When there isn't a datafeed...
    If there isn't a product catalog available for a merchant, how do you sell their individual products. Is it a matter of cutting and pasting till you drop?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    First you need to get permission from the merchant to promote individual products. If they give you permission (don't forget to ask for permission to hotlink to their image files) then you have to build links by hand.

If it's CJ that's not too hard. You can use practically any product link as a template to build any other product link. Just make sure to change the pertinent info (merchant, landing page, description, etc.)

If it's Linkshare or Performics or SAS then you'll have to ask somebody else I'm afraid coz I don't know how to do that.

In any case I hope it's worth it because it's a labor intensive process (been there done that yuck!)

ABW Ambassador
    >>>it's a labor intensive process

LABOR is the keyword

Do some work and you will be rewarded.

ABW Ambassador
    If there isn't a product catalog available for a merchant, how do you sell their individual products.
    Depending on the setup (and the network), you can always email a request (or by phone) that individual product links be made available, which can sometimes be a big time saver even without feeds. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

One LS merchant had only product linking available and there was a ton to go through, so I requested advanced be enabled so I could get the exact ones I wanted, which she did the same day - and is probably glad about it this holiday season. Someone came in this month on a search term for one specific item I had requested back in July - and ended up ordering 56 items. They usually try to cooperate as much as they can - most, anyway. The more we do to promote them, the better off they are long term.

I've also on occasion asked permission (in writing) to swipe images just to display on my site for their goods when I need specifics, and then link to their main or section page along with them, and can't recall being turned down yet.

Thanks for these excellent responses. I figured it was labor intensive, but this merchant converts for me so it's worth it.

One more question though, do merchants change their product links often? Scary to think you go through the hassle and then the next week they're different.

What Adam Ward said!

It's worth the Labor/hard work. Why? Because a lot of affiliates don't do the hard work, meaning you will compete with less.

Bethany, it depends what the merchant sells....
    And if you're displaying the item prices.

i.e. a merchant like overstock (who over a feed) change very regularly
    but some merchants like flower stores don't change so often (the items are seasonal and remain for a few months)

Sometimes merchants will create a datafeed for you. Other times you can scrape their site to get the products. I can't imagine doing anything like that by hand, unless there were just a small number of products.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by bethany
    but this merchant converts for me so it's worth it.
    Bethany,
    If you haven't already done so, you might want to request the merchant to create a datafeed for you. If you are making money for the merchant, chances are that they would help you with what you need.

cheers!
    -nishith

You guys are great! The merchant doesn't have links for me, but says it's cool to use the individual products, and I think I can scrape the links so that'll help.

Thanks for all your input!

Quote Originally Posted by bethany
    You guys are great! The merchant doesn't have links for me, but says it's cool to use the individual products, and I think I can scrape the links so that'll help.

Thanks for all your input!
    Glad that its working out well for you.

cheers!
    -nishith

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread