an email for verification the email was sent by a human before it lets the email through... if an email is not verified I hasve the software setup to delete after 3 days.

I do this for all emails except the IPs I have blacklisted those get bounced automatically

this has reduced my email to less then 10 unwanted emails daily

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I use Spam Assassin on my server, and I have adjusted it to be more aggressive at removing spam. My ISP also has spam filters in place that have reduced spam by over 75%.

I add filters to my server for messages that still get through, so little by little I'm getting less and less of it. I have also listed the user agents in my htaccess file to deny them access to my site.

All added up, I've made a huge dent in the amount of spam I get this year. It still requires some time to deal with it, but I suppose anything you do to stop spam requires some time on your part.

Andy

Second praise to SpamAssassin in this thread. Must be worth trying... Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I am sure this thread will be found helpful by many.

Geno

I use Outlook 2003. The junk mail filters work better than on previous versions of Outlook.

I also use rules to automatically transfer emails to specific folders (i.e. CJ e-mails go into the "CJ" folder; e-mails from my daughter go into the "Kim" folder). There is not usually much left in my inbox - only a couple of messages at most that would be from someone new.

The spam filter puts what it thinks is spam into a "Junk Mail" folder, which I can quickly review whenever I have time (it's rare, but sometimes an e-mail gets in there that shouldn't have), then I permantly delete them without opening them.

Some things to note about Outlook:

As I understand it, if you ever use the "Out of Office Assistant," it sends back an e-mail to some of the spammers which lets them know you have a live e-mail address. Therefore, they keep sending even more junk to that address.

Also, if you use Outlook, go into your tracking options and make sure it is set up to never send a read receipt. This is an option that allows senders to receive a notice when you've actually read the e-mail they sent you.

I like Feox, it is a nice plugin for Outlook and Outlook Express, quite simple and effective

I use a company called ControlScan. I don't have a problem at all

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by stephany
    I use a company called ControlScan. I don't have a problem at all
    *cough* spam

SpamAssassin on the server

Has cut my spam back by about 90%...
    Yes it is worth looking into..!

Internet Cowboy
    I never type my email address on a blog or anywhere where it can be spidered. I use a disposable yahoo email for shopping. I have a separate disposable email address for domain registrations.
    On my sites, where I have to display an email address, I do it with a jpg file.

I get very little spam to the real email address I use daily.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast