DataFeeds and New Merchants
    Why do so many SAS merchants not update their datafeeds? It's frustrating when you spend big time on a datafeed check a link and the prices, descriptions, etc. don't match. (ESP the prices). Also if a product does not have a description the item name should be copied into this field. If the item does not have an image a link to an image_not_available.jpg would be nice.

Also when looking for new merchants doesn't AUTO APPROVE mean just that? I hate joining an AUTO APPROVE merchant - and then having to wait for approval all that makes me do is have to look up the merchant and unjoin.

This all takes too much time. Time We can use to make $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by janew
    Why do so many SAS merchants not update their datafeeds? It's frustrating when you spend big time on a datafeed check a link and the prices, descriptions, etc. don't match. (ESP the prices).
    The answer will be exactly the same as the answer to the question I ask myself nearly every day, and that is: why do so many affiliates not update their datafeeds?

Talking about frustration about the incorrect pricing? One of my customer service girls approached me today with an e-mail from a customer that claims that "our website" is saying that a particular glasshoolder costs $27 or something like that. But when she (the customer) adds the glassholder to her shopping cart, the price bumps up to $41. She is furious. And so am I. Because I know that it is not our fault. I know exactly what she (the customer) means about "your website". She means some affiliate website that hasn't updated their datafeed for over half a year... Being affiliated also implies a certain degree of responsibility.

Because they are irresponsible is the answer to your question, janew.

At least, such is my opinion.

Geno

When a affiliate applies to a program and grabs a data feed would it beneficial to ask certain questions? What software or CMS do you use to implement these datafeeds. Do you use PHP or custom scripts? May it even be more benificial to the merchant to develop a CMS that can implement affiliate feeds.

I think the big mistake that merchants make is not taking notice of ... up and coming affiliates. I'm not talking about the one who produced 20000 in sales in one month but one who has progresively moved up to 1k or 5k in sales over a period of months. Failure to groom those affiliates is a shame as they may be on to a new marketing technique that does not involve spamming or scraping and the merchant is ignorant to investigate and follow up on that affiliate. Its possibly a lost marketing opportunity ... a way for a merchant to learn how to market thier own product!!!

Now I am sure you are all thinking cookie cutter sites. Those sites die by the wayside ... when SE's come through and see duplicate content.

I would suspect that if a few good affiliate managers of reputable merchant programs helped develop such a CMS or software that incorporated datafeeds and provided a little more training to thier top 25% earners they would even benefit more.

Don't get me wrong there are a few affiliate program managers that are already gooming there up and coming earners and they have learned it pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    The answer will be exactly the same as the answer to the question I ask myself nearly every day, and that is: why do so many affiliates not update their datafeeds?
    Because it is a damned lot of work. That's why.

We have to consider how much per hour we make when working on a given merchant and if the return on our time can justify putting more work into that merchant.

If we put up a merchat's products, we have made an investment of time and taken a gamble that we will get paid. If we don't, the feed will be updated whenever we maybe get around to it.

Why would I invest even more time into a merchant who hasn't paid off for me when I could put the same time into one who has or into a new one that I want to try out?

Anyone here want to work for free? I don't. It's all about the money.

However, for that reason, I do NOT use prices when I put up a merchant. They must go to the merchant site to see the price if they are interested in a product.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Until that last paragraph, Sandra, I thought you're responding to my attack on the affiliates that are not updating their prices...

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread