Outsourced Program Manager
    Fun Family Ideas
    I get my daughter every weekend, so I am always looking for fun stuff to do. Movies get old, and you can't really bond, so I try to keep those to a minimum.

A friend of mine recommended that I look at my local cities' websites to see if they are putting on anything and I found some pretty cool stuff!

For example, tomorrow there is a festival in a town about 30 minutes away that has a train ride for the kids. Yesterday, I went to a free outdoor movie showing (she didn't come, but it was fun for me). In a couple weeks, my city is having a festival that I would not have otherwise known about.

This is good for y'all in two ways:

1. If you have a "local" website, this is good, useful content.
    2. Go enjoy it yourselves!

We like that zoo that's not too far from you...not too big & they have a neat mini-train ride operating some dates. Last time we took the auto-train down from DC, we spent a few hours there to unwind and stretch our legs before the drive over to the west coast.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by infoTim
    We like that zoo that's not too far from you...not too big & they have a neat mini-train ride operating some dates. Last time we took the auto-train down from DC, we spent a few hours there to unwind and stretch our legs before the drive over to the west coast.
    Tim,
    The Sanford Zoo? I didn't know they had a little train. Aecha (my daughter) loves trains, so I am really excited to bring her tomorrow.

All,
    I love these types of things, I'm really excited about finding out about these sites. If anybody has any additional suggestions, feel free to post!

Yeah, the one in Sanford! They just got done with a lot of renovations too, when we were there last year.

My son loves trains too. Some days on "Dad's Preschool Funhouse" I would take him over to the airport in Tampa and we'd park in the long term lot and ride the automated parking shuttle trains and have lunch and go on top of the garage and watch the air traffic takeoff and land. Cheap fun.

Geocaching is a lot of fun for kids too. Good bonding activity, fun "treasure hunt", and you get to find some neat places.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Letterboxing is getting big I hear...similar to geocaching I think. Great info at http://www.letterboxing.org

Zoos, museums (especially if they have areas for kids), parks, sporting events, programs at the library or community center, fishing, bowling, and church events are a few things that come to mind.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I guess I did some stuff that was cheap and good bonding when I was a kid. My Dad use to take me to the airport to watch the planes take off and land. My favorite was the racetrack where I use to pet the horses. Thinking about it now maybe thats why I bet on them lol. It wasn't so cheap after all lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Don't spread this around... but

the last couple months we've been going to the hobby store and doing crafts together

could be paint-by-number
    a puzzle
    a model plane

went to borders books and bought one of those volcanos you make yourself and explode with baking soda

whatever the activity, it's 2 hours of talking and bonding together

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I do NOT recommend fishing as a bonding event.

We tried it about a month or so ago... and the first hour was

"I'm not touching the worm"

"Well I'm not touching it either"

So I bought some bread as bait

and the next hour was

"I'm not takin' the fish off the hooK

"Well I'm not touching it"

You HAD to see me and Jesse trying to get a fish off the hook without actually touching the fish!!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Educational: zoos, museums, nature centers. Call ahead and ask if they have programs for kids. Ask if they have hands-on activities for the kids.

Fun: miniature golf, bowling, ice skating, roller skating, horseback riding, sledding, canoeing. Anything where you can be goofy and loud.

Creative: Craft and pottery shops very often have one or two hour programs on weekends where you can paint pottery (which they will fire for you), do a craft project, learn to crochet or knit.

And of course there are always concerts, plays, dance performances, art exhibits, hiking trails, garden shows, dog shows, historical walking tours, factory tours, historical places tours.

Have you ever gone to a beach in winter? It's a great time of year to find rocks and shells and you'll pretty much have the place to yourself. Dress warmly!

Your local newspaper will have a listing of local events and activities. They usually publish that on a Thursday or Friday.

Worms
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay

and the next hour was

You HAD to see me and Jesse trying to get a fish off the hook without actually touching the fish!!

The odd thing is everytime I took my grand daughter fishing,she caught hem, and giant crabs, but the only fish she counted as real, was when she did everything, said the worms, which are cleaner than most things, tickled her hand.Most times,fishing in the ocean, or rivers,lures worked best.
    Just a jolly reply Haven't seen her since she was seven,but I have the photo,with her standing by a BBq ready to cook it, we convinced her returning it to the water,and wait until it grew to 10 pounds.
    JJ
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

hiking trails.. used to really look forward to small hiking trips as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay

and the next hour was

If you're that squeamish with a worm and a fish, you definitely don't want to take Jesse deer hunting on ElbowCreek's Family Woods. Besides, I hear the deer stand has been destroyed.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Some other ideas: cooking, board games, swimming, hiking, camping.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Oh, sweet. I want to have kids and bond with them, too. (I am a single man!)

[B]All great ideas,we don't have a zoo here in NJ"s boondocks, but when I still lived in the world by the Hudson, Central park had a small one,Bear Mountain,but they were all loked and caged up>When the new Boronx zoo opened, they had the animals running wild,pools for Polar bears,etc, and the aquarium in Coney Island had whales swimming with dolphins, and large aquarium you had to go down one flight to she sharks, and all the other fish swimming together, the biggest hit for all, was the electic eel,every half hour, an attendant came, poked it with a stick, and the lights and meters all light up.
    Great place, if you are in NYC, only go in the daytime, with a small army.
    Jj
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Even Einstein read comic books to relax[/FONT] :clap:

For those of you in Central Florida, I stumbled across this in my searches:

http://inlandlakesrailway.com/index.shtml?santa

Santa + a train ride = Daddy is a hero.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile Fun things for little girls and their Daddies
    Hey Michael,

I didn't know you were a Daddy!

Here's my $0.02.

-Check to see if your city has a 'kids guide' (I'm sure they do) - here in Toronto we have a "purple pages" released each year with coupons and all sorts of cool things for kids to do you may never have thought of.

-I used to love the simple things in life when I spent time with my dad as a kid... between ages of like, 3-9, my Dad used to take me on nature walks through gardens, parks, ravines, etc. and just talk to me about all kinds of things. He'd often pack a picnic lunch for us which was always really neat and I always had a blast, just cuz it was just me and my Daddy!

-Browse Pet stores!

-Browse Toy Stores!

-Daddy also used to take me to a book store every week - it was his 'treat' for me...I got a new book every single time and as a result I learned to LOVE to read at an early age. Was fun when we went to the library too... My Dad is a great storyteller.

-Community theatre (kids plays, musicals, stories told by professional storytellers, interactive performances, etc.)

I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by RugmanAM
    Hey Michael,

I didn't know you were a Daddy!
    Really? Even at the Las Vegas Party? She's usually all I talk about.

Here's a pic of my beautiful little girl (dance class)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyClickTravel
    Really? Even at the Las Vegas Party? She's usually all I talk about.

Here's a pic of my beautiful little girl (dance class)
    What a sweetie! She's beautiful.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    WOW - if she ain't Daddy's girl, I don't know what is! She is the spitting image of you... err... only... a girl of course... and much younger... prettier!!! haha (sorry it's true!). Seriously though - she's adorable (you knew that, I'm sure)!

Speaking of pictures... grrrr... I'd lose my head if it weren't attached I swear!

I'll get those pictures to you... eventually! (place your bets, folks...)

Maybe just staying home and playing kids games. We had Sunday night as our "family time" and played whatever games our kids wanted to play. My son is 23 now and was still bringing his girlfriend to family time to play with us. My daughter now has a serious boyfriend so the family time has dropped off for now since "he" is over here almost every night and not much for games. I don't think it much matters what you're doing as long as you're together. Ask her and see what she wants to do.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread