View Poll Results: What would you choose as the FIRST part of a 3-word domain?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • BEST (as in BestChineseStore.com)

8 61.54%
  • MY (as in MyChineseStore.com)

1 7.69%
  • YOUR (as in YourChineseStore.com)

3 23.08%
  • FIND (as in FindChineseStore.com)

1 7.69%
    Your, my, best, find... ?
    Trying to choose the best-sounding combination for a bunch of three-word domains... Using "Chinese Store" key phrase as an example. There is going to be a bunch of them for "stores" of 'various ethnicity' (each built up as a searchable database of "stores" of one kind). Would love to see your votes on the first part (the best sounding to you).

Please vote.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Geno

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Personally, in most instances where I needed 3 words, I would use words like, "buy red widgets" "discount red widgets" "red widgets sale" "cheap red widgets" "red widgets online" ........JMO though. Giv en those choices, I like 'best'
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

agree with elbowcreek.. 'buy' would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by nish
    agree with elbowcreek.. 'buy' would be my choice.
    Frankly, "buy" would be totally irrelevant. I'm not planning on selling Chinese stores... It is going to be a 'search' site (for regular users like me and you, searching for stuff of particular ethnic origin)

Geno

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    Geno,

"Your, my, best, find... ?" is not very spam-killer software friendly topic either.

"Best" sounds good

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    Depends on whether you are going after quick return (Keywords) or longevity (Branding). If it is a search site then words like find, index, search, are applicable. If branding, then choose a memorable and typable name based on memes from your chosen topic.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Woz
    Depends on whether you are going after quick return (Keywords) or longevity (Branding). If it is a search site then words like find, index, search, are applicable. If branding, then choose a memorable and typable name based on memes from your chosen topic.
    Great contribution! Thank you, Woz!

Geno

From a keyword point of view none of your "Your, my, best, find" options will help at all.
    Since "chinese store" is not a highly sought keyword phrase to start with, the addition of any other word won't help in the search engines.

From a brandability point of view, if the site will be a directory then "find" would probably be your best bet.

Thanks so much for your votes and comments, everyone! Since "Best" is taken in most cases I'm looking at, I myself am leaning more towards "Find". Was surprised to see no votes for it...

Geno

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    One thing I'm seeing neglected is the ending.

A search site offers the viewer more than one choice. So, it should be pluralized, like (using your example):

BestChineseStores or FindChineseStores.

As for "find," a few years back, domains starting with "find" would have had nothing but spam. While the craze of sticking "find" in front of everything seems to have eased, it may be prudent to do a Wayback Machine check to make sure the name you buy hasn't recently had anything obviously SE-bannable on it... After all, when the spammers get banned, they dump the domain, and the next person to buy it may find themselves stuck with an Unrankable due to no fault of their own.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    One thing I'm seeing neglected is the ending.

A search site offers the viewer more than one choice. So, it should be pluralized, like (using your example):

BestChineseStores or FindChineseStores.
    Why would you believe that plural would be more appropriate here?

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    As for "find," a few years back, domains starting with "find" would have had nothing but spam. While the craze of sticking "find" in front of everything seems to have eased, it may be prudent to do a Wayback Machine check to make sure the name you buy hasn't recently had anything obviously SE-bannable on it... After all, when the spammers get banned, they dump the domain, and the next person to buy it may find themselves stuck with an Unrankable due to no fault of their own.
    How can I check on this? Can you shoot me a link please?

Many thanks in advance,

Geno

If what Leader says about dumped domains above is true, how do you check on a domain before buy it?! ANYONE?

Thanks in advance!

Geno

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I had already gone to bed when you made your first response.

I use the Wayback Machine to check domains. Go to www.archive.org and type in the domain you're interested in. If anything comes up from within the last couple of years, take a closer look. If what they had up looks banworthy, stay away. (They don't say whether a domain is banned/penalized, themselves--and the GoogleBar's rating doesn't count since it's actually looking at an archive.org cache. You just have to decide for yourself if you think the prior site looks like it would have been banned/penalized.)

If nothing comes up, or they've been inactive for 3 years or so, chances are things are good.

Why would you believe that plural would be more appropriate here?
    Because you'd be giving the people more than one choice of ChineseStore, if you have a site offering a pick of more than one. So the name should be plural because the amount of stores is.

And if there's not more than one choice, it's not really a search of stores at all, but a search of one store's products. In which case, BestChineseProducts (or something similar) would be it.

If there's not a choice of stores or products, then it's not a search site, it's an ad for a single product; a different concept from searching.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks SO MUCH for your swift reply!!

Geno

Any more votes?

re: 's' on the end
    As pointed out- if directory of stores then the 's' on the end is more appropriate and it seems that more people actually search for "chinese stores" than "chinese store" - not a significant difference, but increases chance of being in those search results.

Some would argue that the 's' just means a longer name and lessens chances of type-ins but with a name as long as findchinesestore(s).com I don't think it'll matter.

Cera

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread