Sandbox
    I don't know if this the right place for this- it's a little technical but mostly a chat thing.

I am coming to this from an SEO standpoint and as such am pretty familiar with G's aging delay/sandbox/call it what you want, and with the other theoretically/potentially possible delays in other SE's. I've been looking through some logs from an affiliate site - 10,000 visitors by way of 9,500 search phrases; none very competitive, all terribly specific. So, my question is this: do you folks have any experience with launching new domains as affiliates in contrast to lauching new sites that target less specific niches - and the resulting experience with ranking/traffic/etc. Basically, does a twenty thousand page brand new affiliate site do ok for things like "Acme Super Zxr9y scooter horn" but poorly for "kid's toys" - provided the site is rich in content, original, etc. Or is there an appreciable delay for even the most specific terms. By delay, I mean that an effectively optimized site won't rank for no other reason than age. I am not talking about the reputation, better links, etc that come with age and established sites - I wonder only about the specific filter that's triggered only by age.

Nobody might feel like sharing. I understand that. I am trying to set reasonable expectations for the owner of new site, and frankly I can't give a good answer from my experience.

Lightbulb
    I'm more concerned with something even more basic than that: whether Google "lists" your pages or "indexes" them.

I'm watching the number of pages in certain sites change constantly in google's eyes as to being indexed (showing some copy--obviously able to report key words) or just listed (google result shows no copy from site.)

That's not really unrelated. I assume you're talking about either only the title - not the fully indexed and cached page - or supplemental results. Either way, if G knows about the page and chooses not the fully index or present it, it typically is indication that they don't consider it very important. If it has a long, sloppy URL and it's spitting content found elsewhere, and is not prominently featured by your site's navigation, then Google isn't going to spend a lot of time thinking about it. If it shows up in site:mysite.com search then it is indexed (your distinction makes sense to a person, but not to the algo). Whether that does you any good is a horse of an entirely different color. That depends on the page. If they show it, they've indexed it. Beyond that, it's up to their estimation of the quality of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by twoseven
    That's not really unrelated. I assume you're talking about either only the title - not the fully indexed and cached page - or supplemental results. Either way, if G knows about the page and chooses not the fully index or present it, it typically is indication that they don't consider it very important. If it has a long, sloppy URL and it's spitting content found elsewhere, and is not prominently featured by your site's navigation, then Google isn't going to spend a lot of time thinking about it. If it shows up in site:mysite.com search then it is indexed (your distinction makes sense to a person, but not to the algo). Whether that does you any good is a horse of an entirely different color. That depends on the page. If they show it, they've indexed it. Beyond that, it's up to their estimation of the quality of the page.
    I do think there is a lot of difference between listing and indexing, and this has nothing to do with supplemental results, those being usually 404s if I read the grapevine right.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Some non-404'd pages are marked "supplemental," too, but I don't know the percentage of live pages vs. dead ones...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I have a large datafeed site with extras that was indexed and listed in search results with Google and after Jagger is now indexed but not listed in searches. My pr is 5 and I still have 26000 pages when I do site: none of the results are supplimental BUT there is only the first line of the page and page title where as before I believe Google included more text in the description.(?)

MSN and Yahoo are loving it now although for broader terms and not as focused as G but such is life!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    BUT there is only the first line of the page and page title
    I believe where these appear the search engine has no data held with which to send folks to that page. Not a happy thought; I have a potential 30K-page site for which Google shows 814 pages and shows data for about four of them. Rats.

Quote Originally Posted by twoseven
    Snip ... I am not talking about the reputation, better links, etc that come with age and established sites - I wonder only about the specific filter that's triggered only by age. ...
    I am seeing the same thing over and over. I submit my site to Google. Googlebot shows up and indexes one page and it appears in the index. Then, some time later, Googlebot comes back and indexes the entire site.

These pages end up somewhere on page 28-30 of the search results. Then, six months to a year later they move up anywhere from page 1 to page 10 of the results. I personally don't believe that Google is "testing" these pages with users, because who looks on page 30? Maybe they are just seeing if the site is still online before putting it in the "real" results?

One positive thing to come out of this... if you want to see new site releases start on page 28...

Quote Originally Posted by liquiddog
    Then, six months to a year later they move up anywhere from page 1 to page 10 of the results.
    With good backlinks and frequent updates, you can cut that time period down considerably.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

I believe where these appear the search engine has no data held with which to send folks to that page. Not a happy thought; I have a potential 30K-page site for which Google shows 814 pages and shows data for about four of them. Rats.
    Yeah the site I referenced above is now being slowly delisted it seems about 100 pages a day or so are being lost when I use the Google api to check.

That site has needed a major overhaul for awhile now. It doesn't have unique page titles and long a** urls, slow page loads, and an outdated bloated cms code...but it was doing so well I didn't want to mess with it.

We'll see how long MSN is liking it before I give it a total overhaul.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread