Using cj links or direct links
    Hi,

I am using new direct links instead of the cj links. The problem is the clicks don't get tracked; but then norton does not block my links anymore. So will my sales get tracked if I use direct links? I think yes, just want to ask and make sure. I tried asking the program manager in question but I got no reply from them.

If you have an account with this merchant both in CJ and as an independent, put both kinds of ads somewhere around your sites and see which version makes sales. You can switch them every month for a while.

I think you got my question wrong. The cj style link forwards to a page on that looks like page.htm?AID=******&PID=****** Then I just forward ppl to this page instead of using the qsrv.net?******-****** style links that cj uses, and get blocked by antivirus software like norton and so on.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by dabomb_gent
    I think you got my question wrong. The cj style link forwards to a page on that looks like page.htm?AID=******&PID=****** Then I just forward ppl to this page instead of using the qsrv.net?******-****** style links that cj uses, and get blocked by antivirus software like norton and so on.
    So your talking about using 3rd world PPCSE listings and their BHO partners to link to a page with a cookie stuffing re-direct to the merchants site. How friggin creative. Why not also just list those links in one of those forced click slave labor pools (Get Paidt to) and simulate buyers to both set your cookies and throw-up some scraped pages with the only exit being a Adwords/Overture click. Sock it to the merchants like thousands of other tricks for clicks affiliates.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"How friggin creative."

Who's getting creative, Mike? An early start on the holiday sauce?

He didn't say anything about PPC.

He wants to know if his sales can be tracked by passing PID info but without going through one of CJ's servers.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I see a lot of what Mike sees here. Perhaps it is the sauce.

You guys r uptight. Loosen up.. Chocolate_Chicken got it right, thats what I mean.

You guys r uptight. Loosen up..
    hence, the sauce...

What you are doing will not track sales or leads. We need the corresponding click - without it, no commission.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Todd's obviously saucing as well... :-)

And what Mike and I "see", is the "why" behind messing with the link structure that CJ has set in place... you said "Then I just forward ppl to this page instead of using the"... why would you do this? Mike and I, all sauced up, "see" the "Then I just forward" them as forcing a redirection from a proper network tracking link... why forward them?

Gotta go, Charley needs a refill - Mike's to sauced to pour - my turn. You know, Charley's relatives are not in for a good upcoming weekend here.

Happy Turkey Day to all you redirecting Turkeys! Choke on a bone.

I have to do this because norton is blocking my links. Some people do not know how to turn this of and they would like to be able to surf my sites and follow my links. But they simply can't because they don't know how to turn it off. When I use direct links norton doesn't block them.

Why don't you just use a redirect script instead?

If CJ doesn't knows it, only the merchant knows, what makes you think that the merchant will definitely honour it?

what do you mean redirect script? I already use meta redirect is there a better way of doing a redirect?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddCrawford
    What you are doing will not track sales or leads. We need the corresponding click - without it, no commission.
    So what Todd is saying is that until there is some other method of tracking sales deployed by CJ, affiliates are just going to have to suck up the ever increasing percent of blocked links and erased cookies that Norton and other ISP provided software has been effecting.

Wonder what the percent of blocked links is this holiday season compared to last, has it increased to 20%, 30%, or higher?

I hear people go on and on about parasites, does anybody have data on the impact of blocked links?

I have to do this because norton is blocking my links. Some people do not know how to turn this of and they would like to be able to surf my sites and follow my links. But they simply can't because they don't know how to turn it off. When I use direct links norton doesn't block them.
    I'm curious how Norton is blocking your links? I test with both Norton and Mcafee and CJ links are the ones that display properly. LS and BF on the other hand leave blank spots on my pages and I still haven't figured a way to get around that..
    [SIZE=1][URL=http://www.tastelessandtacky.com]Tasteless and Tacky Gear[/URL][/SIZE]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Todd's obviously saucing as well... :-)

And what Mike and I "see", is the "why" behind messing with the link structure that CJ has set in place... you said "Then I just forward ppl to this page instead of using the"... why would you do this? Mike and I, all sauced up, "see" the "Then I just forward" them as forcing a redirection from a proper network tracking link... why forward them?

Gotta go, Charley needs a refill - Mike's to sauced to pour - my turn. You know, Charley's relatives are not in for a good upcoming weekend here.

Happy Turkey Day to all you redirecting Turkeys! Choke on a bone.
    Charlie turns into a Green Cannibal during the Holiday dinners. He demands a turkey leg bone and chews it down to the marrow. That and pizza crust are his favorite. He also say's not to mess with CJ linking codes or they'll use that as an excuse when challenged on reporting.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lightbulb
    what do you mean redirect script? I already use meta redirect is there a better way of doing a redirect?
    The best thing you could do is use the Contact us / Ask a Question feature in the CJ account manager..it's in the upper right hand side.

To get this routed to the correct department use a pulldown category such as Linking, with a sub category of Advanced linking.

Let them know about the current meta refresh/redirect you have in place (be sure to give them a URL so they can see how well it works) and ask them how best to increase your conversion ratio, due to this Norton's issue.

Once they understand what you would like to do I'm sure they will be able to tell you what you need to know.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread