Google Tracking Question
    I've skimmed over the GC site and through this forum without finding insight for my question. If I've overlooked something obvious related to my question I offer my apology.

I'm assuming at this point that Google Adwords conversion tracking is an intergral part of the GC setup because Wednesday (my first or second day utilizing GC) my Adwords account indicated that I made two sales (via Conv. Rate stats) with wonderfulbuys.com and one yesterday with rugman. My CJ account shows clicks being registered. However, no sales have registered at CJ.

Is this a tracking oddity with Adwords, that it often indicates conversions when there are none or is there something more serious at work with my setup that I need to pursue?

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Hi there JWG,

Has this issue been resolved for you yet?

Not sure what your PID our Publisher name is... can you please PM me so we can try to resolve the issue if it remains outstanding? I can let you know what I see on my end and go from there...

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
    Liz

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Did you get those merchants to put your tracking conversion snippet within their check-out systems to work properly to count your conversions (the ones that are sales)?

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    That's what Paul & I were just discussing... we don't know how that could have registered at all.

JWG - I just realized you don't have PM access yet. Please email me - AffiliatesATRugmanDOTcom.

Thx,
    Liz

Affiliate Manager
    Hi JWG,

Just as Liz indicated, I too would appreciate it if you could PM me your details, so that we can look into this matter...

Thanks.

Amy

Also, can you explain how this relates to the GoldenCAN integration.... as I'm not completely sure of the connection.

Thanks,

Paul

Ok, this will be a little bit of a memory test for me but it's not complicated so we should be okay. (Just covering myself in case something doesn't fit.)

In CJ I have several websites registered and over the last year have made a few hundred dollars. Thank God for other AM programs. Point being that I'm not brand new but hardly an expert either.

I signed up with GC and used two of my websites so registered two separate PID's with GC, entered the appropriate javascript on the individual sites, got it looking okay to me and started up Adword campaigns for each site. One carried rugman and the other kitchen stuff from wonderfulbuys.

Here's what I see in Adwords:
    Rugman
    106 clicks
    Conversion rate .94%
    Conversion cost 13.08

Wonderfulbuys
    268 clicks
    Conversion rate 1.87%
    Conversion cost 2.03

CJ shows squat. At the time I posted above it didn't concern me that impressions/clicks weren't showing. GC seemed so simple that I knew I couldn't mess it up and within a day I saw conversion figures from Adwords. But, no sales/commissions ever showed up.

Frankly I figured GC got my first three sales because it caught my 4th click on each one. With odds working out that badly in practice I counted it all a loss and moved on.

Additionally, I threw shopperschoice on yet another website that gets 6,000 visitors a month. Their stuff shows above the fold on every page. Zip after two weeks but at least some impressions and clicks show in CJ. Again, no sales so I've just written the whole GoldenCan thing off as a bunch of wasted time.

And, as you can see, no input from GC since my post so, moving on. However, if I'd implemented something incorrectly and now I have some help figuring this out then it can all be reconsidered.

How is Adwords showing conversion rate info? Dang if I know. I'm not a programmer. I just figured GC had something cooking on their end. No impressions? I wouldn't necessarily care if only sales were posting but no sales ever posted to my CJ account.

Jim

Mr. GoldenCan
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg
    Here's what I see in Adwords:
    Rugman
    106 clicks
    Conversion rate .94%
    Conversion cost 13.08

Wonderfulbuys
    268 clicks
    Conversion rate 1.87%
    Conversion cost 2.03
    Jim
    Hi Jim,
    How are you measuring the conversion rate? Are you using the AdWord conversation tracking on your website or on Merchant Site ie. Rugman or Wonderfulbuys?

It seems most likely that Google is picking up some action from your site and "thinking" it's a conversion/sale... because it really shouldn't read as a conversion once the click goes from Google to your site then from your site to the Wonderfulbuys site then to sale, unless you've got a deal with the specific merchant to track your Google ID activity in their checkout (which is very unusual) .

I may be wrong, but that seems like a likely answer to a perplexing question....

Paul

"Hi Jim,
    How are you measuring the conversion rate? Are you using the AdWord conversation tracking on your website or on Merchant Site ie. Rugman or Wonderfulbuys?"

As I've mentioned twice and it was the primary reason for beginning this thread, Adwords just showed conversion statistics indicating completed sales right from day one. Again, I really don't know how Adwords could gather conversion statistics.

As a wild guess I would have gone somewhere along the lines of thinking that upon GC working out a deal with Merchant A part of the arrangement would be that Merchant A would put a line of GoldenCan code in their Thank You page which would do only God knows what and *IF* the affiliate was using Adwords to drive traffic would interact with Adword's tracking javascript to provide the stats I'm seeing in my account. The concept was/is at least plausible to my non-programmers mind.

Consider my first post reworded to ask: I'm seeing conversion data in Adwords that apparantly is resulting from sales made through GoldenCan. How is that possible???? And, if it is possible then where is my commission?

I assure you that I have no clue how this is happening. Any Adwords tracking javascript that I could install would be on *my* pages and not on any pages the customer sees when they click on an item generated through GoldenCan. I don't see how Adwords could mistakenly read tracking code from my "thank you" page when GoldenCan customers never see it.

So, I think I can assume this is some kind of weird anomaly from Adwords and in fact I've never made a sale through GoldenCan?

No big deal on the conversion stats. The answer seems to be that no one knows. Oh, but how come CJ isn't registering impressions or clicks on two of three programs? At this point I think the previous question is more of a rhetorical question.

Back to Webmerge, I guess.

Paul, I think you have it. Unexplainable strangeness from Adwords.

Mr. GoldenCan
    Hi Jim,
    GoldenCAN do not have any kind of tracking place on merchant's thank you page for AdWords so we are not sure why AdWords is showing the conversation.

Can you please tell me what merchants are not showing Clicks?

GoldenCAN do not display the impression code so you will not see any page views in CJ or any other network.

You can see the page view count in your GoldenCAN account.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    This has nothing at all to do with GC. I use Google AdWords conversion tracking in many ways, for myself and for consulting clients. I guarantee you this has nothing to do with GC.

Now, within AdWords' conversion tracking, you can define different things that represent a "conversion". One would be an actual sale at the merchant's cart - if you could convince the merchant to do the custimization for you (I have done this with several, but it's RARE! I don't know a single other affiliate who does this). I'll bet you $10, without knowing anything other than your posts, that you do not have the AdWords tracking code snippet on either of these merchants. I have asked one of them and got a "what?".

You should go back into your AdWords account and see how you defined a "conversion" in the conversion tracking section. It is possible, for instance, to define a hand-off from your site to a merchant's site as a "conversion" and to even assign it a dollar value. You could define a registration page, like a newletter signup, being referred to, or completed, as a "conversion". Wherever the feedback loop is being closed, it's on a page where most likely YOU have taken your unique adwords conversion tracking code snippet and installed it on a page somewhere. Search your site for the snippet.

Another way I have seen this happen is... an affiliate has an AdWords campaign / ad group set up to land somewhere... they insert the tracking snippet somewhere... later, they re-tool their AdWords campaign or an Ad Group and point it at something entirely different... and they forget they left the tracking snippet in place elsewhere to monitor their earlier efforts... and the wires get crossed... current ppc is doing one thing - but is tracking conversions for something earlier done and entirely different...

Think back to where else you've pointed this campaign/ad group at PLUS look at your present conversion tracking setup choices and search your site for the snippet, and I think you'll find your answer.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread