ABW Ambassador
    Sacramento, CA
    Adsense Site Targeting
    Google now has on all Adsense accounts, subscribed by default, the option for potential advertisers to target their ads to your site by providing a link on the ads themselves.

For myself, I am pretty upset about this. Not only will most people not realize this is turned on by default, but Google is trying to compete w/ me for my own in-house advertisers. Anyone who offers their own CPM or flat rate advertising options on their site stands to lose revenue by having to share a % w/ google when you'd normally get 100%. Advertisers can also miss out on whatever benefits you provide with your in-house options. So really, the only party to win in this situation is Google.

The only way I'd consider turning this back on is if I got a finder's fee for bringing business to Google, got a greater percentage of the revenue, have the ability to subscribe on a site by site basis, and have the option to customize the landing page to each of my sites.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't even noticed. You are absolutely right, if people are bidding for my site then they might as well pay me directly.

ABW Ambassador
    Los Angeles
    I've opted out, just gonna enjoy hearing all the whining before I even think about it.

Very good points, CP - it's a lead generation program with no compensation, and not even any perks. Besides, it could divert traffic that's potential shoppers. If someone's out to buy shoes and we have a page about shoes, if they're a sock merchant instead of buying our shoes or clicking on Adsense targeted for shoes, they'll click for info on signing up for their sock company. Lost sale, no Adsense click - lead generated for Google.

Nope - no tickee, no laundry.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread