Search Results - search for "failure" on Google
    Here's the trick - search for the word "failure" on MSN, Google, and Yahoo. Notice that the Biography of President George W. Bush comes up as either #1 or #2. (LOL)

But, there's a serious question behind this. There isn't the keyword "failure" anywhere on the page or in the source. How could it possibly be the top ranked page? It's also on a whitehouse.gov TLD, so it probably wasn't some crafty SEO.

At first, I only searched it on Google and I thought somebody at Google was trying to be clever. I'm sort of scratching my head on this one. There is something behind this, because all three search engines claim to independently gather sites and develop their own algorithms.

There's a google bomb meme out there for "miserable failure". The term "miserable" is affected similarly.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by infoTim
    There's a google bomb meme out there for "miserable failure". The term "miserable" is affected similarly.
    I looked more into this based on your post about a Google Bomb. I searched Usenet and figured out that people have been linking in mass to Whitehouse.gov with the keyword "failure."

Most interesting. So, without question, all three search engines rely heavily on links with text in the link for keywords.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liquiddog
    Most interesting. So, without question, all three search engines rely heavily on links with text in the link for keywords.
    Duh.

Duh.
    Not nice Donuts...everyone starts somewhere.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Sometimes posts come across the wrong way. This was meant as a smiling, cheery thing. Maybe "eureka" or "congrats" would have been a better word, but these too could be misunderstood as an insult without more context (which was where I went wrong with this post).

I witnessed a MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR lightbulb going off in a low-count poster and was happy for him/her.

In my mind, this discovery is one of the most important things a new person can come to know. Inbound link anchor text, in my opinion, is by far the most important off-page SEO aspect - and perhaps rivals all the onpage aspects as well.

So congrats to liquiddog for "seeing" it in action.

Thanks. Yes, it "all makes sense now." So here is a question...

I have a bunch of websites all on the same server (IP, etc) and all the domains registered to the same name. So, if I link from one website to another using this method (putting keywords in the anchor tag) will it:

A) Increase my ranking on *any* of the search engines
    B) Do nothing (except maybe generate traffic)
    C) Get me in trouble with any of the search engines

?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I look at that and see there is no advertising. If someone has a political products site, that would be a good keyword to put up an adwords ad for. Say, an Anne Coulter book, or political t-shirts page, etc........
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Google might not like it.
    I've never tried that method cuz I'm to scared. Others may have a more realistic insight. I've always been under the impression Google doesn't like it becuase it crosses the line over to linking schemes in order to boost rankings which is against googles TOS.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Hmm, good point. "Risky." I waited a year to get off page 28 of Google results, so maybe not one of my better ideas.

I spent all morning focusing on getting listed in relevant directories that rank high on Google, and I've already had a few list me. I'm waiting on ten others to respond. I was looking for some kind of direction change. I believe I've maxed out link exchanges. I already traded links with the top dogs for certain keywords, and it does bring a healthy amount of traffic, but I kind of ran out of decent sites to trade with.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar

I have a bunch of websites all on the same server (IP, etc) and all the domains registered to the same name. So, if I link from one website to another using this method (putting keywords in the anchor tag) will it:

?
    It's Russian SERPs Roulette...works fine--until the luck runs out!

Being as obvious as your setup would be, I'd expect it to run out sooner instead of later now that the SEs are onto that game.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

?
    C.

It's called excessive cross-linking and it'll get you dumped in the SERPs.

See #46 here:
    http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/inte...ng-factors.htm

by the way, the site I linked above ain't the bible or rigid scientific fact, just someone's opinion. make sure you read that page's disclaimer at the bottom.

I spent all morning focusing on getting listed in relevant directories that rank high on Google, and I've already had a few list me.
    Now that you've noticed the importance of IBL (inbound link) anchor text words used, I hope you chose your link text wisely in those directories.

Have fun!

Thank you very much for that link and the info. I've been looking for something like that for months and months. The only comment I will make is this ...

Regarding using hyphens in filenames-like-this.html :

Warning! I use this format: FilenamesLikeThis.html and I have a reason. When programming in Java, the correct convention to use for class names is an uppercase first letter and all other words with uppercase. So, this would be a Java class name: JavaClassName. For methods (functions) it would be like this: javaMethodName. I've used both ways for .html filenames just to see if it makes a difference in search engines. (and, it doesn't)

There are other conventions that I have considered trying:

FileNameScheme.html - Java style
    FILE_NAME_SCHEME.html - COBOL/Old School RDMS style
    File_Name_Scheme.html - Kind of a COBOL/Java hybrid, my own creation

Now consider this:

file-name-scheme.html - SEO style

What a better way for a search engine to detect spammers right? The only style that naming convention reflects would be somebody doing SEO. I've seen at least one directory rejecting submissions that have hyphens in filenames site-wide.

Anyway, just an opinion.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread