Mall sites...how do they work?
    I'm interested in making my first mall site (focused on a single main topic, merchants of my choosing). I can't quite figure out how it works, though.

1. When someone hits a "buy now" button, does it go to the merchants cart or to the corresponding product page on the merchant's site. With Amazon, you can have a shopping cart on your site so they stick around, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how it is with other merchants.

2. Is it wise to be blatant about the merchants involved or wait for the visitor to click through? I'm thinking it's better to be aboveboard with it since many of the merchants will be recognizable, but let me know if I'm wrong.

3. What do you do as far as customer service info on the website? I like checking the Contact Us and About Us pages when I'm shopping online, but there's not really much customer service I'd be capable of, seeing as how I'm "just" an affiliate. What to do, what to do?

Help the newbie please!

Quote Originally Posted by bethany
    1. When someone hits a "buy now" button, does it go to the merchants cart or to the corresponding product page on the merchant's site. With Amazon, you can have a shopping cart on your site so they stick around, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how it is with other merchants.
    with almost all merchants you are redircting to the merchant site to complete the sale

2. Is it wise to be blatant about the merchants involved or wait for the visitor to click through? I'm thinking it's better to be aboveboard with it since many of the merchants will be recognizable, but let me know if I'm wrong.
    some affiliates putthe merchants name front and center others hide it till the customer clicks the buy link

3. What do you do as far as customer service info on the website? I like checking the Contact Us and About Us pages when I'm shopping online, but there's not really much customer service I'd be capable of, seeing as how I'm "just" an affiliate. What to do, what to do?
    this is a tough question... I personally dont have contact pages on my websites because i am an affiliate and CS is the responsiblity of the merchant, some affiliates have contact pages and try to help resolve issues...

I dropped my contact pages because I got tired of being contacted about stuff I didnt sell and in some case wasnt even on my website, people are fickle when it comes to money... if they think they spent their money at your site their is very little you can do to change their mind...

I had one case where the BBB got involved... till I told the representative if he could find the product on my website I would make the refund... the product in question had never been on my site...so that was the end of the issue....

I pulled all contact pages that day...

Personally I'd recommend against a mall site... build niche sites... you'll make more more for less work and aggravation... my Niche site have always done better then my mall site... I'd close it, if it wasnt the name of my company...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Good points Joe.

2. I would recommend that you should display the merchant's name or else there is a possibility that the visitor might feel surprised or disconnected when they click on the link.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread