What do merchants see in the CJ interface?
    Just curious - what information can they see about each sale? Referring URLs?
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile
    Hi,

Hope this answers your question.

When we click to view the website associated w/ any particular sale, info about that site displays along with this month's referring URLs and site performance stats.

From within our transactions report, we see the Order # generated by our own system, along with...

-Publisher Name
    -Website
    -Sale Amount (obviously)
    -Commission amount
    -The link ID you used to generate it
    -The event date
    -The date CJ Posted it
    -Cj's transaction ID for the sale

Have a great holiday.

Cheers,

Thanks for the information. If merchants see the referring URL for every sale, doesn't that make it hard for affiliates using PPC? A referring URL from a search engine usually includes the search keywords. So PPC people are giving away their secrets with every sale they make, right?
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Nope- it shows up as a Domain name URL more or less.

For example? If I have an ad in google triggered by, say, "nice rugs", what would the url you see be?

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Strange. I seem to be going through a phase where merchants seem to be "guessing" all my top keywords, no matter how weird, and outbidding me on them...

I don't think they're guessing your specific strategy in most cases/

I think it's more likely that your merchants have an in-house person who is specialized in running PPC campaigns, and it's their job to know what the top performing keywords are to make sure their in-house PPC marketing efforts are successful. I know that's our case, though we do have a good group of great PPC affiliates as well who do extremely well for us.

Frustrating for you, I'm sure, but it sounds to me like they're in-house PPC guy/gal is probably just doing their job.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    Strange. I seem to be going through a phase where merchants seem to be "guessing" all my top keywords, no matter how weird, and outbidding me on them...
    Do you have an affiliate site? Or are you doing direct-to-merchant's-site ppc ads?

Well... I only observed the guessing phenomenon when I did direct-to-merchant. No problems when I go via my affiliate site... hence my suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by RugmanAM
    Frustrating for you, I'm sure, but it sounds to me like they're in-house PPC guy/gal is probably just doing their job.
    Agreed - that could also be it, and I can live with that - it just seemed like too much of a coincidence in some cases...

If you're doing direct to merchant, all types of parameters will be passed to their logs for mining. You can see what is appended in your own logs and it largely depends on how you set up your PPC campaigns within your chosen PPCSEs.

From my logs, the referring URLs from Google do include the keywords. I don't see any way of turning this off from within the Google Adwords interface.

I don't do direct to merchant ppc, but I don't think you can turn them off either. You might try contacting AdWords support.

Thanks for the information.

The merchant doesn't see the referring URL. They see the URL that you have registered on CJ for your site. If you have multiple sites listed in CJ, it's the one associated with the PID that you used in your link.

Most merchants probably have analytics software that tracks referring URLs, keywords, and sales. That doesn't have anything to do with CJ, though.

If you redirect through a page on your own site, then use JavaScript to redirect from there to the merchant's site, it should hide the original referring URL and keywords from the merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I thought they could only see the last referring URL, not two steps back. Wouldn't traffic coming from my site only display my sites URL (even if it came there via PPC)?

I am curious as to what the merchant sees when they have someone sign up for a program. Is it only one website or is it all of them. I use to get turned down when I was using cj
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I thought they could only see the last referring URL, not two steps back. Wouldn't traffic coming from my site only display my sites URL (even if it came there via PPC)?
    Can anyone confirm this?

When there's a string of redirects, most browsers will send the original referrer. For instance, if you're doing PPC on Google through a redirect on your site to a CJ affiliate link and the user is on a Google search results page, the link will go through a Google redirect, your site, a couple CJ sites, then to the merchant. At each point, the referer will show the Google search results page rather than the previous step. Using JavaScript stops that. Instead, it will show no referrer.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Got it - thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    When there's a string of redirects, most browsers will send the original referrer. For instance, if you're doing PPC on Google through a redirect on your site to a CJ affiliate link and the user is on a Google search results page, the link will go through a Google redirect, your site, a couple CJ sites, then to the merchant. At each point, the referer will show the Google search results page rather than the previous step. Using JavaScript stops that. Instead, it will show no referrer.
    One problem with the Javascript redirect approach seems to be that if users can't click on their back button to go back to the search results (a condition for google ads, for example.) Instead they only go back to the redirect site and that loops them right back to the merchant landing page. Is there any solution to this?

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I am curious as to what the merchant sees when they have someone sign up for a program. Is it only one website or is it all of them. I use to get turned down when I was using cj
    Good morning,

We see your entire CJ profile - that includes your Publisher name and CID, your network performance to present (EPC), all websites you have chosen to list on your CJ Profile along with each associated PID and that's more or less it.

At least, for those of us using CJ Access that is. Not sure about the other merchant membership types but I know on BFast they can get your phone # and email etc as well.

If you were getting turned down it could simply have been that you had either no sites listed to your profile, that you had just a www.google.com URL listed as your own (I see this a lot), that you didn't have a site listed to your profile that gave any indication of strategic alignment to the merchant upon review (i.e. - a golf products merchant will likely look for a site on your profile dedicated to sports, golf, etc.).

Or - you might have been using an incentive - some merchants won't work with any incentive affiliate whatsoever - some will only work with certain types of incentives.

Just some thoughts...

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread