Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ok, Ive had it...

Ebay cookie (uk) goes from 45 days down to 30.

Now, do I really care about the 15 days???

No.

But it bugs the $hit out of me that THEY are thinking about ways to reduce my potential income.

They dont want a partnership. They clearly want free advertising at my expense.

People, dont we need to be REALLY really careful who we have on our sites?? I mean, think about it. Are we just putting them on our sites because of the name eBay???

This isnt about the 5 bucks a lead this is about the stupid BS games these advertisers play to try and trick us out of our visitors and our money.

AND CJ SHAME ON YOU FOR ALLOWING THIS!!!
    I MEAN IT! I dont hide my distaste for your network, but I had decided to give it another chance and you failed me again.

WHY is it ok that ebay gets FULL INFO including a CC number from our traffic but doesnt have to pay for it?? WHY???

Well, whatever because Im not going to try and reinvent the wheel, Im just gonna get a new one.

Another thing is that today is the 21st and STILL my early may transactions are on extend.

CJ- HOW MUCH CRAP MUST WE ENDURE???

I WANT SOME DAMN ANSWERS!!!

Ill remove that entire auction site before I will give ebay more FREE traffic! Even if I only send ONE visitor to ebay for free, thats more than what they would do for me. Do any of you think that they would put us up on THEIR site for free???? Hell no! Look at their listing fees, which I have burned on as well, as a direct result of their stupid pay per bid only. BOGUS BUYERS!

Im gonna get on the phone and cancel my credit card charge now.

Does anyone think I am wrong about this???

If there are ANY car related advertisers reading this that want to work with me, let me know. I will build the entire site around you if it works

And another thing, I find it VERY odd that when Ihad my own (very long) lead form on that same site, i was getting about 200 leads a month. Now ebay says I get like 10????

Lauren - if you don't like Ebay's terms, don't promote them. Simple as that.

They have a right to lower cookie durations and commissions or cancel their affiliate program altogether. And we as affiliates have the right to promote them or dump them.

quote:
    Originally posted by Dignan:

They have a right to lower cookie durations and commissions or cancel their affiliate program altogether. And we as affiliates have the right to promote them or dump them.

yada yada yada

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Lauren-
    I have tried to persuade eBay to promote their program under these terms:

$1/Lead
    $4 Bonus at the end of 30 days for every lead that bids or sells items.

This would allow them to pay a smaller amount for the leads that don't immediately payoff, and reduce their reversal rate from
    21% to almost nothing.

But, of course, that would require eBay to pay us for leads, and they don't want to do that.

Ubid may not have what you want, but I have been promoting them and they do convert. No reversals, no extensions.

quote:
    Originally posted by Dignan:

I don't (and never did) promote eBay because I consider their arrangement as a leak from my site.

quote:
    Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    Lauren-
    I have tried to persuade eBay to promote their program under these terms:

$1/Lead
    $4 Bonus at the end of 30 days for every lead that bids or sells items.

This would allow them to pay a smaller amount for the leads that don't immediately payoff, and reduce their reversal rate from
    21% to almost nothing.

But, of course, that would require eBay to pay us for leads, and they don't want to do that.

Ubid may not have what you want, but I have been promoting them and they do convert. No reversals, no extensions.

thanks, i have emailed ubid several times and still no answer

ABW Ambassador
    I personally don't have a problem with ebay. The money i take in from them is down but thats because they will only pay if someone registers and actually bids. I see a lot of complaining all the time about merchants. If you don't like them, just don't promote them on your site, simple. There's plenty of good ones that pay on time, just stick with those.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    WHY is it ok that ebay gets FULL INFO including a CC number from our traffic but doesnt have to pay for it??
    It may be different outside of US eBay, but buyer registration does not require a credit card number unless the registration uses an anonymous email account such as yahoo, hotmail, etc.

eBay is NOT the merchant to promote if you're concerned about cashflow, but if you don't mind waiting, they do eventually pay.
    quote:
    Does anyone think I am wrong about this???
    You don't like their terms, I don't think there is any right or wrong in that, it simply is what it is.

I'm not clear on what you think CJ should be doing about ebay.

[edited to correct quote code]

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I think that her point is that CJ should set the standards for what is and what is not a lead. This would be beneficial in a number of ways:

1. It does not let merchants set up hoops to jump through that allows them to retain a lead without paying for it.

2. It reduces affiliate confusion as to what a 'lead' is.

3. It eliminates posts such as 'Xuppa isn't tracking', since the real problem has nothing to do with tracking: it has to do with unrealistic specifications set in order for a lead to be 'approved' by the vendor.

This is not an unreasonable request. This would, in fact, simplify CJ's life, as they would have fewer complaints to track.

It would also mean more money for CJ, as legitimate leads would earn more for all of us.

ABW Ambassador
    I have no clue if CJ already has standards or not for lead generation, but *my* thought is that it is CJ's responsiblity to make sure that the merchant clearly establishes and documents what constitutes a lead... and ensures that the merchant accurately tracks all qualified leads.

My opinion is that the agreement is: pay per lead

and not:
    pay per successful lead.
    PPL does not allow reversals!!!!or it is not a PPL but a undercover PPS.
    :rolleyes:

Jonny

ABW Ambassador
    "undercover"? How so?

quote:
    Originally posted by Cedric:
    I have no clue if CJ already has standards or not for lead generation, but *my* thought is that it is CJ's responsiblity to make sure that the merchant clearly establishes and documents what constitutes a lead... and ensures that the merchant accurately tracks all qualified leads.

if getting someone to register, and give their personal information and be spammed to death for at least 30 days isnt a lead, i dont know what is.

what happens to these nonbidders after the 30 days?? hmmmm, im guessing that they keep their information and continue with the email campaigns??

i knew what a lead was prior to signing up, however, i wasnt aware that they could delay payment for 60 days or so. i know they are having financial issues but still... this is not a good sign, nor is it a healty affiliate relationship.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Nighthawk said.

And it did not impress me when I read about the nickel part of their program. I think it's that you get a nickel if someone clicks your link and then bids but I'm not 100% sure--what I AM sure of is that the visitor has to do something other than just click for it to count, but they only paid a nickel for it! Pbbbttttt (@ ebay)! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

quote:
    Originally posted by Leader:
    What Nighthawk said.

And it did not impress me when I read about the nickel part of their program. I think it's that you get a nickel if someone clicks your link and then bids but I'm not 100% sure--what I AM sure of is that the visitor has to do something other than just click for it to count, but they only paid a nickel for it! Pbbbttttt (@ ebay)! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

yes, ive earned quite a few nickels...
    it is for a currently registered user to come and place a bid.

ABW Ambassador
    Come on people...

I've seen a couple hundred posts here on Ebay.

IMHO ... Ebay sucks ... Not worth my time. If you don't agree with the terms .. Don't promote them. I have more things to do with my time than hunt for nickels. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Dave

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    i knew what a lead was prior to signing up, however, i wasnt aware that they could delay payment for 60 days or so.
    I'm still not clear what it is you want CJ to do...

As to chasing nickels? Well, if my ebay reversal rate holds even close to what it has been, I'll have made over $300 on eBay in May -- all on a handful of products I couldn't promote if it weren't for eBay (because nobody else has the product -- yes, I am refering to very specific targeting).

I don't "lose" buyers with my eBay promotions, my visitors who end up going to eBay are ones looking for items that I would have never gotten into the SEs with if it hadn't been for eBay. So, not only does eBay convert, it brings more visitors to my site by increasing my product range.

And those visitors may just be some of the ones bookmarking my site so they can return later and buy from my "real" merchants.

Nickels do add up -- especially when they come with a loyal visitor attached. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

quote:
    Originally posted by Cedric:
    I'm still not clear what it is you want CJ to do...

As to chasing nickels? Well, if my ebay reversal rate holds even close to what it has been, I'll have made over $300 on eBay in May -- all on a handful of products I couldn't promote if it weren't for eBay (because nobody else has the product -- yes, I am refering to very specific targeting).

I don't "lose" buyers with my eBay promotions, my visitors who end up going to eBay are ones looking for items that I would have never gotten into the SEs with if it hadn't been for eBay. So, not only does eBay convert, it brings more visitors to my site by increasing my product range.

And those visitors may just be some of the ones bookmarking my site so they can return later and buy from my "real" merchants.

Nickels do add up -- especially when they come with a loyal visitor attached. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

hmmmmmmm... let me absorb this a bit... you may be on to something here...

Ebay simply sucks, who cares nickels? There are real merchants out there, go promote them with your time, the worst sale is better than waiting months for a nickel or what they pay *shrug* now that I'm relaxed I can watch World Cup *grin* oh we will beat Senegal [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

edit, oppss we beat Senegal hehe

[ 06-22-2002: Message edited by: iucpxleps ]

To eBay or not to eBay that is the question.

If you do what Cedric does and super target -eBay leads are a money maker.

If you just put up a page or a banner or three or four, it's a big crap shoot and no longer worth the effort.

However if you use eBay simply as one of your two outlink choices with a SmartZone set up of five or six different eBay banners or a text link that says something like --

Click Here And Learn Where You Can Find Just About Everything Online --

You can probably pick off enough real leads to make the $25 you need to get a check from
    CJ.

You have to remember, eBay has been around for 5 years or more and a huge number of people have already signed up so the easy leads are already gone.

Actually though, you should pay eBay. Get an eBay store for $10 per month. Sell stuff thru that channel. eBay has the MOST buyer oriented traffic of any site on the net - something like 1.5 BILLION page views. You get to plug into this traffic for just $10/month. Tough deal to beat.

Put up an auction or two or three or four. People will look at what you are offering and bid or not as the case may be. If what you auction sells, you make a few bucks or even a lot.

However, there is NO law that says you can't have a link to your FREE newsletter on your auction pages or another merchant.

eBay is killer for getting newsletter subscribers if you use it in this way.

quote:
    However, there is NO law that says you can't have a link to your FREE newsletter on your auction pages or another merchant

Uh, actually Fred eBay does not allow it as per their Sellers Guide:

quote:
    Inappropriate Links – Improper use of links in a seller’s listing

The eBay item page can only be used to describe, promote and facilitate the sale of the listed eBay item - it cannot refer to or promote the seller's individual web site, off eBay sales or other businesses.

That's true...but the email signature can have the link imbedded.

see the thing is this. im not chasing nickels. im going for the 5 buck lead from users that have never really used ebay. i have an international auto auction website. that is all it does is promote car auctions. i used to work directly with dealers and buyers but the logistics were a nightmare. since i have used ebay the past month or two, what i have noticed is not really just teh bad conversions, but the fact that it seems to me that they will do whatever they can to make sure they get something out of me that they dont have topay for.
    right now, im waiting to see what happens with my extends.
    early may is still on extend. they promised by the 20th. it hasnt happened.
    if my leads convert, i may be ok with it. and like you guys say, tehy have been around forever and it surprises me that there is even one person on earth that hasnt joined. but remember, people may have joined long ago and then either didnt complete their registration or lost their info or whatever...

we shall see

I have to wonder if eBay actively tries to get those people to participate in the 30-day window, or if they set their "reminder" e-mails to day 31.

I also still have to wonder why so many people sign up for eBay but don't bid.

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast