Question SE Listings.
    When I search out a phrase on MSN I am first out of 20,000,000 and that changes between first and third. Using the same phrase in Google or Yahoo I don't appear no where. How do these SE's differ and how do they list sites. I that it was totally keywords.

ABW Ambassador
    Different SE's, different algos.

So what SE gives you the most correct,relievent and true search?

ABW Ambassador
    Depends on who you ask. I posted something in another thread that people think Google provides the most relevant results, was an article in Internet Retailer. It was pointed out they use the other SE's not so much for their results but because they were already there doing other stuff, like checking email and other non related search activity, i'm talking about MSN, Yahoo, AOL. But if you started a thread here on what SE provides the best results you'll having people casting votes for each one. Which one do you think provides the best results? I still use Google mainly because i have the toolbar and it's easy, i think their results have been better in the past tho. But i still use Google. Reminds me of when Coke came out with New Coke and in blind taste test studies with Coke users they actually preferred the taste of the New Coke over the original. But when they made the switch it was quite an uproar. They wanted the original Coke back even tho the new Coke tasted better. People are tied and get comfortable with their brands. Same thing with Google. Little off topic tangent

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I have sites that google loves - but yahoo refuses to admit even exist!

And vice-a-versa

Been that way forever

I use to fret over it, now I just accept it

ABW Ambassador
    totally keywords
    Most of it is keywords (most, but not 100%), but taking Google for example, there are over 100 factors that go into the algo for ranking.

Usually if someone's ranking at MSN but not Google, unless it's a pretty new site chances are they're ranking mostly based on site-wide and on-page factors. If someone is ranking with Google and not MSN, chances are a lot of the weight is coming from inbound links (and the factors associated with the links). Yahoo is a different story, at this point it's anyone's guess, AFAIC.

Relevancy isn't really an issue for marketers, the best engine is the one that sends the most targeted traffic in that respect. Personal preferences aside, traffic and conversion are what the dollars and cents add up from.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread