Affiliate-o-matic: Super Thin?
    What do you guys think of this software?

affiliate-o-matic.com

They offer a free version (with one of their banners rotated in per ten visits) and the interface is very easy to use.

Will this create tons of new "thin affiliates" and cause Google to clamp down even harder on this software?

I'm thinking of getting the paid version, but it seems kind of buggy. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Last edited by MichaelColey; November 19th, 2005 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Unlinked

Looks about as thin as it gets. I can't see why somebody would rather shop on one of these sites than on Amazon. This would only earn income through SERP results and will eventually get filtered out. I see this as only a temporary source of income unless you've already got an established content site to append it to.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    ... unless you've already got an established content site to append it to.

- Scott
    That's the plan. I'm was afraid that Google may penalize me for having a billion dup pages, but I'll modify the robot text to exclude that entire store from spiders.

However, it would be nice if at least the main page and the main subsection pages (DVD, Books, sports, etc) can be crawaled by Google. But I'm not sure if Google will like those pages. Not sure what is the best way to allow the main and subsection pages to be crawaled but to exclude the rest of the store. Might take some robot work that I'm not qualified for...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pokerturkey
    That's the plan. I'm was afraid that Google may penalize me for having a billion dup pages, but I'll modify the robot text to exclude that entire store from spiders.

However, it would be nice if at least the main page and the main subsection pages (DVD, Books, sports, etc) can be crawaled by Google. But I'm not sure if Google will like those pages. Not sure what is the best way to allow the main and subsection pages to be crawaled but to exclude the rest of the store. Might take some robot work that I'm not qualified for...
    Go back and take a refresher course in... "How to spam the SERPs with feeds in ten minutes". I think it's for sale on Amazon
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What do you guys think of this software?
    I've seen feed softwares that produce much worse results than that!
    But, it should be customizable. I'm not just talking about the looks/templates...there needs to be some way to make it so it doesn't get whacked. The usual problem with such softwares is, the output is too similar. I don't mean something as obvious as the main template, but stupid things like the programmers being egotistical that they stick their name or link into the output pages! It only takes Goofle about 5 minutes, for instance, to whack everything that has something obvious like "Powered by X" or perhaps a particular graphic, on it.

Go back and take a refresher course in... "How to spam the SERPs with feeds in ten minutes".
    Although I'm sure his intent is different than mine, I will say...
    YES, DO!

What you've (pokerturkey) been describing sounds like an incredible waste of disk space. The whole point is to get your stuff listed! Content-moochers may be glad to look, but would probably rather jump off a building than buy anything. You need to be able to get REAL BUYERS to those pages!

You might want to spend a few bucks for another domain. Suddenly adding a bajillion pages to a site that ranks...is a good way to get it to not rank any longer. Even if you added thousands of *quality content* (gag) pages all at once--just the sudden mass jump in the amount of material will often throw a site's rank into the Dumpster while G recalculates its "opinion" of it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The affiliate model of the future (or now) may be to make one site 'pure' as the driven snow (no aff links, only content, etc.).
    Funnel the traffic from that site to your 'thin' aff site. Pure database, blocked from SE's.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    The affiliate model of the future (or now) may be to make one site 'pure' as the driven snow (no aff links, only content, etc.).
    Funnel the traffic from that site to your 'thin' aff site. Pure database, blocked from SE's.
    The problem is that the content traffic generally won't shop on your sales based site unless it's got some great information. You can't just do a thin affiliate site. You need to have articles, reviews, recommendations and details about your niche. That might help lure some of your content seekers over and start converting them. A thin site really won't lure anybody as it provides very little value to the shoppers.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    You might want to spend a few bucks for another domain. Suddenly adding a bajillion pages to a site that ranks...is a good way to get it to not rank any longer. Even if you added thousands of *quality content* (gag) pages all at once--just the sudden mass jump in the amount of material will often throw a site's rank into the Dumpster while G recalculates its "opinion" of it.
    Your advice about separate domains is a good one. However, my main intent in adding the store is not to make tons of money from it. My main goal is to add value to my main website (which already has tons of content) by offering another feature to our users.

Your description of what Google may do is scaring me. Lots.

Can I possibly prevent Google's wrath with a robt.txt exclusion of the entire directory that hosts the store's files?

Your description of what Google may do is scaring me. Lots.
    Sorry--but I've had it happen! A couple of years ago I added a whole bunch of recipes to my recipe site...and the rankings tanked for several months. There is a big Store section (of course), but I hadn't expanded that at that time, just the actual c*ntent.

Can I possibly prevent Google's wrath with a robt.txt exclusion of the entire directory that hosts the store's files?
    I would think so. But, I haven't tried that for myself so I can't say "for sure." However I would figure you wouldn't be penalized for something they can't see...

You can't just do a thin affiliate site. You need to have articles, reviews, recommendations and details about your niche.
    'Larkey.

If you have a forum, using it to flog your Tastefully Svelte(TM) store can work wonders if the merchant's offer is right. "MerchantX is having a great sale [Sale details here]. You can see their selection HERE [Link to thin feed-generated store]." No "articles, reviews, or details" needed. I suppose mentioning the sale may count as a recommendation, but only in the barest minimum sense. It's not an "I love this store!" kind of ad.

If the visitors like the sale, there'll be an obvious pop in the stats a day or two later.
    Sometimes they won't like the sale, and nothing will happen.

The deciding factor isn't the information, it's whether the audience is interested in that sale or not.

I have found that no c*ntent people will come to the Store section unless I keep on pushing it, though. Just having a link over isn't enough.

ABW Ambassador
    You can't just do a thin affiliate site. You need to have articles, reviews, recommendations and details about your niche.
    No, you don't. People who are shopping to buy are looking for products, not articles.

Shopping sites are not thin affiliate sites, that's a misconception, and shouldn't be confused with cranked out cookie-cutter sites with a kazillion pages just like everyone else has who used the same software to crank out their kazillion pages.

Product descriptions ARE content = targeted sales copy. Not articles. Articles are not marketing copy, they are for information seekers who might be in the first investigative stage of window shopping - and those aren't buyers yet.

All the information motivated SHOPPERS are looking for and need is descriptive of the particular products they're looking for in order to BUY, which can be right in the product descriptions - and that's not articles. If they are ready to buy stuff and find just articles, they will leave and go elsewhere where they can find their stuff - they will leave and find themselves a shopping site.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Product descriptions ARE content = targeted sales copy. Not articles. Articles are not marketing copy, they are for information seekers who might be in the first investigative stage of window shopping - and those aren't buyers yet.

All the information motivated SHOPPERS are looking for and need is descriptive of the particular products they're looking for in order to BUY, which can be right in the product descriptions - and that's not articles. If they are ready to buy stuff and find just articles, they will leave and go elsewhere where they can find their stuff - they will leave and find themselves a shopping site.
    Ideally what you want is a content section for general traffic, an information section to give this general traffic an inkling to consider making a purchase and a full fledged sales section so they can find the best prices and deals. Without those three aspects I don't think you'll have much luck converting content seekers into shoppers.

If you just want to target people who are ready to purchase you only need a shopping section. The problem with this model is it's incredibly competitive, keywords are expensive and it's very high maintenance. You can live or die by the SERPs and unless you offer a truely valuable resource nobody will become loyal.

I like the former model because you can build a strong PageRank with the content section, earn additional income on PPC advertising and earn some loyalty without updating deals & coupons every hour of every day. You can circumvent a lot of the competition by creating shoppers out of content seekers. It's no easy task, but catching shoppers just before they make a purchase is no walk in the park either.

- Scott

Leader, I'm glad you scared me. It is better to learn the harsh truth here than to actually experience it.

After much consideration, I've decided to install this software but will try the following methods to keep search engines from finding it. Please let me know if these methods are (1) effective, and (2) damaging to my website in anyway.

STEP 1: ROBOT EXCLUSION PROTOCOL

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /store/

STEP 2: NOFOLLOW META TAG ON STORE PAGES

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

STEP 3: NOFOLLOW TAG ON ALL LINKS FROM MAIN PAGE TO THE STORE PAGES

<a href=*http://www.example.com/store.html" rel="nofollow">My Store</a>

I don't think you should need all those layers of anti-roboting. The real SEs all pay attention to robots.txt.

The "bad" bots that ignore robots.txt will probably ignore everything else, too--but they're not run by legit SEs. Bad bots usually are site scrapers or email harvesters; in other words, scum.

As for your robots.txt itself, I've never been really rock-solid on the protocol, and always end up looking it up HERE when I want to use it...

Thank you fellow capitalist. That is a useful link and I'll make sure I refer to it when I amend my robot.txt file. =)

Looks like a competitor to Synthasite, a similar product that gets it's data from CJ and other network datafeeds. I have to admit the use of the proven amazon nav tabs is clever.

-Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Looks about as thin as it gets. I can't see why somebody would rather shop on one of these sites than on Amazon. This would only earn income through SERP results and will eventually get filtered out. I see this as only a temporary source of income unless you've already got an established content site to append it to.

- Scott
    I kind of agree here with Scott...I had a script I wrote that got 80k pages in Google...had spiders visiting it 20-40k times a day! But, you know...almost nothing in sales (others may have had better experience here).

My current thinking re: Amazon is to build a gem of a site around a focused topic and then include books for sale. Then you got something you are proud to promote ;-)

ADDED: Well, except some people like all the pages listed...can use them to link to your other sites for example or get something going via DigitalPoint's Link Coop.
    Last edited by Spider Ninja; November 21st, 2005 at 07:37 PM.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread