Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Would My Products Work For Shareasale?
    Hi all,
    I've got a quirky, very nichey website that sells original t-shirts. A couple weeks ago Google dropped me off the face of the planet so I'm now searching other avenues to increase business.

Would any of you kind affiliated souls let me know if my shirts are something you might want to work with? Do t-shirts convert well for you?

Suggestions and ideas are more than welcome.

Flo
    www.fishpie.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    T-shirts convert for me.

Those are some pretty weird shirts! Love them. :-) They would be perfect for teens and twisted adults. LOL - Good luck!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

There's a few shirt merchants at SaS already...you'd probably do just fine.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Your site should probably fit on on SAS. You have one major factor working against you unless you do telephone tracking and that is the 800 number plastered at the top of your site pages. Tee shirts have not converted well for me but I hear others do quite well.

Gene
    TCS

Thanks for the replies so far, keep 'em coming!

About that 800 number up top, I would happily get rid of it, no problem.

Shareasale is worth pursuing but yes, the 800 number would cause concerns for affiliates promoting your products.

ABW Ambassador
    Flo, the site is actually a perfect fit for Shareasale, which is the best place to look for independent merchants who carry merchandise that's unique and off the beaten track.

As a matter of fact, there are already a couple of merchants at SAS who carry quirky gift type merchandise. It's similar in nature but not the same, so you might even want to find them and look to exchange links with them in addition to setting up an affiliate program, because you're showing PR0 on the homepage so it appears Google isn't crediting you with having any decent inbound links.

Shareasale is a perfect choice, and it's a good idea to go on auto-deposit. There must be affiliates who already attract visitors looking for what's unique and "bizarre" so yours would make a good addition, especially through a trusted network.

Good info Webworker and very heartening to hear.

About that PR: Oct. 27 was the day Google decided my site didn't exist, after being on the first page for most terms the last few years. I lost 70% of my traffic and considering it's the holiday season, it was heartbreaking. All for the best I guess, as it's forcing me check out other alternatives (which I should have done all along).

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Sure would. I'd sign up. Cool t-shirts. Gave me a few ideas.

Internet Cowboy
    Don't can the 800 number. Find the script that displays the affiliate code as a "Promo Code" and use it.

A few tips to get affiliates excited:

• Pay as much commission as you can possibly spare
    • Auto deposit
    • Datafeed
    • At least 45 return days, maybe more
    • Offer coupons
    Do these and you will be successful on Shareasale. The datafeed enables the "Make a Page" feature. Both are free for the merchant on Shareasale and huge for affiliates.

There are several quality independent affiliate managers present on ABW. Greg Rice is one of them. Very knowledgable and straight up and can get you pointed in the right direction. You might or might not need/want to hire someone to manage your program, but bringing someone on as a consultant to get you headed in the right direction is money well spent.

Thanks for recommendation, UncleScooter. Flo, SAS has the script for the 800 number. They can get you started with that. If there's anything I can help with, please don't hesitate to contact me.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thank you everyone, I'm now an official Shareasale merchant. I really appreciate the great advice and support you've given me--couldn't have made up my mind without you.

Looking forward to the suprises in store...this is gonna be fun!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Now the fun begins, Flo. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Don't mean to open a can of worms but, you might consider resizing your site to fit 800x600 resolution. The 800 and 940 pixel tables are huge requiring sideways scrolling. The right sidebar is not necessary as you only have two links occupying it. Everything would fit nicely in a 800 pixel wide page.

Gene
    TCS

No can :-)

That was by design, actually. The main body is 800 and the tabs are meant to be noticed but easily ignored once seen. It also gives me room to add temporary stuff, like if there's a special, for example.

Most people are viewing with 1024 these days anyway.

Do as you wish but, most people are not viewing with 1024 resolution. It is actually about 46% users of 800x600 to 40% users of 1024x768. So it is close to 50/50. After this Christmas season, we may indeed see the 1024's out strip the 800's.

Gene
    TCS

Not to nitpick, but my stats (using Indextools) are very different from yours. Says 19% use 800 while 60% use 1024.

ABW Ambassador
    Not to nitpick back Flo, but web-wide it's just about split 60/40, not just some individual sites. Most people will not bother with sites where they have to do sideways scrolling, especially if they have to click around to shop and order. I for one refuse to use those altogether (if I have to scroll I am GONE), and so do many people. It's considered to be one of the major usability flaws.

Another thing to consider is that chances are you may not be getting return visitors via bookmarks or type-ins from users with lower resolutions. I just checked a fairly new site of mine (average female shopper oriented) - and 32% of my traffic today was from bookmarks or people directly typing in the URL - only 57% was search engine traffic. That site consistently has around a 16% bookmark rate, and it's fairly competitive, popular niche consumer products. A lot is dependent on a given audience - tech-savvy users are likely to use higher resolutions. A lot can depend on the target audience demographics.

But even if it's 25% - that's a very hefty chunk of potential buyers to be shutting out. That is potentially being annoying to 1 out of 4 people. It's your choice though, the OP was only trying to give a friendly, helpful tip.

I don't want to cause offence. I'm certainly not shutting anyone out, all the sites I make are optimized for 800. No scrolling is necessary (just to see what those right tabs say) which is exactly what I want the viewer to do.

This optional right margin is a convention I've seen on other sites and liked so I used it.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your statistics from though, I just checked 3 stat sites off Google and they all gel with my numbers.

Internet Cowboy
    I never cease to be amazed at the number of people still using 800 x 600. I set all of my sites 800 wide. I hate to, but most people who click on a site that requires a horizontal scroll will go elsewhere. I certainly do.

Flo. You came here seeking advice. Nobody is trying to belittle your site. As your future affiliate partners we have every desire for your site to be as productive as possible. A horizontal scroll will kill coversions to a sizeable portion of your visitors.

Just food for thought.

Don't worry, I didn't take it as belittling.

the great thing about online marketing is... choice...

just remember you only get once chance with affiliates.... if your affiliates come to believe they are leaving money on the table because of something to do with your website design, and you refuse to be responsive they will drop you like a hot rock and go work with a merchant who is responsive....

Affiliate marketing is a partnership... affiliates and merchant working together... think of it as a marriage between odd couples... if the marriage doesnt work the affiliate partner goes and find a new partner... the old merchant partner is left in the bone yard to fend for themselves...

you already said your traffic dropped 70%... you can easily recover from that loss of traffic with affiliate marketing.. but only if you are responsive...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Ok everyone, the tabs wil be removed later today. I'm in this to get business and if that makes all the difference for you, I'm on it. Hope we can get back to the happy place soon :-)

I tried to find you listed on SAS last night and didn't. Is it active yet? Different name?

Thanks for asking! I just officially activated for public use this morning (but a Shareasale person has to look at it first). Meanwhile, I'm finishing the database. Yay!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast