Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Rude Merchant Practices
    Send out an email asking the affiliate why they're not performing as well as the previous year. Then, when affiliate replies explaining the situation and asks for your input on how to improve performance...IGNORE THEM!

Send email to affiliate accusing them of parasitic practices without properly researching the issue first. (Oops...guess that was the "other" affiliate who overwrote *my* cookie, wasn't it?)

Send invitation to join your program but when affiliate applies...REJECT THEM!

Never approve or disapprove affiliate's application. Just let that darn application sit in the queue forever.

Send an email every single damn day promoting your program, regardless of whether there's anything newsworthy to report.

When affiliates complain that tracking isn't working properly slyly suggest they're having a mass hallucination.

Ignore your affiliates' private emails but when they complain publicly cry foul.

Publicly accuse affiliates of being idiots and simpletons. Can you FEEL the LOVE?

Affiliate Manager
    When they reject you and give you a reason of "because your site is affiliate marketing related."

ah?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Just showed my ars/ignorance on this one. Haiko was kind enough to remove the thread because I felt a legitimate potential excuse ( honest mistake) existed ... it wasn't claimed but in retro, I should have inquired first.
    I can see where folks will make "kinda" bulk solitations ( based on certain criteria) in promoting their stuff, even communicate with you "outside" the medium and then not "recognize" you "inside" the approval process.
    It does not change what happened and certainly does not negate the emotions of the incident but .... there does exist the possibility of confusion.
    Benefit of doubt is what we all expect before getting beat up. I jumped the gun on this issue recently and felt ( still feel) like crap about it ....
    Point being; They should be more careful and we ( at least I) should ask more questions

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I leave my affiliates alone, unless they ask for help or creative suggestions. They all produce sales at an average 1/20 clip and get paid within days of asking once they reach 25.00. Been that way for 6 years and I have had ZERO applications in y-2005. So I got some legit Super Affiliates pushing the products without paying them anything more then PPCSE fees or Store sales fees (Amazon/Yahoo). I'll like to drive more affiliate traffic to the merchant, but it's hard for an Honest merchant and AM to find any affiliates at ABW who are actually content to promote a merchant, who doesn't offer the normal coupons and direct to merchant PPCSE.

Therefore I devise ways to increase the merchant's gross sales by 200% every year for 5 years straight. We both had a laugh today when MSN tried to pitch us on spending $10-20,000/month to advertise on their sites. All we wanted, on the initial inquiry, was to get in their Adwords clone program and build out a MSN shopping storefront. The idiot pitchman had no idea how to do just that, as he browsed with us the MSN site's sections on advertising. I told them for $10,000 I could design some pages for Bill Gates to achieve that purpose...

I've come to the conclusion after 15,000 posts that ABWers do not want any legit restrictions on how they operate. They do want to impose them on their competitors. Some AM's do make some foolish mistakes as mentioned above. Then they do have to fight off the shanky affiliates trying to join from sending out mass recruitment spamms and over hyping their program's abilities. I laugh when some affiliate complains they sent 200 clicks to some over hyped merchant without a sale, and hear the chorus of ABWers saying that # of clicks isn't representative. of anything. It is representative of a merchant who can't, or won't, accept responsibility to close targeted traffic. It is representative of a merchant who could give a hoot about their affiliate conversion ratio.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

no wonder a lot of affiliates turn away from affiliate marketing, with experiences like that. my biggest erk with merchants is just the lack of ability to pay. or pay on time. grrr.

That pisses me off the most. I had one where I asked why, it was because I didn't have a privacy policy at the time and something else I can't remember about. So I went and jumped through the hoops just to be rejected.

If I get rejected it's usually because I live in the UK, so I use a .co.uk domain for emails - and still the idiots don't see it.

Sometimes I'm tempted to place an order just to become the customer from hell and eventually claim my money back - er sorry I didn't notice, it was just one of a bulk order I placed.

ABW Ambassador
    When they say to contact them if you want help with something or there's anything you need, and then if you do contact them about something, they ignore the email - or don't respond when leaving a voicemail on the # they've provided.

It's not only rude, it undermines their credibility and lowers the trust factor.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    One of the issues could be the information an affiliate gives when they apply to a program. For merchants who have a high profile and thus lots of applications, it is hard for us to determine the validity of an app especially if the information doesn't seem to match up.

For instance, I had a gentleman reply to me the other day asking why he was rejected. In his application he had put an AOL email account. The email account was not referenced anywhere on the site he was representing, nor was his name. Also the site he listed was an LLC but in his application he applied for payment as an Individual.

I did reply to him and informed him that we would be happy to accept the site, but need to ascertain his authority to represent that site.

You won’t believe how many people I see apply claiming they represent Travelocity or The New York Times in their application with emails like webmasternewyorktimes.com@yahoo.com (for example).
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

ABW Ambassador
    In his application he had put an AOL email account. The email account was not referenced anywhere on the site he was representing, nor was his name.
    Angel, here's how it is.

Point 1: You say "the site he was representing" but chances are any given individual can have more than one site, sometimes several, that cover a number of niches, with each site being niche specific.

It makes perfect sense to use an ISP email account and NOT one that's domain specific - for any number of reasons, one of them being that merchants can get confused (like they do at Performics with their lousy system), and the most important being that the ISP email is the one that's often used as the business account with the most long term stability.

Point 2: Why would an ISP email account appear on an affiliate site? It can be a *very* foolish thing to put your name and ISP email account on your websites - in fact, unless there's a very specific reason to (very unusual) it can border on sheer stupidity to do so.

For merchants who have a high profile and thus lots of applications, it is hard for us to determine the validity of an app especially if the information doesn't seem to match up.
    Just a minor point of clarification, but a merchant being "high profile" doesn't necessarily do an affiliate any good. Example: Lillian Vernon could be considered a high profile merchant but their practices are less than desirable from an affiliate's viewpoint. Walmart is as high profile as a company can get, and all over their site they're encouraging people to shop at their stores - not very affiliate friendly, I think most of us would agree.

And all it really takes for an affiliate site to become "high profile" from its competitors' POV is to turn up at the search engines for some sought_after search terms - hence the folly of overtly identifying the owner.

If necessary, I can spell out some of the specific reasons in detail, as can most of us here.
    Last edited by webworker; November 18th, 2005 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Angel, here's how it is.

Point 1: You say "the site he was representing" but chances are any given individual can have more than one site, sometimes several, that cover a number of niches, with each site being niche specific.

It makes perfect sense to use an ISP email account and NOT one that's domain specific - for any number of reasons, one of them being that merchants can get confused (like they do at Performics with their lousy system), and the most important being that the ISP email is the one that's often used as the business account with the most long term stability.

Point 2: Why would an ISP email account appear on an affiliate site? It can be a *very* foolish thing to put your name and ISP email account on your websites - in fact, unless there's a very specific reason to (very unusual) it can border on sheer stupidity to do so.

Well, I hear you on the spam concern. It does seem to be fairly simple to designate an account just for spam that still references the ISP.

However, the non domain specific email was not the only red flag, the other was the billing, which should have been an LLC but really was to an individual.

Either way I think the main thing is following up in order to clarify things. If a merchant has mistakenly rejected you, with a simple email query any good merchant will attempt to remedy the situation.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

ABW Ambassador
    Angel, not putting the ISP email on affiliate sites has less to do with spam email than several other factors - there's an identification issue involved.

with a simple email query any good merchant will attempt to remedy the situation
    Agreed, but not all are good merchants and not all will reply. Besides, not all merchants provide contact information so it's not always possible to make any contact with them at all.

That's why this thread is about rude merchants.
    Last edited by webworker; November 18th, 2005 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onlineshoes MGR
    If a merchant has mistakenly rejected you, with a simple email query any good merchant will attempt to remedy the situation.
    That's true and most that I've been auto rejected by will over-ride the decision after an email. BUT - if they invite me, it's up to them to find out the bleedin' obvious first, not to do so is downright rude - there's no excuse.

That's why this thread is about rude merchants.
    Touché
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

It really ticks me off when a merchant sells things of interest to my market like health care products but doesn't want me selling them to witches and Pagans.

Good grief they post interminably about that sort of thing on Pagan forums. I know there is a market.

But, NOOOOOOO we can't sell to witches. Let them die and rot. They can't have our health care products!!!!

JERKS!!!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    ........but doesn't want me selling them to witches and Pagans.
    I'm genuinely shocked by that SSanf - it's bizarre.

Yes, it IS bizarre.

But, either they are afraid God will get them for doing business with witches. Or, they don't want to support witchcraft by letting us make a living. Or, they are afraid someone of another religion will see their ad on my site and it will hurt their reputation among people of another religion. Or, some other craziness that I can't comprehend.

Can you believe that I have been turned down by a merchant who has incense as one of their main products???

Does anyone know a witch who DOES NOT have several hundred sticks of incense around for contingencies?

How crazy is not selling incense to witches!

And, what these fools don't know is that I also have over 40 other sites including two mega malls.

Just stupid, stupid, stupid!

But tell you what. If they turn down my witch related sites, I will be damned if they get on any other site of mine! They can take their incense and shove it where the sun don't shine!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

My personal favorite is when they tout "great converting banners" before anybody has so much as put a link up for them.

Kinda like the roast beef and pizza shops that put "famous" on their sign before they even open up for business.

It really ticks me off when a merchant sells things of interest to my market like health care products but doesn't want me selling them to witches and Pagans
    Gotta wonder where they'd be if the witches had not introduced soap and the concept of regular bathing to Western culture.

Wonder where they'd be if witches hadn't midwifed most of their ancesters and been the repositories of the healing knowledge which we are still trying to preserve!

Not sell healing products to witches, indeed!

What better market? Idiots!

The Pagan forum that I support has 2,785 threads with 40,784 posts on the subject of health and beauty. And, that is just one Pagan forum!

But, this idiot merchant doesn't want his related products in a witch store.

I think they really needed a midwife because the doctor must have dropped them on their head!
    Last edited by SSanf; November 18th, 2005 at 11:55 PM.

But, NOOOOOOO we can't sell to witches. Let them die and rot. They can't have our health care products!!!! JERKS!!!!
    While, I do not agree with discriminating a website because of the visitors' religion, I have to say above is an overstatement. Anybody, be it a witch, a muslim, a cataholic, a jewish, or whatever, can freely purchase almost anything they want, espcially online. Nobody is "let to die or to rot."

Witches
    Yes, it IS bizarre.

But, either they are afraid God will get them for doing business with witches. Or, they don't want to support witchcraft by letting us make a living. Or, they are afraid someone of another religion will see their ad on my site and it will hurt their reputation among people of another religion. Or, some other craziness that I can't comprehend.

Can you believe that I have been turned down by a merchant who has incense as one of their main products???

Does anyone know a witch who DOES NOT have several hundred sticks of incense around for contingencies?

How crazy is not selling incense to witches!

And, what these fools don't know is that I also have over 40 other sites including two mega malls.

Just stupid, stupid, stupid!

But tell you what. If they turn down my witch related sites, I will be damned if they get on any other site of mine! They can take their incense and shove it where the sun don't shine!
    When i first met my wife, she claimed their were withxhes in ireland, I took that with a grain of salt, until I made my first trip there,saw some of the weirdest things in my, one was a cottage painted blue, sitting in the middle of a big highway,the people said scientists,geologists,never could explian, a lot of money was offered to remove it, no takers, they were afraid of the "little people" that lived there, then the ring of Kerry, and Stonehenge, and lot's more.I bought a book on the myths and legends of Ireland, and learned a lot.it really is a mystic isle, with the third oldest language, and how St.Brennan found his way across the atlantic in a small boats,landed in what he named Nova Scotia, or new scotland, when the 2 countries were still one,called Scotia.About 500 years later,Columbus sailed to galway to research his journals.
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

ABW Ambassador
    OK, since this thread is about rude merchants, coming up with some more ideas - it's rude when you call a merchant on your own nickel, it's lunch time, they're not in and you tell them in the voicemail message you need something simple and easily doable to convert better for THEM and say what it is, you leave your name and number and they don't call back. And they don't do that simple little thing that would help you send them more sales

Off this thread, since it pops up in my mail, I keep hoping someone there will really
    OK, since this thread is about rude merchants, coming up with some more ideas - it's rude when you call a merchant on your own nickel, it's lunch time, they're not in and you tell them in the voicemail message you need something simple and easily doable to convert better for THEM and say what it is, you leave your name and number and they don't call back. And they don't do that simple little thing that would help you send them more sales
    i AM TIRED OF READING ALL OF THIS, SINCE THESE THREADS KEEP POPPING UP,IN MY EMAIL, I KEEP HOPING SOMEONE WILL REALLY FIX THINGS, THESE ARE CAPS.OK, OK,BS IS STILL SMELLY,NOT SMILEY.WHERE IS SANDY BUTTHEAD, SHE KNOWS.

Have another little drinky,
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

I don't know why you have e-mail in your mail boxes from threads. I think you can just opt to read it on ABW like I do.

JJ is probably subscribed to the thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast