ABW Ambassador
    Angry AIM Bots
    Just returned from Vegas to find AIM Bots on my AOL/IM
    Searched ABW and found no reference.

The Bots that show at the top are:
    MovieFone
    ShoppingBuddy

wtf ?

My AIM updated a couple days ago and those bots appeared. I just removed them from my buddy list. I wasn't interested in them so I didn't read much about their purpose but it said something about send info to your cell phone.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

That's what I did. Just remove 'em, Mike! They appeared around Thursday... I've deleted mine.

every once in a while AOL tries to sneak something in to AIM during an upgrade. Looks like they were a little more blatant this time.

somewhere around v5.0 it was Weatherbug. at that point I happened to check what they were offering and declined ALL upgrades of AIM after that.

whether or not these two items are deleterious to our financial health remains to be seen, but anything that merges shopping and buddy smells parasitic to me.

too bad the open source version of AIM is still buggy. It is called GAIM and carries none of the trash with it. you can even see if someone has you on their list in some cases. you can also have all your IM clients on one panel. But the last I heard it was still not ready for prime time.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    too bad the open source version of AIM is still buggy...
    I use Trillian. Got it there...

Geno

I use Adium which is a fantastic OS X based AIM client and these bots still showed up, so I'm sure it's not just affecting people who use the AOL Brand AIM client. In any event it seems these bots are pointing to AOL's inStore price comparison engine which is really just based on Shopzilla results. And to think we didn't have enough Bizrate/Shopzilla clones already..

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    How do you chat window folks get around not getting the rootkit/trojan back-door hijackings targeting all these programs. Due to the Sony XCP rootkit discovery ALL security firms know the adwhores and Zombie spammers infest via AIM more then hijacking browsers with drive-bys. They figure it's just a short time till the perps unlease a Instant Messager worm/rootkit that will infect every AIM/IQC open application in 5 seconds... without a click. Go read the "facetime" site's news ond discoveries as to who's behind these system hijackings.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I use Trillian and haven't had any problems so far.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    How do you chat window folks get around not getting the rootkit/trojan back-door hijackings targeting all these programs. Due to the Sony XCP rootkit discovery ALL security firms know the adwhores and Zombie spammers infest via AIM more then hijacking browsers with drive-bys. They figure it's just a short time till the perps unlease a Instant Messager worm/rootkit that will infect every AIM/IQC open application in 5 seconds... without a click. Go read the "facetime" site's news ond discoveries as to who's behind these system hijackings.
    I've never experienced a case where any rootkit or trojan came through AIM. Personally, I think it's more secure than IE. I've been exploited countless times through IE, but never any chat medium.

- Scott

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I've never experienced a case where any rootkit or trojan came through AIM. Personally, I think it's more secure than IE. I've been exploited countless times through IE, but never any chat medium.

- Scott
    Ignor at your won risk all the major media stories about the Adwhore bundles and Zombie spam installs through AIM type programs. ... http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2005/11...ed-botnet.html
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    too bad the open source version of AIM is still buggy. It is called GAIM and carries none of the trash with it. you can even see if someone has you on their list in some cases. you can also have all your IM clients on one panel. But the last I heard it was still not ready for prime time.
    I use it all the time on both Windows and Linux with no problems. I don't use audio or video or send files, so there may be issues there, but I'm on a distributed development team and I'm using it pretty much whenever I'm awake.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

I like the idea that I can use it on multiple machines at the same time but have only experimented a little with Gaim on my open source computers. One of my kids, a software (BIOS) developer, has to have it "on" at all times where he works but says something is not perfect yet. I'll have to get him to spell it out for me. I really want to get rid of the AOL version I'm using now.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Ignor at your won risk all the major media stories about the Adwhore bundles and Zombie spam installs through AIM type programs. ... http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2005/11...ed-botnet.html
    It seems like this is simply the result of careless users. They needed to click a link in order to activate this. The same can be said about email or web browsing. We might as well just stop using the internet otherwise we're risking being exploited..

- Scott

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread