ABW Ambassador
    When content is a conversion killer
    I put some "content" (article type text) on a few pages on some sites that had fairly decent rankings and traffic for those particular pages. Not that the content did anything for rankings, in one case a top 3 *choice* search phrase dropped out of the visible world - it butchered the density and totally took it off the sweet spot for that engine.

The CTR rate for merchants is sickly on those pages, consequently no sales and no $. BUT what I have noticed on some of those pages the CTR for AdSense has sky-rocketed. Why? The people did not do those searches at the engines and click on my page to read - they're out looking to buy STUFF. And the Adsense adverts were ads selling stuff - so they left my page and went where they figured they could BUY the STUFF they wanted.

Lesson learned - if I have spare time to spend writing "content" I'll put it in an "articles" section - and stop wasting my visitors time and mine. On the SALES pages I'll put what my visitors are looking for - links to merchants who sell the stuff they want.

LOL!!

And, this surprises you because.....

That's what Leader and others have been telling everyone all along.

It sure sucks working for penny clicks, don't it?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

thanks for the confirmation!
    good to know the "Leader School" approach works for you too . . .

heisje

ABW Ambassador
    What really sparked this epiphany was a $300 sale this week from one of 3 pages for a certain type of product line on one of my sites that's been getting modest but steady, targeted traffic for months.

I hunted down which link the sale came through, and it was pathetic - the poor dear must have been struggling wading through all that wordiness to be able to find that one link at the bottom of a loooong content page with several loooong paragraphs.

I'll never go with straight feeds (which I don't know how to use yet) or eliminate using original text altogether, in merchant descriptions and at least an introductory paragraph for most pages at the beginning, even if it's short, but too much of an otherwise good thing (content) isn't in the best interests of visitors - or the merchants, and especially me.

Now I'm kicking myself - those pages were put up and I never gave them another thought until finally a sale came through, I went looking and the lights went on.

Incidentally, across the board there's been a good bookmark rate (calls for favicon.ico) - but now that I think of it, it's never been on any of those pages, just product sales pages. Seeing bookmarking happen is where I got clued in on reality - that people actually do bookmark affiliate sites.

on some of our "stuff" sites with medium traffic, in exceptional months, bookmark rate has exceeded 40% (!!) of unique visitors.

a pleasant surprise, no doubt, but with little effect on immediate sales (another kind of surprise!).

heisje

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by heisje

on some of our "stuff" sites with medium traffic, in exceptional months, bookmark rate has exceeded 40% (!!) of unique visitors.

a pleasant surprise, no doubt, but with little effect on immediate sales (another kind of surprise!).

heisje

ah, but when they return . . .

Herb: Don't forget about putting strong call to action affiliate text links in your content. There's a strong chance that your readers might follow that before their eyes wander over to the Penny Arcade.

If it looks like part of the article, in a readers mind, it is part of the article.

errr.... Herb didn't start this, webworker did. Nonetheless Herb, feel free to read my post...
    Last edited by Noth; November 19th, 2005 at 12:50 PM. Reason: I addressed the wrong person...

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Wait wait wait, its not the content its the adsense and your product placement. Remove the adsense and put your product where the adsense used to be and they they'll click on your product instead of the adsense and you'll make sales. Why give them a choice of your products and adsense.

The point is, you have to decide what you are trying to sell, your products or adsense clicks. Make up your mind and then design your page accordingly.

Also, what was the original intent of putting the new content on a page that was selling to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    Also, what was the original intent of putting the new content on a page that was selling to begin with?
    This is the crux of the matter here. Don't put content on well-placed, converting pages just for contents sake. That's silly.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Maybe this will help shed some light on this subject:

I have a content site and have started building "sales" pages that I think (instinct ...) my visitors will like/buy from. I link these sales pages to content where it matches and these pages are converting. Yesssssssssss ... so I think if one has content pages and a "targeted" audience, building sales pages targeted to that audience can work very well. The content generates traffic, then lead the visitor to your sales pages with products they could buy that works with the content. Does this make sense? It's working for me.

If you have a sales page that is ranking and converting, adding content seems like messing with perfection ... 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread