Search and multiple sub categories
    I wanted to use sub categories (from one vendor) on different pages so I could SEO the pages. I included a search box on each page, then tested.

If I search for an item from Category B on a Category A page, it does bring up a page of results, however, the Cateogry A crumb trail is the one that still shows and only one page shows from Category B with no way to navigate to other pages in that category.

Users would find it logical to search through items in different categories in a vendor's store, but the only way to accomplish this now is to create one entire store with a search.

There's no way to create individual pages that can be linked together with a search box, so if you want to SEO pages, you'll have to do without a search box, otherwise, users will get very confused.

Also, if a user places a term that can't be found, there's no message, just a blank page. It would be great if a message such as "try another term" or something appropriate could be generated.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I guess we could put suggested "keyword" links to common searches that show great results. Cut-n-paste some of your domains's GC favorite URLs. Could be effect for a page SEO optomized for a certain sub-category. Save specific search links for multi-merchants below the specific GC merchants sub-category code. I guess you could also place the GC multi-merchant search box below the GC regular display for cross merchant offerings.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ecomcity,

Thanks for the search tips! But I don't have time to deal with all the keyword stuff, so I'm just going to put it on the back burner for now. But will save this info for the future.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread