Some good news!
    I'm having good results with the product generator here. Although leary about the FORMat..it seems to be working well

I have a new site (less than 1 month old) that I thought was only going to get traffic from one site linked to it this Christmas. I used the product search for what I was looking for added the products....slightly modifying the descriptions and Bamm the search engines are already giving me more traffic than the linked site.

Hopefully you can actually search and find the products now (from an advertiser you trust), but once the page is up it seems to get indexed fast..in my case anyway.

Todd,
    care to comment on the text that reads

"You must include all the above html in your links. Any missing html, including the image source, will prevent the link from tracking properly and result in a loss of commissions."

Does this mean that if you don't include an image reference in say..Adwords, when using a product feed, that it's not going to track either? Am I breaking any rules by changing the description and adding prices (who wants to click on a link without a price...comon)?

"You must include all the above html in your links. Any missing html, including the image source, will prevent the link from tracking properly and result in a loss of commissions."

They're just trying to discourage novices from boofing up the code.

As far as altering descriptive text; that's a common and advisable practice, so long as you don't do anything misleading.

Some vendors get pretty uptight about affiliates displaying prices if they weren't included in the feed. If there is a price change, it can lead to customer complaints when the current price is not the same as was advertised on the affiliate's site.

yeah I saw the price updating headache coming from a mile away but I know I would not click just to see what the price is..

I wana know the price before I click on a word like BUY

Yes, just "Buy" without a price is stupid. You could change "Buy" to "Click for today's price", "Check Price", or something like that.

I love this Houdini crap going on with the product catalogs...

One minute you have 642 items matching then many more or less when going to the next page. Sometimes an advertiser is listed, sometimes they are not (the very advertiser I'm trying to build for just went MIA).

....it works when you can get it

Yeah, welcome to our world.

As luck would have it, the disappearing product catalog fairy seems to know when you are trying to retrieve links for items that only one vendor carries, so you can't just go off and get links for the same stuff somewhere else.

As of Saturday PC Mall and Discovery Channel were MIA for any product search (just to name 2)

PC Mall search...No Ram, No case... Nada Todo (today - possibly no loss based on previous threads)
    Discovery Channel..search...seems to be working again

Just bringing this back up the list for Todd's review.

It seems that the functionality of product searches have been an issue for some time now.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread