http and a telephoto
    Are merchants stupid or just plain crazy?
    This time of year merchants should NOT be changing their link structures and urls! I have received emails from several merchants just this week that state that old links will not work and links need to be updated!!!! This is nuts. Smart affiliates updated and set their sites for Q4 in September! Changing tracking NOW means that work was for naught. And that means those merchants that are messing around are going to get dumped.

I won't tolerate merchants that mess with feeds and linking structure in Novemeber. Because they are either stupid or trying to not pay for my traffic. At the very least, all existing links should be redirected to the old link structure for several months!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Yes, I got an email from a sporting goods merchant at CJ (not BSC, they know better) that they had changed their categories. And they tried to make me feel good in the email by saying there should not be any more changes for at least two weeks.

How about two months when Q4 is over!!!!

Yeah, Debbie, some just do not have a clue.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I've never seen as many merchants changing networks as I have in the past couple months. It's ridiculous.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Well, sometimes there have been some good reasons for that (as some unnamed networks have acted pretty poorly this year), but still the time is bad. The problem lies in the date that they signed up and the end of their yearly contract. I understand their need to get out of a certian network, but it would certainly be better for us if they could stradle two networks for a period of time, giving us time to change.

Suggestion to Merchants. If you are considering changing networks, get to work on it before your contract expires and give us a few months of overlap. For some of us it is difficult to drop our current projects to save our earning links at your site on a new network.

Thanks for bringing this up, Michael.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

http and a telephoto
    Actually the merchants I am referring to aren't even jumping ship to other networks! They are just plain changing links and urls for other reasons. New tracking codes or whatever. Nothing that couldn't have waited!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

same here.
    some people never learn . . . .

heisje

Affiliate Manager
    As a merchant myself I wouldnt understand the reasoning behind that unless Q4 is not their big quarter???

We do a majority of our sales in Q1. Vitamins and supplements don't compete well with electronics and other gifts during the holiday.

Could also have been the network forcing the change upon them.

ABW Ambassador
    Stupid American Blinds And Wallpaper. Have to update your links or they won't track.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Actually the merchants I am referring to aren't even jumping ship to other networks! They are just plain changing links and urls for other reasons. New tracking codes or whatever. Nothing that couldn't have waited!!!!
    The thing I think that's even worse than having to change out all links is never being told by the merchant that they were intending to do it. I look at it all as a shady tactic . . . there are many reasons I don't trust most merchants . . . how did you discover you had to make the changes? I'm sure your links still resolve to their main page, and perhaps even without benefit of compensation in your pocketbook.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Stupid American Blinds And Wallpaper. Have to update your links or they won't track.
    They're not so stupid! They plain and simply don't want to pay you over the holidays and they are gambling that a whole lot of links don't get changed and that they get those sales for free.

That's why they did it.

Just another way of being a parasite!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Sandra, maybe this is a good example of the proper time to do a justice spell?
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

I hate it, period! any time of the year, but yes, especially NOW! This issue has got to be the number one pain in the rear other than my commissions not getting credited to me!
    [B][COLOR=Red]I look forward to Google's demise[/COLOR][/B]
    Look who is suing Google - [URL=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=google+gets+sued]click here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=google+gets+sued&FORM=MSNH&srch_type=0]here[/URL] and [URL=http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=google+gets+sued&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8]here[/URL]

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread