Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tools : "My Data Feed Scripts"

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Cool New Tools : "My Data Feed Scripts"
    Hi All

We have a great new tools set live and coming up for a number of the AMWSO merchants "My Data Feed Scripts" : http://mydatafeedscripts.com/

This is a PHP/mySQL based dynamic template system that creates SEO friendly pages of merchant datafeeds AND keeps them up to date from the merchant data feeds.

AMWSO is covering all the costs of these (Well the AMWSO ones ) feeds so they are FREE for you to use.

Live now is Mondera.com , coming this week will be Emitations and Forzieri....with more to follows

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Chris - AMWSO; June 20th, 2007 at 10:31 PM.
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Hmmm... Looks interesting
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Animal Lover
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    creates SEO friendly pages

Chris
    Chris, what do you mean by SEO friendly pages?

All I see is "your logo" on co-branded pages. I use code throughout my products and so forth for SEO. How would you get a search engine to take notice of those kinds of pages other than, perhaps, the meta tags? And, I didn't even see any terms in the meta tags.

I don't get it. Looks like the SEs would ignore them or trash them right off.

Please, explain to me how sites like this work to get listed.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Please, explain to me how sites like this work to get listed.
    I'm going to let Oscar answer that one rather than waffle and get myself lost in the process

Animal Lover
    Hi SSanf,

By SE friendly I think Chris means that it's not Javascripted so all the text in the pages generated will be 'spiderable' as such - whether it ranks or not in SE is another thing altogether.

If you want to see what SEs see when they reach any page, you click on 'View' (this is with IE) and then 'Source' on the drop down.

I can run through how to generate the metas with you as well but as with your content generator you will know that if you try to do anything auto-generated, sometimes it will come out funny when you read it. With some of the scripts I have used mod rewrites so that the page 'looks' static ie the url reads like http://yoursite.com/monderasite/mond...inum%20Jewelry

instead of the http://yoursite.com/monderasite/mond...inum%20Jewelry

Not all the scripts have mod rewrites in them - not yet anyway.

Oscar

I've pulled this site up a couple of days ago, Chris. Nice to see Russian Legacy at http://mydatafeedscripts.com/2005/11...ed-php-script/ there. We're actually working on something similar now...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    Hi SSanf,

but as with your content generator you will know that if you try to do anything auto-generated, sometimes it will come out funny when you read it.

Oscar
    Nuh uh. My content generator comes out just exactly like human language with human language structure as long as that is what you put into your text file. It is indistinguishable. It generates new text for every page inserting the subject of your choice into the text and makes sensible paragraphs talking about whatever you choose and automatically adds that paragraph to your pages for you.

Well, thank you for answering. I am not sure I understand this.

When they click on a category link, are the taken to an exact identical page with just your content generated in the middle of the page and no other changes or to a whole new page altogether?

Looks like nothing changes except the heading is copied over and over with your stuff added.

How does a user optimise these pages?

Not being critical. I just want to know how this stuff is supposed to work and what usefullness it has, what all it can and cannot do.

If it does create a lot of different pages, I maybe, could add my own unique text to each page. Is that doable?
    Last edited by SSanf; November 24th, 2005 at 09:47 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Wanted to add: <defensive objection!>

If My Content Generator output isn't indistinguishable from your normal human language, all you need to do is spot the phrases that don't work in well and adjust them in your text file so that they sound right and re-run your pages and it will be fixed.

After you see how it works, it isn't hard to get the hang of.

This is much more than a random word generator. It is a phrase and sentence compiler that picks up your keywords off your page and writes unique paragraphs about the designated keywords on your static pages for you! You just need to think in terms of phrases and complete sentences instead of individual words then change the words within that structure. Voila! Human language! Indistinguishable!

I am good with language so it wasn't too hard for me to see what was needed. Peter is good with programing. So, there you have it, MY CONTENT GERERATOR!

</defensive objection!>

So, with your tool, can I make unique catagory pages or what? Does it just shove the content into the same page over and over or can I have the content shoved into different pages?

If I could simply make my own unique index and catagory pages, then we might have something here. I could focus on the Index and catagory pages and you could provide the products. My site would be as hand crafted as I cared to make it. I would like that.
    Last edited by SSanf; November 24th, 2005 at 11:04 AM.

Animal Lover
    Hi SSanf

It's the same page over and over again - so it's not like Webmerge where every page is different ie the category page is the same page - all it does is pulls out whatever keyword you've put in the url and plugs it on the page where you've 'told' it in the script to put it in.

Your content generator is a different tool altogether and very unique at that. One way I see you being able to merge the 2 is to generate different text and put it in a MySQL table with the relevant categories and then telling the page to pull the relevant text out when it hits any particular page and then putting the keyword in on the fly into the text generated (which is what I do on my sites). So in that way you can make it unique from all the others who have used the site as a template.

In other words do what you normally would do with your content generator with your own fake pages (doesn't have to be fancy because you are not going to be loading these pages up anyway) for the various categories - run it to create the content, then create an Excel table with the category in 1 field, and the text in another, copying and pasting the category and then the relevant text onto that table, loading the table up onto your MySQL server and then writing a php script to put into the index and category pages to pull out the text that's related to that particular category.

Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by Geno - RussianLegacy
    I've pulled this site up a couple of days ago, Chris. Nice to see Russian Legacy at http://mydatafeedscripts.com/2005/11...ed-php-script/ there. We're actually working on something similar now...

Geno
    Yep I was looking for someone to come out with a script that creates dynamic sites. Webmerge has said they were working on this for a while now... but have not heard much lately. When they do I'm a buyer. Just not a fan of static pages with ever changing datafeeds ...

Hi SSanf

It's the same page over and over again - so it's not like Webmerge where every page is different ie the category page is the same page - all it does is pulls out whatever keyword you've put in the url and plugs it on the page where you've 'told' it in the script to put it in.

Your content generator is a different tool altogether and very unique at that. One way I see you being able to merge the 2 is to generate different text and put it in a MySQL table with the relevant categories and then telling the page to pull the relevant text out when it hits any particular page and then putting the keyword in on the fly into the text generated (which is what I do on my sites). So in that way you can make it unique from all the others who have used the site as a template.

In other words do what you normally would do with your content generator with your own fake pages (doesn't have to be fancy because you are not going to be loading these pages up anyway) for the various categories - run it to create the content, then create an Excel table with the category in 1 field, and the text in another, copying and pasting the category and then the relevant text onto that table, loading the table up onto your MySQL server and then writing a php script to put into the index and category pages to pull out the text that's related to that particular category.

Oscar
    That is interesting.

This table you talk about, is that a spread sheet? If so, what program would you use for the spreadsheet? Excel doesn't hold enough characters to have a very long paragraph in one column. Maybe, every sentence would need to be in a different column or something.

I can write an actual table, if that is what is needed, with My Content Generator because you can put HTML in the output if you want to.

Animal Lover
    If you can open a datafeed in an Excel spreadsheet, then you can probably do the same for this - usually I just have something on the top of the page (like what you have on the Welcome to my site example on MyContentGenerator) so it's not that long - I've opened Overstock descriptions in Excel so that's about as long as I have it. The rest of the page is devoted to the products which display and the descriptions act as more 'text' or SE fodder.

So if you find that the paragraphs is too long, then you can split it into different columns. What it can do is this ie :

Keyword| paragraph1|paragraph2|paragraph3
    BlueWidgets|This is the site for blue widgets blah blah|This is paragraph2 for blue widgets|This is paragraph3 for blue widgets

Then what you have the display php page do is to look up that table, and if that php page is about blue widgets (the category) then to spit out the paragraphs1, 2 and 3.

If it can't find any keyword listed then it won't...that's one way of doing it. The other way I see it working is that you have a table with your various ways of describing any particular keyword (like what you've already developed in your MCG). You can even ask the script to pick it out randomly - if you have 5 different ways of saying what you want to say (like your MCG example of Welcome to my site), you can tell it to choose a number from 0-4 and then correlate that number with that descriptive passage and spit that one out - kinda like a banner rotation but actually a descriptive rotation...so you have a table like this and you tag the keyword so that it looks like this ~KEYWORD~:

descriptionnumber|paragraph1|paragraph2|paragraph3
    0|Welcome to my site, here you will find ~KEYWORD~ galore. The best priced ~KEYWORD~ at a fraction of the cost blah blah|description for p2|description for p3

Then when you write the script in the php page, you tell it to pick the description number in random, find the phrase ~KEYWORD~ and replace it with your category or keyword and then you have something different every time. Kinda like Webmerge but on the fly...No more loading up 100s of static pages of html. Just load up one table, update the table if you feel like adding more ways of describing stuff and that's it.

I think with the facility that MCG has it's probably better to work it out using Way2 - because that's what you're already doing anyway...using a particular keyword or category but working the words around it whilst saying the same thing in different ways.

I hope that makes sense,
    Oscar

I will need more information on how to "instruct" the program but I want to try this.

I will need to get together with you individually, I guess.

Oh, one last question. Will the search engines be able to read the generated text? If they can't read it, there is no real point to it, is there? Do they treat it as individual category pages or as just one page?

Thanks for the info!

Animal Lover
    Yes the search engines will 'read' it (and all the text you've generated) as an individual page - whether it decides to rank it is another thing. It's what most merchants do - they don't have dozens of static html pages - that would require too much maintenance work if they decide to change the products. So each individual page would be read as a separate page because the 'text' is different. Some webmasters will go a step further by using what's known as mod rewrites ie hiding the url so that it doesn't read like productpage.php?category=category1&page=page1

instead they use a htaccess mod rewrite to force the url to read like
    productpage/category/page1.html

so the url 'looks' like a static html. I think the general concensus is that SEs will not penalize you for having dynamic looking urls so long as it doesn't get too long ie after the question mark you aren't passing 4-5 variables in there to get to the page...

Oscar

Yes the search engines will 'read' it (and all the text you've generated) as an individual page - whether it decides to rank it is another thing. It's what most merchants do - they don't have dozens of static html pages - that would require too much maintenance work if they decide to change the products. So each individual page would be read as a separate page because the 'text' is different. Some webmasters will go a step further by using what's known as mod rewrites ie hiding the url so that it doesn't read like productpage.php?category=category1&page=page1

instead they use a htaccess mod rewrite to force the url to read like
    productpage/category/page1.html

so the url 'looks' like a static html. I think the general concensus is that SEs will not penalize you for having dynamic looking urls so long as it doesn't get too long ie after the question mark you aren't passing 4-5 variables in there to get to the page...

Oscar
    The general concensus may be that dynamic looking urls may get you penalised. From my experience dynamic looking urls will still rank well providing the onpage seo is good and that url isn't 300 characters long. Taking the same page with a mod_rewrite will rank several spots higher. This is just from what I have experimented with. In other words mod_rewrite will not bring you from page 200 to spot 3 on a SE. It may bring you from say spot 11-12 to spot 1-3. I don't have tons of data to prove this but this is the way I lean.
    Don't get me wrong I say I prefer dynamic pages but static have thier place too. I will continue to build static sites and at this point I am tired of doing it by hand and will most likety splurg on a relatively cheap investment like webmerge to reduce my time. I like the fact with dynamic sites you can run crons and not have to worry about prices being out of date as compared to a static site that takes more work. On a static site I like the fact that mod_rewrite is not something your having to "hide" from the SE's ... to me it seems black hat SEO and I prefer to avoid that area of SEO. Of course this is all old hat info to the many who are successful on this board.

Animal Lover
    Point taken Reaper. Static pages are good but really only feasible as you mentioned if you only have a couple of pages to alter...I found out long ago that as your repertoire of sites grows, maintenance of static pages can be a nightmare...especially when the yearly change comes up and I want to alter that little copyright notice down the bottom of the page to reflect the change in year...hand made static pages took me hours to go through all the pages...dynamic pages (when coded to just reflect whichever year it is now) took me no time...

As for whether mod rewrites is black hat SEO well that's something that you have to figure out for yourself.

Oscar

Point taken Reaper. Static pages are good but really only feasible as you mentioned if you only have a couple of pages to alter...I found out long ago that as your repertoire of sites grows, maintenance of static pages can be a nightmare...especially when the yearly change comes up and I want to alter that little copyright notice down the bottom of the page to reflect the change in year...hand made static pages took me hours to go through all the pages...dynamic pages (when coded to just reflect whichever year it is now) took me no time...

As for whether mod rewrites is black hat SEO well that's something that you have to figure out for yourself.

Oscar
    I agree with you on many points. I never really said mod_rewrite was blackhat... though a few would argue otherwise. I have been doing this for over 6 years now and have realised what is white hat yesterday is blackhat today. Remember FFA's and guestbooks. That is why I like to work most of my sites as what as considered white hat today. The SE areana and algos are always changing ... with G and Y defining what hat a webmaster is wearing over time. I never like to have all my eggs in one basket. I still have so much to learn it is alarming.
    And yes one point I will have to agree with I am starting to realise what you had mentioned ... alter that little copyright notice ... it is becomming a problem. I would not still be doing this if I were not in the red. Not complaining just trying to find an easier way to create sites without having to edit or recreate them.

especially when the yearly change comes up and I want to alter that little copyright notice down the bottom of the page to reflect the change in year
    I always just make certain elements of my static pages with "includes" so that I can change those things site wide by changing only one file. To to alter that little copyright notice down the bottom of the page, I would just change the included bottom file and the entire site is done.

In fact, if you take out the includes and the products, all you would be left with on most of my sites would be some blank tables! This allows me to add and remove areas of the site from the navigation on the fly but if the pages are already in the SEs they stay there until the next update when they are discovered to be "orphaned". I usually don't delete pages because even orphaned static pages with "bad" merchants can come up in searches and get people to the sites where they can see other stuff.

Would I still be able to use includes? For instance "include header", "include left naviagtion", "include bottom", "include adsense" and so forth?

With includes, I can also make changes on some pages, "include coupon announcement", and not on others. Is this still a doable thing?

If so, I could probably add these pages to already existing sites rather seamlessly.
    Last edited by SSanf; November 27th, 2005 at 05:52 AM.

SSI includes that is actually a good idea. Too simple and ... well I am going to go slap myself around with a trout ... that is if I can wait for it to thaw.
    After it thaws I'll pan fry it for breakfast so reality can stair me in the face!!! I'm off to bed.
    So much for getting caught up in simplicity and stupidity.

Well, if you want simple solutions, I'm your girl! Simple is all I know how to do!

This is why we have ABW, to help each other without hurting ourselves.

If you have multi-replace or some such, just replace your current copywrite notice with an include on all your pages, make the included file and you will have that done for the year in a few minutes. Or, just do it directly with multi-replace. No need to do every page by hand!

This was fine when I got my copy. As with any download, these days, be sure to make sure thay haven't added anything unpleasant that you don't want.

http://www.cict.co.uk/software/dev/mrep.htm

It has gotten so that you are afraid to recommend anything!

I am certainly glad that Oscar is answering these questions because not knowing the basic things about these kinds of sites has been one very big reason why I haven't persued doing them.
    Last edited by SSanf; November 27th, 2005 at 06:19 AM.

Peter has said that he CAN make My Content Generator for dynamic pages.

He needed a break because he had other things to do. Also, I wasn't doing dynamic pages. I guess, he is broken enough, now.

Maybe, I can get him crackin' on it again.

Might be a real good thing to combine so we do not have "duplicate" sites all over the place.

Using that, includes and other page elements, we might be able to make every page unique enough to get past the SEs filters.
    Just maybe.
    Last edited by SSanf; November 27th, 2005 at 07:20 AM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Now what it needs to do is *automatically* do it, on dynamic sites, when presented with feed data. Like so:

Feed-->[MyContentGenerator auto-fixes the descriptions...AND puts results into database]-->Output onto dynamic MySQL-driven site.

So it doesn't change with every refresh, but only when the webmaster updates the database. G's gotten onto the too-frequent (every refresh) changing thing, in my experience.

Yeah yeah, spec inflation...
    But beer tastes so much better with egg in it!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks! I'll tell Peter.

Animal Lover
    Yes it's doable with SSI includes...for the first page with the categories of the merchant - deeper pages where you need to pass the page AND category variables you need to change the page to have a .php extension to it - but that's okay because it's a 'new' page that you need to create anyway...so instead of having your normal 'text' includes you have php includes ie

<?php include("yourmenunavigation.txt");?>
    <?php include("yourcopyrightnotice.htm");?>

or whatever.

I moved from static pages to SSIs for my copyright notices...then I got even lazier as I learnt php...so now...my copyright notices are like :

<?php
    $thisyear=date('Y');
    echo "Copyright ".$year." Mysitename.com";
    ?>

which means it automatically changes it for me without me needing to touch the file.

Oscar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast